• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Here we go FedEx guys...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No, I didn't have the last 18 months to build up my war chest. I have not been on the property that long. (First year pay really didn't make me a millionaire.) I was not at the hub meeting last night (never saw the email about it) but having flew an 8+ hour leg inbound, I doubt I could have stayed awake. I did walk around the Peabody in circles for 2 hours last month. Please do not question my loyalty.

When I asked my ALPA Pilot 2 Pilot rep about flying AVA and draft, he said it was ok. That was not the official ALPA statement of "yeah, sure guys, don't change a thing." This was his advice as the future is looking uncertain. I need to make it possible for me to do whatever it takes to get this contract. And that means save money now so I can weather the storm, if there is one. It sounds really glorious to walk out and strike if need be, but other people in the world rely on me. I need to make sure we are ok if it comes to that.

If you need someone to pick on, look up the guys that picked up disputed pairings from open time. No excuse for that.

This has always been a touchy subject. In the long run draft trips and AVA are detrimental to the entire crew force. They allow the company to fly the schedule with less pilots, and hence slow progression and upgrades. But AVA and draft also allow pilots the flexibility to earn a little more cash on occassion. No one wants draft and AVA to go away. But at the same time what tools do we have to express our displeasure with contract negotiations? Why wait to the last minute (i.e. strike vote) when we have the perfect opportunity upcoming with peak. It doesn't take a "rocket scientist" to know that the company is depending on a lot of DFT and VLT to make it through peak (AVA for every position for November, if I recall correctly). this is our time as pilots to say "You want our help? Then come to the table with a descent proposal." I for one want a quicker end to negotiations. This is a tool and time to bring that about. The catch --- It requires the entire crew force.

Last edited:
Fair enough Zog. But just for the record, I haven't done any AVA or draft. And if I do, I am not whoring myself out- just a little schedule tweaking with some extra dollars for the bank.

Hey I have done it all. Draft, VLT, and AVA. Nobody should ever criticize someone for that. Just right now I am a bit perturbed with the company. And it happens to be at a time when they depend a lot on our "generosity" in flying to fill the schedule. Hard to be generous after getting slapped in the face.

I may be in the minority, but I am ready to just skip to the end. It is obvious the company will not negoitiate with us under fair terms. If that is there "best and last" offer. Vote on it, and at the same time have a strike vote. I am confident in our crew force that our results would be similar to UPS. And then the next day say "See you later." However, we operate under the RLA and must go through the process. And I am willing to exhaust all options in getting "fair negotiations", I just don't see that happening. I have to hand it to the negotiation committee, they have to be the most patient people in the world to keep banging their heads against a brick wall.

Last edited:
No, I didn't have the last 18 months to build up my war chest. I have not been on the property that long. (First year pay really didn't make me a millionaire.) I was not at the hub meeting last night (never saw the email about it) but having flew an 8+ hour leg inbound, I doubt I could have stayed awake. I did walk around the Peabody in circles for 2 hours last month. Please do not question my loyalty.

I think you read into my last post a little too much. At no point did I question your loyalty. I did not get an e-mail about the meeting last night either, just saw a bunch of guys in the TV room and went to check it out. I don't doubt that your P2P rep said in the past to fly all of the draft and AVA to save money in case of hard times. But has he said it since this latest change of events. I have done AVA in the past. But that is the past and the current situation calls for and end of that for all people if we want to see a new contract. Once we get that contract, we can all fly overtime at our new pay rates.

It sounds really glorious to walk out and strike if need be, but other people in the world rely on me. I need to make sure we are ok if it comes to that.

There is NOTHING glorious about a strike. All sides lose. I flew with an ex-Eastern pilot who told me a strike is the absolute last resort. A union can do more damage on the inside than the outside. Right now the only way to put that pressure on the company is to stop draft and AVA. I don't think anyone wants to hurt the company, but that is a needed step to complete our objective.

We all have people who rely on us. But right now, as a group, we need to sacrifice short term personal gain so that we can have long term personal gain for the group.

If you need someone to pick on, look up the guys that picked up disputed pairings from open time. No excuse for that.

I hope you aren't insulted by any of this, that is not the intent. We are on the same team. We all have the same objective and all pilots need to stick together through this. Ben Franklin said, "We must all stand together, or we will hang seperately". Not that we will be hung, but you get the picture.

FedEx1 said:

When I asked my ALPA Pilot 2 Pilot rep about flying AVA and draft, he said it was ok. That was not the official ALPA statement of "yeah, sure guys, don't change a thing." This was his advice as the future is looking uncertain. I need to make it possible for me to do whatever it takes to get this contract. And that means save money now so I can weather the storm, if there is one. It sounds really glorious to walk out and strike if need be, but other people in the world rely on me. I need to make sure we are ok if it comes to that.

Hey Fedex1, if you own a home go to USAA and get an Equity line of credit. It didn't cost me anything and now I have $$$ standing by incase anything happens. I hope I don't have to use it, but it does give me some peace of mind.

For those of you who were not here in 1998, this is the same script. I know it's hard to be patient, but we CANNOT let this get to us and start fracturing the group. We are in the best position we have ever been in and as long as we stand together we will get a fair contract. Mind you, it might take a while, but it will happen. Fedex has quite the PR machine. The crap that they put out can be mind boggling, but it is crap. They most definitely do not let the truth stand in the way of a good spin job. Anyway, my 2 cents worth. Hang in there brothers!

TonyC said:
Our Company seems to disagree with your sentiment. You see, the market forces facing our employer have resulted in record profits quarter after quarter after quarter, yet the employees have been quite insulated from any sort of increased pay or benefit.

Do you think we should ask for a pay cut because some airlines are in bankruptcy?

:)

no - i think you should get what you can. your company is on the right side of the curve now. hope for the best, plan for the worst. good luck.:beer:

FedEx would not be in the envious position it is in business and profit wise if it was run by a bunch of idiots. It is simply in the company's best interests to delay the signing of a new contract because the longer it takes the longer they can pay us at the old rates. It is smart business for them to drag their heels and wear us down. If you thought the company would just cave then you haven't given the management enough credit.

The only possible downside to their delay tactics is the retro pay we will get, and perhaps some loss of confidence in our service from our customers and investors. I think they can continue to delay for quite a while until those issues cause enough economic damage to overcome the advantages of paying us the old wages.

The negotiating committee has been telling us to expect this to take some time, and although even they appear to be showing signs of dismay and stress, we must stand firm and be prepared for the long haul. I don't think this will be resolved by peak, maybe not even peak of '06. I hope I'm wrong, but either way we just have to be patient, fly the contract and let our negotiating committee speak for us.

Business is business. We'll get it back in retro pay. Stand firm and be patient.

Oh yeah, did I mention fly the contract?

FJ

You guys haven't SEEN footdragging until the federal mediator is driving the bus.

I was in mediation once for 18 months. We finally got a TA and put it to a vote, and the membership voted it down by 96%. The mediator (the infamous Maggie J.) said that she thought the TA was reasonable, and therefore she'd let us talk for another YEAR before we'd get released (we were already at the 3 year point).

Bear in mind that Maggie was appointed by Bill Clinton, a supposed friend of labor. Can't wait to peep the dude W sends down to us....

There aren't any hard feelings, guys. But there are a lot of hot heads walking around the system, spouting off their 2 cents about how I should run my life. And I make my decisions along the lines as supported by ALPA.

Happy Flying

Latest resources

Back