• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Go Around, BE PROFESSIONAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's company policy to be Vapp from the OM inbound. What would you do? We have just as much of a right to be there as you. It sucks, but it's life!

Do you have a stabilized approach policy at your company? What was the prevailing weather like? VFR or IFR?

Adapt to the playground you are in. If the other boys and girls are playing at 140kts min, don't be a dink and fly at 117kts from the OM inbound. At least give em 140.

And I fly a Citation too but mine (for some reason) is capable of flying a higher speed approach and and then slowing to Vref +10 by the stabilized approach min altitude of 500AGL or 1000 above mins (whichever applies). Maybe it's the crew at the controls?

You give us Citation drivers a bad name because you can't fly your craft with respect to others around you.

Yes you can fly a Citation fast THEN slow to be stabilized by 500 or 1000 above mins. Happens all the time in PHL, DFW, ORD, JFK, SEA, SFO, LAX, DEN... need I go on?

Airports and runways don't belong to you or "them", true. But with a 30-50 kt closure rate, they CAN'T slow down (while you CAN stay a bit faster)... doesn't make what you did right.

They were within norms to dink you on the radio. I would have dinked you.

On top of that, our planes stop on a dime, there's no energy management to be concerned with as compared to a 140,000+ lb. plane.

You have no excuse and "company policy", as I've found it, usually makes more sense tempered with a dose of common sense in situations like this.

Last edited:
Last night while my FO was landing, and ATC put a Delta 757/767 close behind us(slotation). I saw my FO start to rush, and get nervous. I told him it's our runway till we turn off and do things how you normally would. I informed ATC that our approach speed would be 117KIAS.

On the roll out tower told DAL to go around. The response from one of the DAL pilots was an extremely unprofessional grunt followed by mumbling get off our runway. I know it sucks, and I'm sorry to that crew for the inconvenience, but my crew doesn't rush.

It really speaks volumes when my early 20s FO says "that's unprofessional" about a 30 - 60 something Legacy pilot.

Let's try to be more respectful to each other, please.

If you stick to the assigned speeds (or your FO does it thanks to YOUR watching), then there really shouldn't be any goarounds. Controllers are usually pretty good at putting planes in slots, and can tell when spacing is getting tight. Depending on what runway you are on and the associated traffic, the Delta guy could have asked for a slight S-turn at worst. Sounds like you need to brief your FO on proper procedures and not rolling to the end. If you are an RJ or turboprop, the first highspeed is usually the one you should aim for. Larger planes usually go to the second.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Do you have a stabilized approach policy at your company? What was the prevailing weather like? VFR or IFR?

If it's VMC out there, adapt to the playground you are in. If the other boys and girls are playing at 140kts min, don't be a dink and fly at 117kts from the OM inbound. At least give em 140.

And I fly a Citation too but mine is capable of flying a higher speed approach and then slowing to Vref +10 by the stabilized approach min altitude of 500AGL or 1000 above Mins (whichever applies).

You give us Citation drivers a bad name because you can't fly your craft with respect to others around you.

Yes you can fly a Citation fast THEN slow to be stabilized by 500 or 1000 above mins. Happens all the time in PHL, DFW, ORD, JFK, SEA, SFO, LAX, DEN... need I go on?

Those airports and runways don';t belong to you or them but with a 30-50 kt closure rate because they CAN'T speed up (while you CAN stay a bit faster) doesn't make what you did right.

They were within norms to dink you on the radio. I would have dinked you.

On tip of that, our planes stop on a dime, there's no energy management to be concerned with as compared to a 140,000+ lb. plane.

You have no excuse and "company policy", as I've found it, usually makes more sense tempered with a dose of common sense in situations like this.

IMC for most of the app 500ft. If it was a visual it would be a different story.

I say so what! You landed, they went around. Your feelings were that hurt that a Delta Pilot complained you had to run to your computer and post this on FI. This speaks volumes of what kinda person you are.

People go around all the time. No big deal, and he probably got a few extra dollars in his pocket to Fill you his Yukon.

You operated per the book. You did fine.

Whether or not DAL was inconvenienced, it does not warrant them chastising you for their g/a. Their behavior was unprofessional. Ever heard of an S-turn, DAL?

Last night while my FO was landing, and ATC put a Delta 757/767 close behind us(slotation). I saw my FO start to rush, and get nervous. I told him it's our runway till we turn off and do things how you normally would. I informed ATC that our approach speed would be 117KIAS.

On the roll out tower told DAL to go around. The response from one of the DAL pilots was an extremely unprofessional grunt followed by mumbling get off our runway. I know it sucks, and I'm sorry to that crew for the inconvenience, but my crew doesn't rush.

It really speaks volumes when my early 20s FO says "that's unprofessional" about a 30 - 60 something Legacy pilot.

Let's try to be more respectful to each other, please.
It's not your fault if the DAL crew is already 3 hours late and trying to make up time;)

You guys did the right thing, you didn't get outside your limits and did not compromise safety. Nothing to apologize or feel sorry about.

For the record, we flew 280 till 10000, then 250 till underlying class B then 200 to the OM. It was max legal speed all the way.

If you were going into ATL, why would you have been underlying Class B? Did they send you that far out on downwind below 2500 feet?

I say so what! You landed, they went around. Your feelings were that hurt that a Delta Pilot complained you had to run to your computer and post this on FI. This speaks volumes of what kinda person you are.

People go around all the time. No big deal, and he probably got a few extra dollars in his pocket to Fill you his Yukon.

It might be fun to do go arounds in the sim, but today a go around is EXPENSIVE. If you have to go around, do it, otherwise, being prepared for an approach and being on speed is probably a better idea.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
IMC for most of the app 500ft. If it was a visual it would be a different story.

Ok then.

So long as you flew 20 to the marker (as assigned) and then configured and slowed to Vref +10 by 1000 above minimums for the ILS, you did all you could.

I don't envy the guys behind us though at these big airports.

The runway comes alot faster...

Latest resources

Back