• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Here we go FedEx guys...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It is perfectly acceptable to fly draft, AVA, or sell back your vacation. Build up your war chest now. Anyone saying to "tell all your buddies not to" on a crew bus is starting their own agenda. (Of course, ALPA cannot tell you not to do these things- that would be illegal and open us to being sued and fined. However, I asked my P2P ALPA guy specifially/ He said build up that war chest now and that is was more than ok.)

It is NOT acceptable to pick up disputed pairings from open time. Hope all the losers on the MEM-EWR-FRA fall over from fatigue. Why would you do that pairing to yourself?!? It is totally heinous. We need to start posting NAMES of these guys.

And speaking of names..... whomever gave a copy of the jetflyer email to the Commercial Appeal should end up in a Dante novel...... couldn't believe they quoted it in an atricle.

Deuce,

Man you haven't been married long enough to have a stripper girlfriend from the Purple Church! Are you sure she's not the twin of your brother's stripper girlfriend? The four of you would be a frikin double-mint commercial!

Sandman...I am partial to grainy black and white photos. They remind me of those films I was paid to do in college. You know the ones with little to no plot and poor, corny dialogue? Most of my co-stars assumed poses much like your avatar friend.

Ladies and Gents,

This is a gentle reminder that we are conducting a business transaction, and it's no time to get emotional. The Collective Bargaining Agent that represents our interests in the deal has conducted itself and continues to conduct itself in a very professional manner, making only reasonable requests that reflect the combined will of our pilot group. Likewise, our employer continues to, as anyone would expect, attempt to extract as much productivity out of us for the very least amount of compensation. No surprises, right?

We know the tactics they will use, and we will not be swayed. Remain cool, do your job, and allow the negotiating committee to do its job.

I ran across this letter a few days ago, and had to chuckle. I'm sure you've heard of the "Red Letters." Well, this one reads much like one of those, but it is printed on white paper. It arrived at my home via FedEx Priority Overnight one Wednesday morning, 10 NOV 98.

Enjoy:

INTEROFFICE MEMORANDUM

DATE: November 10, 1998 TO: All FedEx Crewmembers

RE: Pilot Negotiations

The Fedex Pilot's Association leadership has now distributed strike ballots and it is clear that they have adopted a predetermined strategy designed to bring us to the brink of a strike or beyond. I want to make sure that you fully understand the consequences the FPA leadership's actions have already had, and that you understand the potential consequences of following their current course. I urge you to inform yourself and weigh the potential impact of your vote on you, your family, our other employees, and our customers.

Two weeks ago I directed the Federal Express negotiating team to resume negotiations with the FPA in an effort to do everything we could to reach an agreement. Over the course of the three day session ending October 30th, we put our best offer on the table, but the FPA negotiating committee rejected it. The details of our proposal are on the internet at pilot.fedex.com.

FedEx has always been committed to reaching a collective bargaining agreement that significantly enhances pilot pay, benefits and work rules. We will not, however, risk our business and the livelihoods of our other employees. Without an agreement and with the threat of a strike looming, we have no alternative but to implement more stages of our contingency plans. The timetable for implementing these stages is measured in days, not weeks and some contractors are requiring long-term commitments. As these commitments are made, we will not be able to back away from them.

The confrontational strategy adopted by the FPA leadership has forced us to develop contingency plans to protect our business. Federal Express will remain open for business regardless of what happens in this dispute. In the event of a strike the following options are likely:
  • Restructure the international system to operate entirely with contract lift. Practically all of our major competitors already do this.
  • Revamp our domestic overnight service to operate with the pilots who decide to come to work and with contract lift. The initial scope of that service would depend on the number of pilots who will fly.
  • Mobilize a large ground network to provide nationwide domestic one, two, and three day services. We have already arranged enough line haul trucking to accomplish this task.
  • Pilots who choose to strike may come back to work only when we have pilot jobs available. If a restructured smaller network is necessary, we will not require as many pilots as in our current network.
The proposal we had on the table until midnight on October 30 put FedEx pilots at or near the top of the industry in nearly every category. The FPA negotiating committee rejected that proposal, countering instead with a demand that would cost $400.9 million more in compensation alone than our proposals over the life of the agreement.

Some might ask why we would consider taking the measures outlined above rather than simply acceding to the FPA leadership's contract demands? We cannot meet the FPA leadership's demands and still fulfill our repsonsibilitites to our other 140,000 employees, not to mention our customers and shareholders. In fact, the contingencies we have already paid for and the customers we may lose could require a retreat from the proposals that we last put on the table.

Don't make the mistake of believing that this is just a negotiating tactic; it is not. In the short term, we will alter our business to fit the network we are able to operate. In the long term, we will rebuild. This is not what I prefer, but it provides the opportunity to run a profitable business while protecting, to the greatest extent possibile, the jobs of our employees and the expectations of our customers and shareholders. This strategy has the unanimous support of our Board of Directors.

-signed- Theodore L. Weise

You see, this e-mail from Rebholz is nothing new, and it wasn't unexpected.

He tries to circumvent the process by coming directly to the pilot. We knew they would.

He tries to paint the negotiating committee as unreasonable. We knew they would.

There is no element of the letter that was not anticipated, not tactic that has not been seen before.

We will not be swayed.

My negotiating committee speaks for me.

494 days, 11 hours, 39 minutes and 25 seconds

Release #05.047

October 6, 2005

ALPA Response to FedEx Announcement on Mediation

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- Captain David Webb, chairman of the FedEx unit of the Air Line Pilots Association, Int’l (ALPA), issued the following statement following FedEx management’s decision to request the assistance of the National Mediation Board in the pilots’ ongoing contract negotiations:

“We are disappointed, but not surprised, by FedEx management’s actions today in requesting the assistance of the National Mediation Board and admitting the failure of FedEx Labor Relations to reach an agreement with the pilots.

“The company’s final comprehensive proposal contained significant concessions, reflective of opportunistic greed in a time of industry turmoil. Management presented this proposal while corporate officers repeatedly make public statements that FedEx profits continue to rise and will be even greater in the future.

“Our proposals address the issues of our members as expressed through more than three years of polling and are responsible and consistent with the contributions of our pilots and the extraordinary profitability of FedEx. No matter what the venue of negotiations, we will continue to pursue a responsible agreement that addresses our pilots’ concerns.”
More information on the pilots’ ongoing negotiations can be found at www.fedexlabortalks.com.

Day and night and 365 days a year, the 4,300 professional FedEx pilots--representing the air division of the FedEx brand and helping generate nearly two-thirds of FedEx Corporation’s annual revenue--fly to cities on five continents, making FedEx among the largest and most profitable airlines by any measure.

Founded in 1931, ALPA represents 64,000 airline pilots at 41 airlines in the U.S. and Canada. Visit the ALPA website at http://www.alpa.org.

# # #

ALPA Contact: Scott Sherrin, (901) 842-2220 or (901) 409-0325

I hope you guys are happy with your current pay because on the fedexlabortalks.com home page there is a picture of you guys holding signs with your issues on them. There is no sign for pay. Is that to suggest you are happy with your current pay and are not seeking an increase?

FreightNazi said:
I hope you guys are happy with your current pay because on the fedexlabortalks.com home page there is a picture of you guys holding signs with your issues on them. There is no sign for pay. Is that to suggest you are happy with your current pay and are not seeking an increase?
I actually believe that we need to give back to the company in the form of pay cuts and more work days to help bring them back from the brink of bankruptcy. . .
It concerns me that the company is offering pay INCREASES in times like these. . . .

klhoard said:
I actually believe that we need to give back to the company in the form of pay cuts and more work days to help bring them back from the brink of bankruptcy. . .
It concerns me that the company is offering pay INCREASES in times like these. . . .

I agree, both of our pilot groups need to be sensitive to the plight at the passenger carriers and not ask for raises in this time of crisis for the airlines.

FreightNazi said:
The four cornerstone issues represent an acknowledgement of the collective will of the pilot force and a recognition that a boost in pay rates can be quickly washed out with other rule changes. The Company already tried once to circumvent the process by offering a simple increase in pay rates and a signing bonus, while changing no part of the current CBA.

We are concerned about the erosion of Health Care benefits, the attack on our Retirement security, the threat of Scope attacks, and the Work Rules that become more and more onerous each time the Optimizer tweaks the schedule. These are the issues that must be settled before we even begin to talk about pay rates.

Go back and click on that picture and do a little reading - - they do a good job of explaining the issues.

TonyC said:
. . . <snip>. . .

Go back and click on that picture and do a little reading - - they do a good job of explaining the issues.
I have issues. . . personal issues. . . . do you want to hear about them??

Latest resources

Back