• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

House Passes Airline Safety and Pilot Training Improvement Act of 2009

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's easy to judge this from the sideline, but comments like this are generally pointless. No offense to you, but the goal isn't a $17k/year job. If there was another way to get there, as in not the military, people would take it. Everyone would like to be a 74 Captain, but nowadays that typically means time in a seat that you don't really want. I'm referring to the $17k/year RJ fo job.

The "goal" is precisely what caused the "$17k/yr RJ job...ALPA created very high pay at the top which was subsidized by low entry pay. In hindsight, the corporate pilot pay model works better...Lower top end pay, and higher entry pay.

The "goal" is precisely what caused the "$17k/yr RJ job...ALPA created very high pay at the top which was subsidized by low entry pay. In hindsight, the corporate pilot pay model works better...Lower top end pay, and higher entry pay.

There's a lot of truth to this. Except the corporate pilot part.

That being said, this isn't just an ALPA deal. UAW, Teamsters, just about any member of the AFL/CIO fits the description given.

That being said, this isn't just an ALPA deal. UAW, Teamsters, just about any member of the AFL/CIO fits the description given.

It is especially bad with ALPA/APA...Very large gap between top and bottom, although that gap has narrowed as the top has come down and the bottom has come up.

Most corporate jobs start higher than regional jobs, but don't top out as much as airline jobs...Probably a better model....

This bill is having trouble in the senate so far, a left and a right to the kisser. This bill is starting to wobble. I wouldn't get too happy just yet.

The only part of the bill that is having trouble in the Senate is the part allowing pilots to use some sort of approved college credit in place of flight hours. Senator Schumer is doing his best to get that part killed, but he supports the rest of the bill.

The only part of the bill that is having trouble in the Senate is the part allowing pilots to use some sort of approved college credit in place of flight hours. Senator Schumer is doing his best to get that part killed, but he supports the rest of the bill.

I believe a senator of Tenn, who is in big purples pocket has this bill tied up with the big purple bill saying you better layoff trying to allow easy access for big purple's drivers to unionize or he plans to vote no, killing the aviation safety bill.

I believe a senator of Tenn, who is in big purples pocket has this bill tied up with the big purple bill saying you better layoff trying to allow easy access for big purple's drivers to unionize or he plans to vote no, killing the aviation safety bill.

Sen. Baucus still says he's going to move the bill out of committee before the end of the year. He may end up stripping the FedEx provision out to do it, but frankly, that provision is of no importance to our profession. It's just something on the Teamsters wishlist to make it easier to organize FedEx ground workers. I'd love to see it happen, but linking it to this bill isn't necessary, and Schumer will make sure that it gets stripped out if necessary to get Baucus to move the bill to the floor.

Hi!

Reading some of these posts reminded me of something:
I started out as a 2LT pilot trainee, making about $15K/year. I ended as a capt making $48K. I paid for my own ATP, and could not get a job. I turned down Comair's offer of paying $14K for my own training, to start with them as an FO at $14.4/year. And then I sat in non-flying jobs for 9 years.

cliff
NBO

It goes beyond the pilot professions. Our culture of having the newbie "pay his dues" is prevelant in most professions. Only a tool would place the onus on a single organization....

It's easy to judge this from the sideline, but comments like this are generally pointless. No offense to you, but the goal isn't a $17k/year job. If there was another way to get there, as in not the military, people would take it. Everyone would like to be a 74 Captain, but nowadays that typically means time in a seat that you don't really want. I'm referring to the $17k/year RJ fo job.

Well, then why do you guys complain all damned day about low wages and crappy work hours? You obviously believe that you are worth every dime of the pay that you are willing to take in hopes that maybe someday you will be paid better later. You weren't even tricked into taking this job.

Well, then why do you guys complain all damned day about low wages and crappy work hours? You obviously believe that you are worth every dime of the pay that you are willing to take in hopes that maybe someday you will be paid better later. You weren't even tricked into taking this job.

What do you recommend for an alternative? Instead of these guys not taking the job as you suggest... who should?

Latest resources

Back