• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Go Around, BE PROFESSIONAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
10 pages later and this stupid topic is still going on? Wow, this is almost as good as the rjdc debates!

What's with the assumptions about Citations? I have to be patient everyday as I'm climbing at 300/.80, cruising at .91, and descending at 340/.90, all while dodging Madogs and such.

Damn right Perv!

There's nothing like climbing out at the same speed as an airliner in cruise, climbing above them by a few thousand feet, leveling out and leaving them in the dust. Never got old in the X.

If you stick to the assigned speeds (or your FO does it thanks to YOUR watching), then there really shouldn't be any goarounds. Controllers are usually pretty good at putting planes in slots, and can tell when spacing is getting tight. Depending on what runway you are on and the associated traffic, the Delta guy could have asked for a slight S-turn at worst. Sounds like you need to brief your FO on proper procedures and not rolling to the end. If you are an RJ or turboprop, the first highspeed is usually the one you should aim for. Larger planes usually go to the second.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Good response.

If you want unprofessional I've got one for you. My last month flying an East US Air plane pulled out onto the runway cleared for takeoff with us on a 4 mile final. After screaming at the East airplane for about 30 seconds tower finally told us to go around. Thats the kind of professionalism you'll find at US Airways.

You're right. The Delta crew should have KNOWN, via their experience, that you guys would screw up the system in Atlanta. Their bad.

Hollywood is absolutely right...it's HIS runway not your airlines' runway; even if you are in your hub city which happens to have the busiest airport in the world. ATC should better manage spacing between aircraft and/or communicate better as to what speed you want the aircraft to maintain. Or, better yet, the DAL pilot could have ANTICIPATED this happening, being that he was following a STRAIGHT wing jet. With all that experience 'flying the heavies', he should have known better.

Hollywood is absolutely right...it's HIS runway not your airlines' runway; even if you are in your hub city which happens to have the busiest airport in the world. ATC should better manage spacing between aircraft and/or communicate better as to what speed you want the aircraft to maintain. Or, better yet, the DAL pilot could have ANTICIPATED this happening, being that he was following a STRAIGHT wing jet. With all that experience 'flying the heavies', he should have known better.

Isn't that what I said?

Anyway, my bet is that the guy slowed earlier than he said he did. I simply don't believe him, and he is appealing to emotions that I don't have bitching about it on FI. The ATL controllers do an outstanding job, and have everything down to the gnats a$$. The problem is when a rookie comes in and throws a wrench into the system. Like it or not, that's what he is. I care not what his specs say. Chances are, if somebody is screwing up the system, it is a corporate guy.

Nonetheless, the Delta crew should have known that he would. Funny, I don't hear the Delta crew on FI crying about it.

True! Although I never have been asked to fly faster than 170 by ATC going into TEB. If it's visual we hold 170kts till 500ft as per.... you guessed it, the SOP.

So if it's visual you can go 170 kts till 500 ft??

I"m surprised you can get slowed to your ref speed by touchdown.

He said that his ref speed was 102 KIAS that day.

Thats 70 knots of slowing in less than 30 seconds. It just seems awfully unstabilized to me. (Since this whole thread was about SOPs, I am just amazed that his allow for this)

Latest resources

Back