How is the Corp. world?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
say again said:
If I had the chance to go back to the airlines now, I would have to say no. Do I want to get back into the airlines?? Yes. Job security and pay are the leading factors. Unless I find the "perfect" corp gig, I do see myself heading back in that direction. I will not go back to the regionals though, I'm thinking Southwest, JetBlue, etc and we all know it's quite difficult these days. Until any of these scenarios happen, I'm staying put where I am.
That is precisely why corporate flight department managers are so frequently loath to hire furloughed airline guys. It costs a bunch of money to get someone up to speed and keep them current. It's a poor investment if the guy is a "flight risk" (pardon the pun) and is even contemplating a return to 121. We recently lost a pilot to 121, and it left a bad taste in our bosses mouth. If we were ever to hire another furloughed or ex-121 type I'd ask them to resign their seniority number.

'Sled

Dangerkitty said:
I am now at the job of my dreams and WILL NOT be going back to American.

What's the matter? 20 days a month on reserve for the next 5 years not appeal to you? I have a friend who will put a bounty on my head if I even think of going back... ;)

As I've said before, corporate is a HUGE adjustment for those who have never done it. A lot of airline guys simply don't like the job. Sure, if I could go back to TWA in the summer of '01 I'd do it in a heartbeat. But I can't. It doesn't exist anymore--and I'm not just talking about TWA. The airline business has changed forever.

I'm sure the senior guys at AirTran, JB and SWA are having a good time--but, unlike corporate, there are no lateral moves in the airline biz.

Besides, after a couple of years of not commuting, I'm pretty set in my ways. Or maybe it's just the free vacations courtesy of Marriott Rewards... :D TC

I have known many furloughed airline pilots that went corporate during my career. the majority never went back- just a couple that went back only to be kicked to the curb a couple years later. crawled back with tail between legs to be rehired, which they were. just depends. timing is everything.

Ok, I'll be the long voice of descent in this discussion. I flew for a regional, was furloughed right after 9/11, got a corporate job flying a Citation. The pay was fantastic - far more than I'd ever make at the airline. The hotels we stayed at: top notch, and we kept the points. I didn't have any problems with the service aspect of the business (loading luggage, serving catering, etc), I actually thought some of it was fun.

The problem with corporate/charter/fractionals is very simply schedule. The schedule was so bad that I could never plan to do anything with anyone. All the money I was making sure bought a lot of beers at hotels in strange cities, but didn't help me all that much on the home front.

In the end, I returned to my regional when recalled and it was the right decision for me. I'm happy with the schedule and can manipulate it enough that I've gotten a fun side-job that pays well. Also, IMHO the flying is a lot better at the regional I fly at - and safer too. Sure, the pay still stinks, and well, the hotels mostly suck, but the lesson I learned is that schedule rules and many corporate gigs have none.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

semperfido said:
just goes to show-- diff strokes fo diff folks.:)

Amen bro. Take me for example: I just don't mind being on call. Never have. I have scheduled days off, vacation time, etc, so the rest of the time, when I'm on call, I just don't care. I plan stuff on my days off, and the rest of the time, I just play golf or whatever. ;)

I am also a huge fan of sleeping in my own bed almost every night. :)

Time2Spare said:
The problem with corporate/charter/fractionals is very simply schedule. The schedule was so bad that I could never plan to do anything with anyone. All the money I was making sure bought a lot of beers at hotels in strange cities, but didn't help me all that much on the home front.
Please don't mixup corporate flying with charter/fractional flying. It ain't the same beast. Charter/Fractional flying sucks. It's at the bottom rung of the flying ladder.

'Sled

English said:
English...
You're a huge fan of sleeping in CapnVetto's bed every night???

Just wondering, I don't think that came across the way you meant it. :p

'Sled

Uh....wait a minute....

I love sleeping in MY bed every night.

Almost had a furr ball.

Latest resources

Back