• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

GoJet... Will it ruin my career?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For what it's worth no one in the upper food chain of corporate departments cares what regional you worked at. We see Skywest, Mesa, and GoJets guys as the same. Hard working pilots who are looking to move up the ladder.

Gotta be able to commute to work first

It's not that an interview panel would turn you down after seeing that piss-poor operation on your resume.

It's getting to that interview in the first place.

If someone at that place wants a recommendation from me, it's not going to happen.

There are many like that.

So, if you get an interview with it on your resume, fine. But getting that interview might not be as easy after you've demonstrated to your friends and co-workers your super-high standards of employers.

And turning down good jobs overseas because FDX has the postal requirement is dumb. You could make a million dollars flying an Embraer in the five year address period.

It's not a no-brainer at all, lateral move issues aside (I think it's dumb for that alone).

Gotta be able to commute to work first

Haha. Yeah, a good portion of my FOs would be off the trip if I were to insist on taking one in the jumpseat. No seats in the back? There's probably another flight in a couple hours.

Wow, I have never turned down a jumpseater, I will do anything in my power to accommodate even if it means making up excuses with the company and going to the pad and burning fuel or getting ballast. Being a hard on about the jumpeast is just bad carma and shows that you have a major inferiority complex.

I need 600 hours PIC turbine and I will have an interview where I want to go.

Unless it is some kind of corp gig that requires you to get 600 more tpic you have no guarantee of an interview at any 121 major when you 1000 tpic, no matter what someone on the "inside" tells you. It doesn't work that way in large companies anymore.

Although an internal rec will help in most cases, middle management (read CP's and HR types) and down are the ones that shift through the stacks and decide who gets the call. While upper management still get a free pass to f'up, break rules and play buddy buddy, the rest of us "underlings" are held accountable for our actions. In this day in age it is very easy to trace your actions at work.

So while a rec may help you, you will still have to get in line behind the many others that have a rec and way more than 1000 tpic. Maybe once the hiring cycle (notice I didn't say "boom" Yip) gets started they (majors) will take 1000tpic and no tpic faster but for now (now being the very beginning of the hiring cycle (hey Yip, there is that word cycle again, not "boom") your going to compete with guys who have several years RJ pic or military and a rec.

Good Luck whatever you decide. And as you probably already know, it's a big crap shoot anyway. Hope your feeling lucky and give us a call when your 65 to tell us how it all worked out.

Personally I have 27 more years before I can let you know how my "dice rolls" play out.

Last edited:
Unless it is some kind of corp gig that requires you to get 600 more tpic you have no guarantee of an interview at any 121 major when you 1000 tpic, no matter what someone on the "inside" tells you. It doesn't work that way in large companies anymore.

Although an internal rec will help in most cases, middle management (read CP's and HR types) and down are the ones that shift through the stacks and decide who gets the call. While upper management still get a free pass to f'up, break rules and play buddy buddy, the rest of us "underlings" are held accountable for our actions. In this day in age it is very easy to trace your actions at work.

So while a rec may help you, you will still have to get in line behind the many others that have a rec and way more than 1000 tpic. Maybe once the hiring cycle (notice I didn't say "boom" Yip) gets started they (majors) will take 1000tpic and no tpic faster but for now (now being the very beginning of the hiring cycle (hey Yip, there is that word cycle again, not "boom") your going to compete with guys who have several years RJ pic or military and a rec.

Good Luck whatever you decide. And as you probably already know, it's a big crap shoot anyway. Hope your feeling lucky and give us a call when your 65 to tell us how it all worked out.

Personally I have 27 more years before I can let you know how my "dice rolls" play out.

No. At least once he has that, it's a automatic checkoff on your resume. Me, I have a grand total of zero turbine PIC time. If my current job goes poof, I have an absolute ZERO chance of getting hired at Southwest, Fedex, UPS, and any other airline that requires TPIC. You are correct that once you get the 1,000 TPIC the doors in heaven won't all open up, but it is something you can check off on your resume and application, and allow you go to apply to those carriers. Me? No luck. I'd be wasting time applying to SWA and FDX knowing I have 0 TPIC.

But hey, its all about getting that TPIC time and move on, right? Not sure why everyone thinks as soon as they hit 1000 TPIC all the majors will come knock on your door and hire you!

I know right, I got 4 times that and can't get a call from anyone.

I understand that the doors of heaven don't just come open when you get 1,000 PIC. I have realistic expectations and knowledge of the industry. I do have sweet hookups though....

I know right, I got 4 times that and can't get a call from anyone.

Join the club. 7K jet PIC and I'm starting to think I'm only good for the leper colony.

think there's one out in Hawaii, which is nice

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back