• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hmmmmmn!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's not about hiring a "better" pilot. It's about drastically reducing the height of the pile of resumes on the Chief pilots desk. In other words, it's a "filter".

When I was interviewing back in the late 80's all the majors required, or "strongly suggested", a 4 year degree. The only one that didn't was USAir.

With the new FAA experience rules coming soon, the 4 year degree "filter" would be one to drop to increase the supply of qualified candidates.

Never really meant a so much a better pilot, what I mean is a person (pilot) with a 4 year is no better than a person (pilot) with out.

I support having a degree. It's not the be all end all- but I actually do think those that studied well in college make for better pilots IF(!)- they still socialized and didn't go so overboard into the dbag category.
A LOT of the no degree pilots are great. Many are also a little rough around the edges. Even if they are good sticks, they don't represent us well.
Been my experience

That said, the over-impressed with their education is usually a bigger drain on the op.

Barriers to entry; simple as that. How do you think Doctors have managed to remain in the upper echelons of income earners (for now, anyway)? As professional pilots we should all encourage the journey to be as arduous as possible. Restrict the supply, increase your demands.

The day Sally Strouthers adds "professional pilot" after "TV/VCR repairman" is the day I'm out.

As professional pilots we should all encourage the journey to be as arduous as possible.

I think it's plenty arduous as it is. Then again, maybe only in my case.

I didn't go to college. I have worked very hard in my career progression. Early on I started my own 141 school, got it connected with a community college- so I taught college level courses (go figure). During the process, I became an FAA designee. I have interviewed at 1 legacy airline. 1. I start my dream job in a few weeks. The degree is a filter, but I agree in aviation it doesn't matter much if you cant fly.

Engineering Degree. Masters degree. Feel like a huge waste of time. Do these companies get a break on insurance hiring overly educated employees?

Insurance affected by the level of education of the pilots? No doubt.

Everyone can complain about the discriminators the company uses for hiring but in the end they are gonna use what they want to use.

Insurance underwriters base their premiums by level of risk, they take into consideration training program, maintenance program, accident records. The background of the operators (pilots) is not even in their radar, Or you honestly believe Qantas that has never had a hull loss pays more in insurance than FedEx because they don't require a degree for their pilots? If that was the case then all of the worlds airlines would indeed require a degree for their pilots for the purpose of reducing overall cost, when in fact the opposite is true.

Last edited:
...Or you honestly believe Qantas that has never had a hull loss pays more in insurance than FedEx because they don't require a degree for their pilots?...

FedEx is self-insured.

Latest resources

Back