• This site moved from forums.flightinfo.com to flightinfo.com. Please update your bookmarks.

How is the Corp. world?

Steepturn

Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2004
Posts
8
Total Time
-1
I'm currently at a regional and thinking about going to the corporate side and wanted some honest opinions on QOL, pay, etc...
I want to make an informed decision and was hoping for some feedback.

Thanks,
Steepturn
 

Lead Sled

Sitt'n on the throne...
Joined
Apr 1, 2004
Posts
2,066
Total Time
> enuf
Steepturn said:
I'm currently at a regional and thinking about going to the corporate side and wanted some honest opinions on QOL, pay, etc...
I want to make an informed decision and was hoping for some feedback.
If you find the right job you'll wake up every morning pinching yourself to see if it's really true. If you don't find the right job you'll wake up every morning dreading the thought that you have to go to work - just like it is now with a regional. Steepturn, come to the darkside. You can do it.

'Sled
 

Gulfstream 200

Database Expert
Joined
Jan 21, 2002
Posts
4,574
Total Time
18,550
No different than the airline world.

There are jobs that pay 16K/yr and there are jobs that pay 300K/yr.

QOL varies just as much.

There is hiring going on in the corp world but the decent jobs are most likely NOT filled by regional pilots. Just like the airlines, corp jobs are being vacated by Viet era guys nearing retirement.

Not to deter you or burst your bubble but regional pilot resume may wind up at the bottom of the stack (at best) for a good job....but the other side of it the entry level job (charter/on demand) etc may have a spot for you...

Like always, there is no lack of qualified pilots. Its not like they are trying ot fill a class of 20 pilots making less than 20K/yr.

Good Luck!

If you have specifics about areas or companies just ask. You will get help. Keep in mind its the web...I have seen wildly innaccurate info passed around on my own and other companies!

one thing for sure, with a decent corp gig you wont want to go back to airlines...especially after the last 4-5 yrs.
 
Last edited:

Dangerkitty

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 21, 2004
Posts
1,353
Total Time
8700
Gulfstream 200 said:
No different than the airline world.

There are jobs that pay 16K/yr and there are jobs that pay 300K/yr.

QOL varies just as much.

There is hiring going on in the corp world but the decent jobs are most likely NOT filled by regional pilots. Just like the airlines, corp jobs are being vacated by Viet era guys nearing retirement.

Not to deter you or burst your bubble but regional pilot resume may wind up at the bottom of the stack (at best) for a good job....but the other side of it the entry level job (charter/on demand) etc may have a spot for you...

Like always, there is no lack of qualified pilots. Its not like they are trying ot fill a class of 20 pilots making less than 20K/yr.

Good Luck!

If you have specifics about areas or companies just ask. You will get help. Keep in mind its the web...I have seen wildly innaccurate info passed around on my own and other companies!

one thing for sure, with a decent corp gig you wont want to go back to airlines...especially after the last 4-5 yrs.
Gulfstream 200 speaks the truth. After I was furloughed from AA I was treated like a leper in the Corporate World until I was able to get a Lear 60 job that typed me on the 60. Once I got that Corporate Jet type and a few months of Corporate flying I was offered a few jobs and had to turn several down.

I am now at the job of my dreams and WILL NOT be going back to American.
However I have been very very very lucky and was in the right place at the right time.
 

semperfido

Keep Humpin
Joined
Dec 5, 2004
Posts
1,873
Total Time
11K+
most all the corp guys i have been associated with over the last 20 yrs have been fairly well satisfied with their jobs. evidenced by zero turn- over at the places i have worked. that is not to say there are plenty of not-so-good places as well. there is a huge disparity between either end of the spectrum. timing is everything.:)
 

Steepturn

Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2004
Posts
8
Total Time
-1
Any good corp. jobs in IL. I had an idea most corp. places didn't like Airline guys, but I didn't think that they really wouldn't hire someone because of it. Just to let you guys know, I'm not one of those SJS guys either. I fly a turboprop and work my tail off. I really appreciate all of the feedback so far. Any advice on how to break into the corp. side would be great. Once again thanks for the quality posts.

Steepturn
 

sydeseet

Huge Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2001
Posts
575
Total Time
5001
Steepturn said:
Any good corp. jobs in IL. I had an idea most corp. places didn't like Airline guys, but I didn't think that they really wouldn't hire someone because of it. Just to let you guys know, I'm not one of those SJS guys either. I fly a turboprop and work my tail off. I really appreciate all of the feedback so far. Any advice on how to break into the corp. side would be great. Once again thanks for the quality posts.

Steepturn
It isn't that airline pilots are black-listed from the corporate world it's that most department managers have interviewed a few to many of the "I'm to experienced to fly right seat in a lear and fetch ice & coffee" crowd to even give them the time of day anymore. It DOES NOT MATTER what you have been flying or where you've been flying it. What matters is that you can demonstrate a concern for customer service even if it requires fetching a roll of toilet paper for the CEO's bratty little kid. True story. Many airline folks hear about some of the things I've done for passengers and roll their eyes with great disdain. Not exactly the attitude that a successful business person is willing to put up with.

I was recently, VERY RECENTLY in fact, offered the last position I ever intend to pursue. It happened so fast that my head is still spinning but when the spinning stops I'm going to find myself in the middle of a very sweet dream that I doubt will ever end. I was hired over the top of a stack of airline resumes with far more jet PIC time because I have a solid history of general aviation experience and I came across as someone willing to fetch a cup of coffee for the CEO without losing the smile that I greeted him with.

If customer service the Ritz Carlton way is okay with you and you're willing to work the trenches in an on-call King Air or Lear for a little while then you should do just fine. Those are the typical entry level corporate jobs, even for folks with several years of airline experience. After that; network like crazy and you may just get lucky.

SS
 

say again

I love her ARSE!!!!
Joined
Mar 14, 2005
Posts
4,006
Total Time
5500
Lead Sled said:
If you find the right job you'll wake up every morning pinching yourself to see if it's really true. If you don't find the right job you'll wake up every morning dreading the thought that you have to go to work - just like it is now with a regional. Steepturn, come to the darkside. You can do it.

'Sled
I'm an airline guy (furloughed) who turned corp. I have to say that I definately had a better time at the airlines:D . The people, travelling, my shedule (surprisingly good) were great. That being said, I'm making a helluva lot more money where I am now. If I had the chance to go back to the airlines now, I would have to say no. Do I want to get back into the airlines?? Yes. Job security and pay are the leading factors. Unless I find the "perfect" corp gig, I do see myself heading back in that direction. I will not go back to the regionals though, I'm thinking Southwest, JetBlue, etc and we all know it's quite difficult these days. Until any of these scenarios happen, I'm staying put where I am.
 

CapnVegetto

The Prince of all Saiyans
Joined
Mar 24, 2005
Posts
1,981
Total Time
4500
Really good advice from everyone here, but they are right....most good corporate departments tend to stay away from airline guys. With no corporate experience it'll be difficult in the extreme. You're already ahead of the game, because you have the total time, multi, turbine, and all that jazz that make you insurable. What you need now is type experience. Most departments are hard to convince to fork over $20K or so for initial training when they can hire Joe Blow who they only have to send to recurrent. Best thing to do is find an entry level charter job, preferably one where you can upgrade fast, get some corporate experience under your belt, a type rating or two, some PIC time, and you're good to go. Rebuild a resume highlighting any corporate experience you have, and fire them out. Calls will come.

I've done the regionals and the airlines also, and I'm paying my dues in 135 hell right now. But IMHO, the crappiest 135 job is head and shoulders better than the regionals. Even at my crappy charter job, I still get to spend a weekend at an all-inclusive resort in the Bahamas every once in a while....or a couple of days in Vega$, or some beach locale somewhere, or just a decent overnight to some town where I can get away from a while.....all on someone else's dime. I work less, make more money, and am actually treated OK by management, and this is at the bottom of the barrel!

Of course, it's your life and your career, just because I like it doesn't mean everyone does. Give it a shot. If you hate it, no biggie, go back to the airlines. Best of luck to ya!
 

Lead Sled

Sitt'n on the throne...
Joined
Apr 1, 2004
Posts
2,066
Total Time
> enuf
say again said:
If I had the chance to go back to the airlines now, I would have to say no. Do I want to get back into the airlines?? Yes. Job security and pay are the leading factors. Unless I find the "perfect" corp gig, I do see myself heading back in that direction. I will not go back to the regionals though, I'm thinking Southwest, JetBlue, etc and we all know it's quite difficult these days. Until any of these scenarios happen, I'm staying put where I am.
That is precisely why corporate flight department managers are so frequently loath to hire furloughed airline guys. It costs a bunch of money to get someone up to speed and keep them current. It's a poor investment if the guy is a "flight risk" (pardon the pun) and is even contemplating a return to 121. We recently lost a pilot to 121, and it left a bad taste in our bosses mouth. If we were ever to hire another furloughed or ex-121 type I'd ask them to resign their seniority number.

'Sled
 

AA717driver

A simpler time...
Joined
Mar 27, 2003
Posts
4,911
Total Time
+/-13k
Dangerkitty said:
I am now at the job of my dreams and WILL NOT be going back to American.
What's the matter? 20 days a month on reserve for the next 5 years not appeal to you? I have a friend who will put a bounty on my head if I even think of going back... ;)

As I've said before, corporate is a HUGE adjustment for those who have never done it. A lot of airline guys simply don't like the job. Sure, if I could go back to TWA in the summer of '01 I'd do it in a heartbeat. But I can't. It doesn't exist anymore--and I'm not just talking about TWA. The airline business has changed forever.

I'm sure the senior guys at AirTran, JB and SWA are having a good time--but, unlike corporate, there are no lateral moves in the airline biz.

Besides, after a couple of years of not commuting, I'm pretty set in my ways. Or maybe it's just the free vacations courtesy of Marriott Rewards... :D TC
 

semperfido

Keep Humpin
Joined
Dec 5, 2004
Posts
1,873
Total Time
11K+
I have known many furloughed airline pilots that went corporate during my career. the majority never went back- just a couple that went back only to be kicked to the curb a couple years later. crawled back with tail between legs to be rehired, which they were. just depends. timing is everything.
 

SLFLYHI

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 20, 2002
Posts
156
Total Time
1500+
Ok, I'll be the long voice of descent in this discussion. I flew for a regional, was furloughed right after 9/11, got a corporate job flying a Citation. The pay was fantastic - far more than I'd ever make at the airline. The hotels we stayed at: top notch, and we kept the points. I didn't have any problems with the service aspect of the business (loading luggage, serving catering, etc), I actually thought some of it was fun.

The problem with corporate/charter/fractionals is very simply schedule. The schedule was so bad that I could never plan to do anything with anyone. All the money I was making sure bought a lot of beers at hotels in strange cities, but didn't help me all that much on the home front.

In the end, I returned to my regional when recalled and it was the right decision for me. I'm happy with the schedule and can manipulate it enough that I've gotten a fun side-job that pays well. Also, IMHO the flying is a lot better at the regional I fly at - and safer too. Sure, the pay still stinks, and well, the hotels mostly suck, but the lesson I learned is that schedule rules and many corporate gigs have none.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.
 

CapnVegetto

The Prince of all Saiyans
Joined
Mar 24, 2005
Posts
1,981
Total Time
4500
semperfido said:
just goes to show-- diff strokes fo diff folks.:)
Amen bro. Take me for example: I just don't mind being on call. Never have. I have scheduled days off, vacation time, etc, so the rest of the time, when I'm on call, I just don't care. I plan stuff on my days off, and the rest of the time, I just play golf or whatever. ;)

I am also a huge fan of sleeping in my own bed almost every night. :)
 

English

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 26, 2001
Posts
3,374
Total Time
1
CapnVegetto said:
I am also a huge fan of sleeping in my own bed almost every night. :)


YES!!!!
 

Lead Sled

Sitt'n on the throne...
Joined
Apr 1, 2004
Posts
2,066
Total Time
> enuf
Time2Spare said:
The problem with corporate/charter/fractionals is very simply schedule. The schedule was so bad that I could never plan to do anything with anyone. All the money I was making sure bought a lot of beers at hotels in strange cities, but didn't help me all that much on the home front.
Please don't mixup corporate flying with charter/fractional flying. It ain't the same beast. Charter/Fractional flying sucks. It's at the bottom rung of the flying ladder.

'Sled
 

Lead Sled

Sitt'n on the throne...
Joined
Apr 1, 2004
Posts
2,066
Total Time
> enuf
English said:
English...
You're a huge fan of sleeping in CapnVetto's bed every night???

Just wondering, I don't think that came across the way you meant it. :p

'Sled
 

English

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 26, 2001
Posts
3,374
Total Time
1
Uh....wait a minute....


I love sleeping in MY bed every night.


Almost had a furr ball.
 
Top