• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Guy in back gets dream shot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So for all you FO's out there, if you were in this situation would you switch seats?

No.

It's not a matter of whether or not I think I'd be able to pull off a safe landing from the left seat, rather that I would be more capable from the right seat.

If you wanted to taxi all the way to the gate, why not just switch seats once on the ground?

I think the "FO" was actually a Check Airman doing OE with an upgrading Captain.

Ahh, that could explain it.

I definitely wouldn't be trying to taxi anywhere, stopping on the runway or using a high speed would be the order for the day.

Screw the TSA

So for all you FO's out there, if you were in this situation would you switch seats?

I'm not trying to start any arguments or insinuate anything about the FO/Captain/surviving pilot's choices, I'm just saying that until read this article I don't think switching seats would've crossed my mind. I know I'd feel much more comfortable flying and landing from the right seat since I do it every day, and other than not having access to the tiller I think I could get everything done from there as well. Obviously I've never flown a 757 so I can only go on my own experiences, maybe a 757 guy can weigh in on the subject.

Again, I think this guy did a fine job getting the plane on the ground and I'm not passing judgement on him at all, I'm just curious about the idea of switching seats.

As an EXTREMELY experienced FO (not on the 75), I can say that as long as there is a jack for my Ipod on the left seat...I wouldn't mind switching seats with Brown! I would put ACDC "Hell's Bells" on in that Motha Fukin cockpit...and land the big girl!! Done it so many times on FS2004...

I think the "FO" was actually a Check Airman doing OE with an upgrading Captain.
If this happens to a regular FO, I imagine the best thing to do is just stop on the runway and get the medics onboard.

I can imagine a lot of cases where it would be faster to taxi to the gate than to stop on the runway and wait for someone to bring portable stairs out to the aircraft (no airstairs on a 75).

Why not use all available resources in an emergency situation? I do not see how using a private pilot to help out would be a bad thing, I am sure he understood how to lower gear, talk on the radio, and had a basic understanding of how to read a checklist, plus just having someone there in a stressful situation would help calm the nerves a little.

I agree with you all the way!

and if you really want to throw up in your mouth a little, go over to a.net and read what those "experts" have to say about this.....
Link please.

"There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?"

Does anyone on board own any version of Flight Simulator? If so, would you please let the flight attendant know as soon as possible.

"You ever been in a 757 cockpit before?"

"No sir, I've never been up in a 757 before."

"You ever seen a grown man naked?"

Latest resources

Back