• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hmmmmmn!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
First: I am guessing you don't have a bachelors degree?

Second: We are pilots not entrepreneur's!

Third: Each legacy has 10,000 apps on file. Obviously if you don't have a bachelor's degree you will not be competetive for the next 5-10 years. End of story.

That's funny. I work at one of the most highly regarded airlines in the world, and I don't have a college degree. I believe that a college degree is absolutely meaningless WRT being a professional pilot. One of the greatest fleecings ever conjured in this world is the private university four year degree here in the US. I hope my children become plumbers or electricians, instead of spending 120k to be a barrista at Starbucks. The younger generation in this world is screwed by their seniors. No other way to put it.

Box

Generally parents are just trying to do what's best for their kids.
The unemployment rate for college graduates in April 2013 was a mere 3.9 percent, compared with 7.5 percent for the work force as a whole, according to a Labor Department report released Friday. Even when the jobless rate for college graduates was at its very worst in this business cycle, in November 2010, it was still just 5.1 percent. That is close to the jobless rate the rest of the work force experiences when the economy is good.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/04/b...en-through-recession.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
Adults with bachelor's degrees in the late 1970s earned 55 percent more than adults who had not advanced beyond high school. That gap grew to 75 percent by 1990 -- and is now at 85 percent.

http://www.bizjournals.com/bizjourn...earn-85-more-than-those-without.html?page=all

Exceptions to the rule will always exist.

Engineering Degree. Masters degree. Feel like a huge waste of time. Do these companies get a break on insurance hiring overly educated employees?

Degree shows the ability to learn. Shows motivation and commitment. The airlines prefer the degree because they can. They are doing the hiring they call the shots. Pretty much end of story.

If you had a Bachelors Degree you would understand why it should be required.

It's not just about the education; it's about showing dedication and busting your butt for 4 years straight to accomplish something that is considered "huge" in our society.

It's not a $ thing. There are 2 things in life that people will never regret spending money on: Their Kids and their University Degree.

I think you are submitting your stool sample waaaay too early, kid.

Sheesh. Be sure to share your theories to the Interviewers. I am sure they will find them most insightful.

:laugh:

Before you root for this profession to shed any remaining college degree requirements, please reflect on how that may impact future wages and benefits.

Also reflect on how the term itself, "profession," strongly implies completion of an advanced degree.

Before you root for this profession to shed any remaining college degree requirements, please reflect on how that may impact future wages and benefits.

Also reflect on how the term itself, "profession," strongly implies completion of an advanced degree.
So by that logic the pilots at British airways or KLM (just a couple of examples) are not professional aviators? And if they get a degree in dentistry, then they will become professional aviators?

That's funny. I work at one of the most highly regarded airlines in the world, and I don't have a college degree. I believe that a college degree is absolutely meaningless WRT being a professional pilot. One of the greatest fleecings ever conjured in this world is the private university four year degree here in the US. I hope my children become plumbers or electricians, instead of spending 120k to be a barrista at Starbucks. The younger generation in this world is screwed by their seniors. No other way to put it.

Box

Well said!

Latest resources

Back