• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

House Passes Airline Safety and Pilot Training Improvement Act of 2009

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know a guy that went from zero time to multi commercial certificate in 3 months. The game will change; there will no longer be ma and pop flight schools but instead pilot factories that turn out pilots in mere months. You'll still have to get your 1500 hrs though.

Many seem to keep stating that a new pilot will have to pay for all this flight time or that there will be pilot factories pumping out guys. Even if student pilots paid for this flight time, which would be nearly impossible to do, it would take 1.5+ years if you flew 3 hours a day everyday.

What ever happened to working to gain your experience and flight time? After I got my commercial rating I started to flight instruct. I was in college at the time and built over 1900+ hours of instruction. By the time I was hired at a regional when I graduated college, I had 2300+ hours which included 275+ hours of multi time. It doesn't hurt to earn your keep.

Some may argue that the pilot training group will dry up with no one having the money or time to dedicate to the "new" airline requirements. I disagree. Nearly all my students were middle aged adults who just wanted to learn to fly for fun. Not everyone who learns to fly wants to be an airline pilot.

Some argue that flying around a traffic pattern or flying holds with students for hours is pointless. I fully disagree. Those hours of instruction help teach you to think ahead, anticipate moves, solve problems, and to be a leader in the flightdeck (even in a 172). While instructing I had in-flight emergencies from smoke in the cockpit, radios failures, gear collapsing on landing, etc.; I saw things, was challenged and had to think quickly. It's what helps shape you and prepare you for an airline job.

And by the way, my first job paid 17k a year and I did pay for my ATP.

I could see how the airlines might be able to get around this. They could just pair the FO up with an instructor, tell the FO he is the PIC for the purposes of this evaluation, and then give him an ATP checkride. Just because he would be tested as a PIC does not mean the airline has to employ him as a captain. It actually would be a very cheap exercise for the airline.

Unbelievable...just "tell" the FO he is the PIC? Shall we have revenue pax on board while we do his check ride? Do you read the FARs?

This is why they are re-writing the regs.

T8

I believe the ATP checkride has to be a PIC evaluation, so if that's the case, the airline won't be able to administer that ride unless its an upgrade scenario. Perhaps the PTS will have to change to meet that requirement.

Most airlines (other than Regionals) full (no SIC BS) type everyone one. Having the full type has nothing to do with upgrade or being the PIC. And it does not mean you can act as the PIC. To be a PIC you still need a Fed Ride, and a few other things.

121 carriers should have always had flight minimums, at least to match 135 mins.

I could see how the airlines might be able to get around this. They could just pair the FO up with an instructor, tell the FO he is the PIC for the purposes of this evaluation, and then give him an ATP checkride. Just because he would be tested as a PIC does not mean the airline has to employ him as a captain. It actually would be a very cheap exercise for the airline.

Your right it would be cheap. All it would take is short training event and a Type Ride in a Sim.

I dont know how you could be a PIC without actually passing a Fed Ride. A type rating does not mean your a Pic.

I believe the ATP checkride has to be a PIC evaluation, so if that's the case, the airline won't be able to administer that ride unless its an upgrade scenario. Perhaps the PTS will have to change to meet that requirement.

Perhaps it shouldn't. I'll trade experience and time for a certificate anyday. Raising the bar, only to put a step stool in front of it, degrades everyone.

Most airlines (other than Regionals) full (no SIC BS) type everyone one. Having the full type has nothing to do with upgrade or being the PIC. And it does not mean you can act as the PIC. To be a PIC you still need a Fed Ride, and a few other things.

121 carriers should have always had flight minimums, at least to match 135 mins.

Guys we're not talking about types here. You can get a full type at 300 hours and a private pilot certificate. It's been done its currently being done, although not at the 121 level.

Airlines MAY be issuing types to F/O's, but are they administering the ATP checkride, not just type training. There is a difference. A majority of the info is covered under the type ride, just a different section of the 8710.3d handbook that has to be followed.

Hi!

The bill REQUIRES an ATP for Part 121.

But, what about:
Part 135
Part 125
Part 91 Subpart K
Part 91 Subpart F
???

cliff
NBO

Some argue that flying around a traffic pattern or flying holds with students for hours is pointless. I fully disagree. Those hours of instruction help teach you to think ahead, anticipate moves, solve problems, and to be a leader in the flightdeck (even in a 172). While instructing I had in-flight emergencies from smoke in the cockpit, radios failures, gear collapsing on landing, etc.; I saw things, was challenged and had to think quickly. It's what helps shape you and prepare you for an airline job.

And by the way, my first job paid 17k a year and I did pay for my ATP.

No offense, but you valuing your hard work and hours building to the tune of working up to a $17k/year job is exactly the problem. If you really worked years and years to achieve the skills to be able to get an ATP, and think those skills are marketable, then working for $17k/year after paying for your own ATP is terrible.

No offense, but you valuing your hard work and hours building to the tune of working up to a $17k/year job is exactly the problem. If you really worked years and years to achieve the skills to be able to get an ATP, and think those skills are marketable, then working for $17k/year after paying for your own ATP is terrible.

It's easy to judge this from the sideline, but comments like this are generally pointless. No offense to you, but the goal isn't a $17k/year job. If there was another way to get there, as in not the military, people would take it. Everyone would like to be a 74 Captain, but nowadays that typically means time in a seat that you don't really want. I'm referring to the $17k/year RJ fo job.

Latest resources

Back