• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hmmmmmn!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
First: I am guessing you don't have a bachelors degree?

Second: We are pilots not entrepreneur's!

Third: Each legacy has 10,000 apps on file. Obviously if you don't have a bachelor's degree you will not be competetive for the next 5-10 years. End of story.

I do.

Yes we are pilot's and not an MBA executive's.

I guantee some pilots will be hired without a degree.

Point is you seem a little hard up about it, and would look down on a pilot that doesn't have a four year. Your no better.

Aviator82,

Can you explain why some of the greatest entrepreneur's don't have a 4 year let alone a 2 year degree? They have showed a lot dedication and busted their butt too. While I am not nocking education, but I knock the pilot world for looking down on others that may not have one.

Entrepreneurs don't rely on someone else to believe in their ability or dedication. Entrepreneurs have nothing to prove to others since they are self starters that rely on themselves for talent and innovation. If you are an entrepreneur pilot you would be starting your own airline, not relying on a hiring board to access your skills and abilities. I'm not trying to "look down on others." I am simply stating that possessing the requisite skills to obtain a degree is a highly sought after accomplishment when selecting a new hire that may not necessarily use any of those university learned skills while carrying out the duties that a candidate was hired for.

Some of the best pilots I have known did not have a degree. They had the maturity and skills to strike out on their own and start flying right out of high school and were flying complex aircraft at a younger age than most. However, for many, the extra four years of being in a controlled environment before entering the workforce is a good thing. On the other end of the scale, a pilot a pilot who thinks that were they went to college is important can often be a little weak.
That said, I would think having a degree will make getting hired at a major a lot easier then if you didn't. But no question about it, little you learn in college is of any value to a pilot.

Last edited:
A 4 year degree and reasonably good grades are an indicator of how successful someone can complete the accelerated initial training curriculum. They don't care how good a pilot you are, as long as you can fly it exactly the way they want you to at the end of 2 months training.

Having multiple type ratings on Boeing, Airbus, MDs etc and a solid career progression also is a good indicator of succeeding in the same type of training curriculum every other airline teaches... Show up for class, cbt, lunch, war stories, cbt, sim, repeat... It's not rocket science. My god.

I have a graduate degree. Education is a data point for hiring, absolutely. And I have used my education. But getting carried away with a degree's importance is not a good thing. I know I don't care to see anymore 250 hour interns from aviation schools get hired. I'd rather fly with a high school dropout with some flying time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:
Does having a degree make anybody a better pilot? I don't think so. Some of the best pilots I have flown with don't have a four year. It is called practical experience.

It's not about hiring a "better" pilot. It's about drastically reducing the height of the pile of resumes on the Chief pilots desk. In other words, it's a "filter".

When I was interviewing back in the late 80's all the majors required, or "strongly suggested", a 4 year degree. The only one that didn't was USAir.

With the new FAA experience rules coming soon, the 4 year degree "filter" would be one to drop to increase the supply of qualified candidates.

A 4 year degree and reasonably good grades are an indicator of how successful someone can complete the accelerated initial training curriculum. They don't care how good a pilot you are, as long as you can fly it exactly the way they want you to at the end of 2 months training.
I wonder how on earth airlines like Lufthansa, BA, KLM, Qantas, Emirates, Iberia, Singapore, etc. even get pilots through training with a 4 year degree being the exception and not the rule within their ranks.

I haven't really come across anything in 21 years of flying that requires anything past a 9th grade education. Now thats not to downplay the job because there are many traits and talents needed that if aren't natural can take some hard work to perfect. Not everyone has the ability, determination or patience to develop these skills.

I`m all for education. Personally I have 18 years of education........I did the ninth grade twice. Over to you Pilotyip!

I wonder how on earth airlines like Lufthansa, BA, KLM, Qantas, Emirates, Iberia, Singapore, etc. even get pilots through training with a 4 year degree being the exception and not the rule within their ranks.

That is what I find silly about the requirement (or desired) degree in the US. They just want a degree, it doesn't matter what in....???? I don't know of any other career that would hire you based on a completely unrelated education to the job you will be performing.., that alone tells you that it is a box to tick and not really that important. I personally think that an education in their academy, getting trained and educated in the trade you will be performing is the logical way to go, the concept of you being a lawyer, civil engineer etc. will give you any lead into being a better pilot is just senseless....!

Just wondering, that's all, I guess I am a conundrum. It took me 5 years to get my degree in a non aviation subject and graduate with a 2.2 GPA, but when I went to my aviation trade school at the community college I graduated with a 4.0GPA and perfect attendance.
I do think it is a filter and a holdover from the military days and Officer's Country.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back