Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: CAT 111 and AUTO LAND

mobie said:
Auto brakes will increase brake wear as brakes may be used at higher speeds and if rev. is not used down to 80 kts. or so. Mobie

Mobie, it sure was nice having the autobrake system when taking the B737 into places like SNA (5,700'), but overall, we kept the usage limited to shorter fields.

I thought this was about longest legs...

Some longest legs... (Great Circle Distances)
Tel Aviv ... Wash DC (5800)
San Fran ... Brussels (5400)
Wash DC ... Accra, Ghana (5300)
Brussels ... St. Andrews, Scottland (450nm for lunch and a round of golf)

All are two pilot trips. Uncle Sam has no crew rest area and the com equipment adds about 2k lbs, so the range is stunted...

Of course, I just flew Wash DC to Tokyo westbound in another jet (19.7 hours enroute!), but this is about the GV.

Re: I thought this was about longest legs...

FL510GV said:

Of course, I just flew Wash DC to Tokyo westbound in another jet (19.7 hours enroute!), but this is about the GV.

GV's can't hit the tanker. At Andrews AFB, we lost GIII trips to C-141's with palletized VIP compartments for that reason.

GV

G4G5 said:

-----------------------------------------
None are autoland equiped, primarly because none have autobrakes.

From what I gater (and maybe someone can fill me in) to get Cat3c autoland certified from the FAA, autobrakes are required.

I just flew a F100 that was approved for Cat IIIa with it's former owner, and it's certified for autoland w/o autobrakes.

Looking through the regs, I don't see any requirements for autobrakes inorder to get the Cat IIIc authorization.

And just curious, anyone want to confess what their payload was at the time, and landing fuel onboard at destination, when you made some of these 12 to 14+45 hour flights in the GV?

Last edited:
The first flight I listed was from Lihue to Singapore against 75 knot winds with six passengers (including AIN's Matt Thurber), about a million pounds of brochures and collateral material and a crew of 4 . We took off with 38,600 lbs of wide-cut Jet B and landed with NBAA reserves.

GV

NBAA Reserve fuel for the GV is 2,860 pounds. The engines burn pounds per hour not gallons per hour. Thus, the more dense the fuel, the greater the range. Fuel density varies greatly, but is generally becoming less dense as environmental concerns cause refineries to remove sulphur from fuel. The most dense fuel can be found on the eastern side of the Pacific Rim - LAX, SFO, and SEA. These fuels average around 6.8 pounds per gallon for Jet A which is a more dense fuel than Jet B. The least dense fuels are found on the Western side of the Pacific Rim.

Jet B tends to average around 6.3 pounds per gallon, Jet A was not available, that's why I took off with 38,600 pounds instead of 41,300 pounds which is what the GV will hold if fuel density is 6.75 pounds per gallon and temperature is within around one Sigma of ISA.

GV

GVFlyer said:
NBAA Reserve fuel for the GV is 2,860 pounds. The engines burn pounds per hour not gallons per hour. Thus, the more dense the fuel, the greater the range. Fuel density varies greatly, but is generally becoming less dense as environmental concerns cause refineries to remove sulphur from fuel. The most dense fuel can be found on the eastern side of the Pacific Rim - LAX, SFO, and SEA. These fuels average around 6.8 pounds per gallon for Jet A which is a more dense fuel than Jet B. The least dense fuels are found on the Western side of the Pacific Rim.

Jet B tends to average around 6.3 pounds per gallon, Jet A was not available, that's why I took off with 38,600 pounds instead of 41,300 pounds which is what the GV will hold if fuel density is 6.75 pounds per gallon and temperature is within around one Sigma of ISA.

GV
Yikes... 2,860 sounds light on the reserve, but I understand the G-V is more efficient than the G-IV...

So 38,600 was full fuel in the G-V when using Jet B? That is a huge difference from the 41,300...

Interesting, thanks for the answer...

Falcon Captain

Yes, fuel density as it relates to range is an interesting subject. Density varies as the fuel comes from the refinery (6.45 to 7.00ppg) and again as a function of temperature. Fuel density is always quoted at 60 degrees F. Typical fuel density variance as a product of temperature is .53 lbs/gal.

Thus, maximum fuel using Jet A in the GV varies from 43,859 pounds with dense fuel at -20 C to 38,796 pounds at 30 C with minimum density fuel.

An airplane operates on BTUs. There is relationship between density and heat content. When density decreases, the heat content per pound goes up but the heat content per gallon declines much faster.

As the hydrogen content of fuel increases and sulphur content decreases, the density of fuel decreases. This is the trend for the future.

As a result of fuel property changes, many aircraft are becoming fuel volume limited on some long range routes.

GV

Latest resources

Back