• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Here we go FedEx guys...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How come we haven't heard the specifics of the company's offer last week. I figured I would have at least gotten an email from ALPA telling me what the company offered and why we don't want it.

Sluggo_63 said:
How come we haven't heard the specifics of the company's offer last week. I figured I would have at least gotten an email from ALPA telling me what the company offered and why we don't want it.
Patience, my friend. Friday's message line and VP message stated that we will be hearing details of the so-called offer this coming week.

The description of the events in Annapolis with the Facilitator Mr. Harris leads me to believe that there was not much in the offer to talk about.

Recall that FedEx and the press described the "offer" of a pay rate increase and a signing bonus with NO, ZERO, ZILCH, NADA changes to the CBA as a "comprehensive" offer. Don't be fooled by their rhetoric. The instant the Negotiating Committee recieves an offer that can be ratified by the pilots we'll be hearing about it. Until then,

My Negotiating Committee Speaks For Me.

ThisistheDream said:
Considering what has happened to the pilot profession, I would be happy to just keep the current contract at FEDEX
Considering what has happened at FedEx, I would NOT.

ThisistheDream said:
Considering what has happened to the pilot profession, I would be happy to just keep the current contract at FEDEX

Sorry man, but it's this attitude that will ruin what is left of the industry. This company is making money hand over fist, thanks in large part to the pilots group.

Hopefully they've learned from the pax industry and they won't break the bank...but making some positive movement will help us all. Same goes for the UPS guys/gals.

Good luck!

In a perfect world I would agree with you, but in reality I see the whole the pilot profession being restructured whether we like it or not. The passenger airline pilots are being hit hard 1st, and evenetually it will reach the current untouchable this doesnt effect us FEDEX, UPS. I am not being negative but being realistic. Right now some cargo companies make millions, but they could make more, with less labor costs!!!!!!! and thats the botton line with mgt.

ThisistheDream said:
In a perfect world I would agree with you, but in reality I see the whole the pilot profession being restructured whether we like it or not. The passenger airline pilots are being hit hard 1st, and evenetually it will reach the current untouchable this doesnt effect us FEDEX, UPS. I am not being negative but being realistic. Right now some cargo companies make millions, but they could make more, with less labor costs!!!!!!! and thats the botton line with mgt.

Go to www.fedexlabortalks.com. If the bottom line with FedEx is profitablity maybe some of management should ensure there compensation and stock options are more in-line with comparable companies. The problem with the airline industry is not labor costs, it is mismanagement and the perception that labor is SOLELY a cost. Labor is a source of revenue and once companies realize that the airline industry will finally get out of the dark ages. FedEx is profitable and we are not asking for that much. I know of no other profession that is willing to belittle its worth so quickly.

A comparison in the corporate culture of Microsoft and FedEx. Bill Gates when he started Microsoft realized the contibution of his employees; at one-time Microsoft had produced more millionaire employees that any other company. FedEx on the other hand, over the past five years has grown tremendously. How have they shared the profitability with the employees? Bonuses? No. Profit Sharing? No. Stock Options or Stock Discount Purchase Programs? No. Dividends to Investors? YES. FedEx is concerned about one thing and one thing only - STOCK PRICE. I guarantee Mr Smith is aware at all times what the share price is and is in constant communication with institutional investors. The investors have received a large return on their investment because of the contributions of all FedEx employees. The first day of negotiations, FedEx issued a press release saying that we would receive a pay raise. 3% is NOT a pay raise. It is not even a cost-of-living adjustment.

Last edited:
In fact, I am willing to bet anyone on this board on the following occurences regarding FedEx. If the contract negations go into the later half of next year, which all indications are that they will. In the first half of the year, FedEx will increase their dividend to investors again and/or announce a stock repurchase. Any takers?

Ready

Folks I don't know about the rest of you but I'm ready to walk when the time comes. That time is rapidly approaching.

I've got money put away, a credit line on my house, clear credit cards and most importantly a part-time job. I don't fly DRF, VLT or AVA and I don't sell back vacation.

When the time comes I will walk away from this place like I've never worked here and will plan on never coming back. If a contract gets signed, great! If not, well then I guess it's time to find something else to do. Neither this job nor this corporation is the end game for me, even if it means a substantially lower standard of living.

This is the kind of resolve it's going to take to force the corporation to negotiate, and force them we must.

PurpleInMEM said:
Folks I don't know about the rest of you but I'm ready to walk when the time comes. That time is rapidly approaching.

I've got money put away, a credit line on my house, clear credit cards and most importantly a part-time job. I don't fly DRF, VLT or AVA and I don't sell back vacation.

When the time comes I will walk away from this place like I've never worked here and will plan on never coming back. If a contract gets signed, great! If not, well then I guess it's time to find something else to do. Neither this job nor this corporation is the end game for me, even if it means a substantially lower standard of living.

This is the kind of resolve it's going to take to force the corporation to negotiate, and force them we must.

Your resolve is admirable and hopefully will not be required. Unfortunately there are many pilots at Fedex that don't share your views.

The rest of this post is just a general post to the masses who will listen.

I think it's important to realize, however, that a strike is a last resort. If you haven't read the latest issue of "Positive Rate", please do. It should be required reading for all Fedex pilots right now. It details the events of the 1985 strike at United. As a former UAL guy, it was sent to me this past spring and I read it cover to cover. I had hoped ALPA would send it out to the Fedex crew force. With the benefit of 20/20 hindsight and interviews of critical individuals from ALPA and management, they were able to accurately re-construct the events of the strike, day by day (sometimes hour to hour).

What really hit me was the amount of bad information that was used to make critical decisions by both sides during the strike. The other eye opener was that management really thought they could break the Union. It was their goal to remove ALPA from the property. Think anyone here at Fedex might get the idea that breaking ALPA is the way to go? If it comes to a strike, they will use every underhanded tactic they can. The lies to the press (they’re already doing that), phone calls to your wife, your kids, misinformation to co-workers, other labor groups, you name it.

If we strike, there will be SCABs. That in itself will forever change your work experience at Fedex. I’ve seen (and carried) a company scab list with details of every UAL pilot who scabbed. I’ve flown trips with them, heard them try to explain themselves and seen what a miserable existence they live. It’s not a good trip in a Boeing when the F/O and S/O don’t say anything to the Capt other than checklist responses and operational related stuff. A two person crew is even worse. Actually, we already have a few scabs here. They are on the nationwide Master Scab list. They scabbed at Braniff, Eastern, and others and seem to stay under the radar here. I know who they are and if you don’t, you should.

The bottom line is: A strike will $uck and will change Fedex forever. If it comes to it fine. Everyone better be able to look themselves in the mirror and know they did what they could to help avoid it. Not everyone is going to volunteer to do ALPA work. One of the only tools we have during negotiations is our contract. Now that we appear to be entering mediation, that becomes even more critical. We can’t violate the “status quo”. That means ALPA cannot come out and say “Only fly the contract, don’t accept draft, don’t sell back vacation, etc. THAT’S EXACTLY WHAT WE NEED TO DO!! You as a crewmember can use your contract, legally, to pressure the company long before a strike it necessary. At this stage of the game, “building your warchest” is BS. I’m new too but I ain’t doing it. If you need to, do it with a second job. The guys out there doing the extra flying and making the deals are kidding themselves and hurting our overall effort. It might hurt the wallet a little now, but not as much a strike will. Guaranteed.

We could force the company to the table with a real offer if we just flew and worked to the contract. No drafts, no deals, no vacation sales, no extra flying, NO NOTHING. If we did that, we wouldn’t need to strike. They would watch reliability and customer satisfaction go out the window. That’s going to get their attention well before we get to the point of going out on strike.

Just my .02 – Thanks

Latest resources

Back