• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

House Passes Airline Safety and Pilot Training Improvement Act of 2009

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I just looked at Mesa's 900 rate for 8 year captain.....76 bucks. What regional can say that sucks?

I can say that sucks.

Include soft pay from a decent contract and all it takes is one cancellation or some delays or block or better to close that gap. And that wouldn't matter if the planes were the same size, but we're talking -900's vs 50 seaters here.

How can people flying 50 seaters expect better pay when bottom feeders are flying aircraft almost twice as big for the same pay?

As expected there is some language in there about studies to look at commuting in relation to fatigue. I don't see any good coming out of this unless it forces airlines to pay for cost of living in expensive domiciles or includes positive space to domicile like some Cargo/Fractionals do. I just hope it doesn't come down to the point where you have to live where you work just because the govt says so.

They are going to run up against the domecile closures. Some of the airlines open and close domeciles multiple times a year.

this will only cost the airlines more $ trying to get all the FO's typed in the aircraft

dont they get typed anyway? we all got typed as FOs

and in my opinion, i think its a good idea for an airline pilot to actually get an airline pilots license. hard to not see why not. makes sense. your an airline pilot.... not a charter pilot or banner tower or cfi.... thats why they have ATPs to begin with.

dont they get typed anyway? we all got typed as FOs

and in my opinion, i think its a good idea for an airline pilot to actually get an airline pilots license. hard to not see why not. makes sense. your an airline pilot.... not a charter pilot or banner tower or cfi.... thats why they have ATPs to begin with.

What part SIC privileges only do you not understand. That is NOT a type.

Wonder how many people are going to doc their logbooks? 1500hrs doesn't mean anything if the hours can't be verified.

Anyone on a seniority list is grandfathered in, so the hour requirements won't hurt anyone who's furloughed with less than 1,500 hours.

I didn't see that anywhere in the bill (although I could have missed it). My understanding is that everyone who wishes to fly Part 121 will have 3 years from the signing of the bill to get the ATP. Please show me if I am wrong, as I would like to be clear on this as well.

I believe the ATP checkride has to be a PIC evaluation, so if that's the case, the airline won't be able to administer that ride unless its an upgrade scenario. Perhaps the PTS will have to change to meet that requirement.
I could see how the airlines might be able to get around this. They could just pair the FO up with an instructor, tell the FO he is the PIC for the purposes of this evaluation, and then give him an ATP checkride. Just because he would be tested as a PIC does not mean the airline has to employ him as a captain. It actually would be a very cheap exercise for the airline.

You don't get it. Airlines are going to go out of business if more people don't get into the industry...
Um...or maybe it will result in them having to pay pilots decent wages to attract people to the industry. I deem this as good for pilots...it seems that congress has stopped the race to the bottom.

BTW...when I got hired you had to have at least 1500 to be considered remotely qualified for the job. 500 hours is not enough experience to be in the right seat of an airliner. There is no valid argument for it!

Latest resources

Back