• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Guy in back gets dream shot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The private pilot said he sat in the right seat... that means the fo (acting captain) switched to fly in the left seat - makes the PIC time more official - classic

If the autopilot was on, were they logging instrument time? Maybe they requested a treadmill for their emergency landing. It would make the ground roll shorter.

So for all you FO's out there, if you were in this situation would you switch seats?

I'm not trying to start any arguments or insinuate anything about the FO/Captain/surviving pilot's choices, I'm just saying that until read this article I don't think switching seats would've crossed my mind. I know I'd feel much more comfortable flying and landing from the right seat since I do it every day, and other than not having access to the tiller I think I could get everything done from there as well. Obviously I've never flown a 757 so I can only go on my own experiences, maybe a 757 guy can weigh in on the subject.

Again, I think this guy did a fine job getting the plane on the ground and I'm not passing judgement on him at all, I'm just curious about the idea of switching seats.

In addition, the private pilot can log the time as dual since the FO (now Captain) has an ATP, correct?

Lilah
I'm going to say "nope" since the pilot wasn't a CAL employee. Unless he's got a CFII or MEI...

61.167 (a) A person who holds an airline transport pilot certificate is entitled to the same privileges as those afforded a person who holds a commercial pilot certificate with an instrument rating.
(b) An airline transport pilot may instruct—
(1) Other pilots in air transportation service in aircraft of the category, class, and type, as applicable, for which the airline transport pilot is rated and endorse the logbook or other training record of the person to whom training has been given;
(2) In flight simulators, and flight training devices representing the aircraft referenced in paragraph (b)(1) of this section, when instructing under the provisions of this section and endorse the logbook or other training record of the person to whom training has been given;
(3) Only as provided in this section, unless the airline transport pilot also holds a flight instructor certificate, in which case the holder may exercise the instructor privileges of subpart H of part 61 for which he or she is rated; and
(4) In an aircraft, only if the aircraft has functioning dual controls, when instructing under the provisions of this section.

Either way, good job on the FO for asking for help...good job on Brown for helping to git'r'dun

-mini

So for all you FO's out there, if you were in this situation would you switch seats?

At our company, the manual specifically says "no" to switching seats in the event of incapacitation. I can see the nosewheel steering argument, though; but are you really gonna taxi to the gate? EMS could meet you on the runway just as easily.

I would think at this point, a deviation to the manuals for the sake of safety of flight was the best case scenario.

I'm not trying to start any arguments or insinuate anything about the FO/Captain/surviving pilot's choices, I'm just saying that until read this article I don't think switching seats would've crossed my mind. I know I'd feel much more comfortable flying and landing from the right seat since I do it every day, and other than not having access to the tiller I think I could get everything done from there as well. Obviously I've never flown a 757 so I can only go on my own experiences, maybe a 757 guy can weigh in on the subject.

Again, I think this guy did a fine job getting the plane on the ground and I'm not passing judgement on him at all, I'm just curious about the idea of switching seats.

I wouldn't - tough to convince the lawyers that the reason you botched the landing wasn’t because you have no training / experience landing that A/C from that seat. Besides I wouldn’t be taxiing into the gate with a guy on the verge of death on the airplane – I would have medics on board as soon as I could bring it to a stop not after a 5 minute taxi.

In no way am I actually serious about the FO doing something to further his ego or his logbook in this case - but when I read that he was in the left seat it made me chuckle

I think the "FO" was actually a Check Airman doing OE with an upgrading Captain.
If this happens to a regular FO, I imagine the best thing to do is just stop on the runway and get the medics onboard.

Latest resources

Back