• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hmmmmmn!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Who is Cathy and why is she doing these things to your friends ? Is this one of those strange sex games that involve washing and training ?

Please let me know. I have a friend who may be interested.

Oh dicky you don't even know. She is soooooo hot!;)

Almost 11,000 hours total, 9000 Jet PIC, Captain since 2001, 15 years at a 121 carrier, 737 Type, no accidents incidents, no moving violations on license, no criminal backround....No degree...No interview.
I'm back in school now. I don't agree with it but it is the way it is.

Oh and forgot 25 letters of rec at the airline I want most. Still they hire my FO's.

Almost 11,000 hours total, 9000 Jet PIC, Captain since 2001, 15 years at a 121 carrier, 737 Type, no accidents incidents, no moving violations on license, no criminal backround....No degree...No interview.
I'm back in school now. I don't agree with it but it is the way it is.

Oh and forgot 25 letters of rec at the airline I want most. Still they hire my FO's.
An unfortunate shortcoming of the current hiring practices utilizing computers to search for potential applicants to interview. When the search criteria used to shuffle through multiple thousands of applications include "college degree" along with: type rated, TPIC and no violations, your file is simply never pulled for consideration. No one ever gets to see that you are a highly qualified applicant with much to offer the company because the lack of a degree stops your application from coming up for consideration. Congratulations for getting back in school to help your chances. I agree that it is not necessarily fair but it is the current reality as long as their are plenty of qualified applicants with a degree.

This is not a policy/practice that came about because of "computers". Requiring a 4 year degree has been a "filter" for decades for major airline hiring. It was just done by a real person in the past.

Sad talk would be "woe is me, the airlines are mean to me, my life sucks". I'm just being realistic.

Ike,

Being realistic is fine, but look at some key facts. 15,000 pilots will hit 65 years old within the next 10 years at the big "3" legacies alone. Then, look at new fatigue rules and new hiring rules (1500 hours or 800 at an accredited Univ program). How much does it cost to fly at one of those accredited Universities by the way? I was told first year at a place like Riddle including housing and flying programs was close to $58K. That's for the first year! How many people can afford that? Good jobs from retirements are coming. An age increase is more unlikely because of the recent heart attack and unfortunate death of the UAL pilot at Boise. Eventually hiring will skyrocket.

Bye Bye---General Lee

This is not a policy/practice that came about because of "computers". Requiring a 4 year degree has been a "filter" for decades for major airline hiring. It was just done by a real person in the past.
I absolutely agree but for an airline like SWA that does not require a degree for employment, you at least had a fighting chance that a human could look at your resume as a whole when making a determination whether not to call you for an interview. With the computer doing the sorting on programmed search criteria, as long as you lack any one of the benchmarks being used to sort applications your application will never even be seen by a human.

Ike,

Being realistic is fine, but look at some key facts. 15,000 pilots will hit 65 years old within the next 10 years at the big "3" legacies alone. Then, look at new fatigue rules and new hiring rules (1500 hours or 800 at an accredited Univ program). How much does it cost to fly at one of those accredited Universities by the way? I was told first year at a place like Riddle including housing and flying programs was close to $58K. That's for the first year! How many people can afford that? Good jobs from retirements are coming. An age increase is more unlikely because of the recent heart attack and unfortunate death of the UAL pilot at Boise. Eventually hiring will skyrocket.

Bye Bye---General Lee

I don't consider myself nearly smart enough to talk about what might or might not happen "eventually". I can only speak of what I have seen and what I see now.

I don't consider myself nearly smart enough to talk about what might or might not happen "eventually". I can only speak of what I have seen and what I see now.

This ^^^^^^^might be why......

I don't get the "it's not fair" comment about the degree-

Let me get this right- well over 90% of us spend tens of thousands of dollar$, worked and studied to improve ourselves and get more educated and well rounded- and you're saying it's not fair that we get a bit of priority in a major airline interview process??

I don't know about you guys but besides it being really fun- college was also a big commitment and a tough sacrifice. Lots of all-nighters getting it done

I said it earlier- it's not the be all end all- but I agree that major airline pilots ought to have at least a 4 year degree-
Wherever you fall on that, it certainly isn't "unfair" to consider a degree and how you graded out

I don't get the "it's not fair" comment about the degree-

Let me get this right- well over 90% of us spend tens of thousands of dollar$, worked and studied to improve ourselves and get more educated and well rounded- and you're saying it's not fair that we get a bit of priority in a major airline interview process??

I don't know about you guys but besides it being really fun- college was also a big commitment and a tough sacrifice. Lots of all-nighters getting it done

I said it earlier- it's not the be all end all- but I agree that major airline pilots ought to have at least a 4 year degree-
Wherever you fall on that, it certainly isn't "unfair" to consider a degree and how you graded out

Well that's contrary to your politics.

Latest resources

Back