• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Go Around, BE PROFESSIONAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If the destination is the primary airport within the class B, the underlying 200 knot restriction is usually not desired by controllers. Ask the controller if you are uncertain. Slowing (as even the ATR guys know) can cause other problems.

It's a speed limit; ATC doesn't have a say in the matter.

So if it's visual you can go 170 kts till 500 ft??

I"m surprised you can get slowed to your ref speed by touchdown.

You misunderstood. You can fly at 170Kts., but be at ref -0/+20 before 500ft, you have to allow some time to slow down. That doesn't mean 170kts to 500ft.

Ahh. Standard Stabilized approach criteria..

I'm sure you can understand how it was confusing when you said:

If it's visual we hold 170kts till 500ft

Maintaing a speed until a fix, and slowing before a fix to be on speed are two totally different things.

Maybe the same confusion was in effect that night, eh??

Listen, if your FO can't handle it, then you fly the legs into the busy airports, and let him fly to Valdosta. Really, that go around your FO CAUSED cost us $6000 (more than both of you make in a month). Take charge MAN! Don't be a wuss.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I just want to point out our company buys $15,000 worth of airline tickets per month. This is the first g/a I've seen anyone do for us in the past year.

1 $6000 g/a and we spent $180K in airline tickets last year. Alot of that went to DAL.

See ya tomorrow! It's crew swap day, going home!!! I'll be in 2A with a Jack Coke.

Ahh. Standard Stabilized approach criteria..

I'm sure you can understand how it was confusing when you said:

Maintaing a speed until a fix, and slowing before a fix to be on speed are two totally different things.

Maybe the same confusion was in effect that night, eh??

No. I made a point of saying what speed we need by the OM, not at or past it.

If you can't fly any airplane you are qualified in from stall speed to MMO, or the top of the red arc, you ain't professional.

If you can't fly any airplane you are qualified in from stall speed to MMO, or the top of the red arc, you ain't professional.

And if you do so on final approach, you're an incompetent moron. What's the point here? Some would argue that you can barrel roll an airplane without exceeding any design limits (note I did not say operational limits). Are you advocating that inside the marker too?

BTW - I've never flown an aircraft with a red arc on the airspeed indicator, and most turbojets have a barber pole, not a redline (though the 500 series Citations I'm familiar with actually have two redlines).

I just feel sorry for this guy's copilot. The poor guy was trying to do the right thing in keeping the operation moving, but his idiot CA stopped him. The DAL crew reacted appropriately.

Latest resources

Back