Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sandman2122

who's light?
Just think about it next time the company offers DRAFT, Advanced Volunteer and $$$$ for cancelling YOUR vacation.......

FedEx Express Requests National Mediation Board Assistance

Thursday October 6, 3:49 pm ET

MEMPHIS, Tenn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 6, 2005--FedEx Express, a unit of FedEx Corp. (NYSE:FDX - News), today requested the assistance of the National Mediation Board (NMB) in completing its ongoing pilot negotiations. The company and its pilots, represented by the Air Line Pilots Association, have been engaged in active contract talks since March 2004.

FedEx sought to resolve the contract negotiations without the assistance of the government agency. The union leadership, however, refused to present the Company's first comprehensive contract proposal to its membership for a vote, and since then has failed to moderate its demands sufficiently to justify continuing with the current process. As a result, the company elected to request NMB assistance. NMB-led mediation is a common step in the process of airline negotiations.
FedEx pilots already have one of the best overall contracts in the airline industry. Earlier this year, the Company offered a comprehensive contract proposal containing compensation improvements worth more than $500 million over the life of the contract. Last week, the Company made another comprehensive offer that included signing bonuses, pay increases and work rule changes designed to address many of the issues raised by the union. Both company offers would have cemented FedEx crewmembers' position as the best compensated pilots in the aviation industry.
"FedEx has worked very hard to move these negotiations forward so both the company and the pilots have economic certainty in today's ever-changing aviation industry," said David F. Rebholz, executive vice president, U.S. operations for FedEx Express. "We are confident that with the assistance of the NMB, we will be able to bring these talks to a successful conclusion for all concerned."
The current contract became amendable on May 31, 2004. Under the Railway Labor Act, the contract terms remain in effect until the RLA process is exhausted.
About FedEx Corp. FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX - News) provides customers and businesses worldwide with a broad portfolio of transportation, e-commerce and business services. With annual revenues of $30 billion, the company offers integrated business applications through operating companies competing collectively and managed collaboratively, under the respected FedEx brands. Consistently ranked among the world's most admired and trusted employers, FedEx inspires its more than 250,000 employees and contractors to remain "absolutely, positively" focused on safety, the highest ethical and professional standards and the needs of their customers and communities. For more information, visit www.fedex.com

Last edited:
Anyone else hear word being spread around that Nov 1 is the end of draft, ava and vacation buy back? We had another crew in hotel van and they said that they had heard that and to pass it around. I guess the union can't officially put anything out, but it is up to the individual crew member to do this if they want to.Any word on what is the latest at UPS?Sandman, your woman is hot.

Beats me, curious what offer was made last week. This is probably the "October Surprise" our MEC Chairman mentioned to expect....

Last edited:
Is anyone at FedEx really surprised by this. I'm not. Doesn't change a thing. I do like the spin they put. "Comprehensive offer" my a$$. After one year of negotiation, you come up with an offer of only a 3% cost of living adjustment and same work rules. Thats your idea of a "comprehensive offer". Nothing on retirement, health care issues, work rules, etc. How many lawyers and hours did it take to come up with that proposal? Heck, it probably cost them over $100 million in lawyer fees alone.

SWPA Pilot said:
Anyone else hear word being spread around that Nov 1 is the end of draft, ava and vacation buy back? We had another crew in hotel van and they said that they had heard that and to pass it around. I guess the union can't officially put anything out, but it is up to the individual crew member to do this if they want to.Any word on what is the latest at UPS?Sandman, your woman is hot.
They've been "NOT" saying this for months. Guys just don't get it. . .

Mr Zog said:
Is anyone at FedEx really surprised by this. I'm not. Doesn't change a thing. I do like the spin they put. "Comprehensive offer" my a$$. After one year of negotiation, you come up with an offer of only a 3% cost of living adjustment and same work rules. Thats your idea of a "comprehensive offer". Nothing on retirement, health care issues, work rules, etc. How many lawyers and hours did it take to come up with that proposal? Heck, it probably cost them over $100 million in lawyer fees alone.

It wasn't 3%, it was $500,000,000. It's different. I guess. Or so they say. Well, someone said it. Someone said it, so it must be true.

VaB said:
It wasn't 3%, it was $500,000,000. It's different. I guess. Or so they say. Well, someone said it. Someone said it, so it must be true.

The offer I read was 3%. It may cost the company $500 million because it was over 7 or 8 years. I don't know. To be honest, after the 3% I stopped reading. Wasted my time opening the envelope.

Latest resources

Back