House Passes Airline Safety and Pilot Training Improvement Act of 2009

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ATP IS the way to go!

Finally some logic! If you want to be an airline pilot, get an ATP. That legislation will be the best thing for pilots in the long run because it will weed out the wanna bee's and only the serious need apply. Pay will go up and the QOL of an airline pilot might actually make a comeback.

A previous poster commented that SIC should be excluded. That's a nonsense argument, since they are part of a team AND only a heartbeat away from being PIC. Get your ATP and be a real professional pilot. All 121 ops should require an ATP for all seats. The idea of a 400 hr 22 year old fresh out of school sitting right seat carrying passengers is just absurd!

Um...or maybe it will result in them having to pay pilots decent wages to attract people to the industry. I deem this as good for pilots...it seems that congress has stopped the race to the bottom.

BTW...when I got hired you had to have at least 1500 to be considered remotely qualified for the job. 500 hours is not enough experience to be in the right seat of an airliner. There is no valid argument for it!

When people are going to take a trip on an airline, do the following. When booking the flight over the phone, ask the airline customer service rep. if the flight is going to be on an express carrier or mainline carrier. If you feel safer flying on the mainline aircraft, book the flight, if not, driving or taking the train is an option.

Let's see here...

I get on google or bing and do a search?

Priceline-dot-com, yep.

Well-paid-professional-pilot-dot-com, nope.

Case settled.

But then again, I can't remember the last time I drove around looking for a gas station which advertised the best quality gas.

And blah blah blah freaking blah...keep your comments about risking your life and "who do you want operating on you!!

Hi!

The idea of a 400 hr 22 year old fresh out of school sitting right seat carrying passengers is just absurd!
or a 188 hour pilot, who never went to school in the right seat, on their first ever commercial flight!!!

cliff
NBO

Make better personal choices in life. If you do not think you are worth only $17k/year, then do not take a job at that rate. As I already stated, you can make more working unskilled labor jobs. If you think that it's appropriate to make $17k/year as a pilot, then do not complain about the wages. You cannot have it both ways. Do not blame somebody else that makes more after working many years in the industry for the problems with the wages and work rules in the industry if you are willing to take a job at such low wages. THE REAL PROBLEM IS THAT PEOPLE ARE LINED UP FOR THE LOW WAGE JOBS! As long as people are willing to fly jets for those wages, then the market price is set.

Where to begin with ignorami such as this....

Latest resources

Back