HA vs. AS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Maybe we should rename the thread AK vs AK

Management and the Association agree that flying to Hawaii is not Trans-Oceanic. What I think has nothing to do with it.

Section 12
Hours of Service

Trans-Oceanic: When a pilot is scheduled within the above
limitations on a trans-ocean flight, the duty requirement which
he need not exceed shall be increased to sixteen hours(16).

D.

Rest

b. Trans-Oceanic: When a pilot is assigned to fly a transocean
flight, his on-duty period may not be broken by an
off-duty period of less than fourteen hours (14) block-in
to block-out.

Thanks for the reference on rest. I'm glad we don't have to fly beyond 14 hours of duty.

The company and the globe would say you were incorrect.

Oh, the same company who thought the -700s were bigger than the -400? The company can and will say anything for their benefit.

The globe....I don't understand? Unless the debris from tsunami that hit Japan created another western coastal state the size of Texas, I'd double check your general knowlege. My advice to anyone is to think before opening their cake hole.

Last edited:
Change of subject for ignousy.......
The preliminary bid is out and shows 39 a330 f/o slots for new hires, 36 going to the 767 and 22 going to the 717.
Nine 717 Capts are around the 4 yr mark and one 767 Capt was hired about 4 years ago. That would be Mimi Thompkins, ex AQ who was flying the AQ 737 that blew it's top back in the 90's.

Another smaller bid is supposed to come out later this year that will reflect the addition of one more a330 being added beyond the 5 that this bid is meant to cover.

They are looking for more A330's beyond the 16 coming over the next three years. They have slowed the rate they were scheduled to retire the 767's.

Beyond all the above, it's anybody's guess what the future holds. Every new city we add does well so far, we appear to have a strong management team and Dunkerley knows what he is doing. They continue to increase their cash every qtr all the while they are not afraid to invest in the airlines future and infrastructure. A lot of cash is used for making purchases that will pay of down the road.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update Dan!! I have phase 1 interview today, keeping my fingers crossed. I cannot imagine a better airline to work for!!

Change of subject for ignousy.......
The preliminary bid is out and shows 39 a330 f/o slots for new hires, 36 going to the 767 and 22 going to the 717.
Nine 717 Capts are around the 4 yr mark and one 767 Capt was hired about 4 years ago. That would be Mimi Thompkins, ex AQ who was flying the AQ 737 that blew it's top back in the 90's.

Another smaller bid is supposed to come out later this year that will reflect the addition of one more a330 being added beyond the 5 that this bid is meant to cover.

They are looking for more A330's beyond the 16 coming over the next three years. They have slowed the rate they were scheduled to retire the 767's.

Beyond all the above, it's anybody's guess what the future holds. Every new city we add does well so far, we appear to have a strong management team and Dunkerley knows what he is doing. They continue to increase their cash every qtr all the while they are not afraid to invest in the airlines future and infrastructure. A lot of cash is used for making purchases that will pay of down the road.

Great to hear for Mimi!!! Flew w her husband at AK before he retired and she met us in Sfo to hang right after aloha folded. Talk about someone with great stories and as tough as they come! She was the first woman hired into a 121 jet that didnt start as an FE. Alot of us could learn about how tough this industry can be from her!!!

Mookie

Interesting to note, that in the 1960's AK had a large non sked operation that flew all over the globe with CV- 990's I believe. in the 1980's and 90's HA did the same with DC-8's and L1011's. Now they have both morphed into airlines with a reputation for industry leading scheduled service. Interesting how this industry changes.
Also, Hawaiian flies the original 1929 Belanca that Hawaiian began service with in 1929. It is used for employee rides and marketing opportunities. It was sold in 1930 and went through many owners before we got it back and restored it, one of those preveous owners was AK.

Latest resources

Back