GV Longest routes?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
G4G5 said:

They could not get the flaps up so they decided to ferry it to Hartford for repair. On takeoff they hit a goose, that took out the right engine. They declared the emergency and returned to HPN.

Well if it was a Canadian goose then they've got no reason to compain.

The company I just got hired at regularly does SBA-BKK in a GV. They are getting their new G550 in Apr. (Yes, I know how lucky I am--I tell myself that every hour of the day!)

The crew rest seat on the V and 550 are separated in a small compartment aft of the crew closet/across from the crew galley. I've heard it gets cold in there. The first 550 we're getting has a crew rest area. The second one doesn't--the owner says he won't be flying any longer than 10 hours so we don't need one. Right.

Anyone going to SAV in April? Look me up at school if you'll be there. I'll be the one at happy hour wearing shorts and a AA t-shirt with a red circle and line through the AA logo...;) I'll even buy the first round. (Sorry Falcon Capt. not trying to make you look bad.:D ) TC

I posted this query on a NJA/NJI thread....

I've discussed with others that this is why Gulfstream doesn't want organized labor flying thier aircraft. It will force changes in operation and design on the aircraft....

This thread touches on it.....

True? Rumor? or just plain trash talkin'??

???

Why would it change aircraft design or operation? Many trans-Pacific airline flights use ferry crews to meet Part 121 requirements. These aircraft usually don't even have a dedicated crew rest area; the take-off and landing crews just go to the back of the airliner and bag it in a regular seat. The crew rest area on the GV/G550 is certificated by the FAA's Northwest region which has proponency for transport category aircraft.

GV

The GV's that we operated had placards stating that the "crew rest area" did not meet Part 135 requirements for a "rest area". I'm sure you would agree that it's up to the operator/owner to provide their crew with a proper rest area. With the forward galleys in ours, the rest area was located directly next to the galley, and directly below a storage compartment.......try getting rest during food service. 2 of the GV's had rear galleys, but I don't remember gaining any more room..........but it was nice not having the F/A around making noise.

Again, this may be because of the forward galley, but you needed to be about 5 ft tall inorder to have any legroom at all in that little "phonebooth". By comparision, the GEX that I saw, had about twice the room as any of our GV's.........but again, the operator specs out that space.

Last edited:
G4G5, are you the guy that I call once in a while from accross the pond where the cheese stinks and the wine is cheap?

Yes I am, Hello my friend. How are things progressing?
-----------------------------------------

All Gulfstreams from the G4 on, have autothrottles.

None are autoland equiped, primarly because none have autobrakes.

From what I gater (and maybe someone can fill me in) to get Cat3c autoland certified from the FAA, autobrakes are required.

Last edited:
The autothrottles on the G350/G450/G500/G550 work from take-off to landing as they did on the GV. The feature set on the GV/G550 was determined to a large extent by the Customer Advisory Board. While Autoland/Autobraking are reasonably low tech (as compared to say, EVS) and easy to apply to the jet, the customers didn't want them. As a matter of fact most customers didn't want to do the extra training and maintenance required to maintain CAT II standards.

GV

CAT 111 and AUTO LAND

After having been trained for CAT 111B for a number of years I have only used it once and could have waited 15 more min. and could have done a CAT 1. The cost of training and mx is not worth it. This was flying into airports shuch as London and Paris where you would have thought CAT 111 would help. Auto brakes will increase brake wear as brakes may be used at higher speeds and if rev. is not used down to 80 kts. or so. Mobie

Latest resources

Back