• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Getting the call from US Airways?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Right now US Airways is a BIG gamble. Why?. They are desperate for a merger in any form or shape, and for me that sounds a little bit scarry.Why? Doug Parker (US Airways CEO) will do anything to get a merger done. ($$$$$$ in his pocket). And sad to say we the employees are not included in the equation. Management see us as an obstacle. Rumor is the DCA crew base is in the chopping block. (Just a rumor!!!!) Do you imagine a major airline with just two crew bases. How pathetic is that?. IMHO is only for one reason. Yes it's true, US Airways is better that any regional out there, and yes we will have lots of retirements, but that really means nothing if the airline merges eventually. Just my .02 cents. Do what you think is right for your career and good luck.

I'm sorry, I meant three crew bases left if they close DCA. (PHX,PHL,CLT)

I don't think you gotta worry about DCA. It's not going anywhere. In fact, there trying to make it bigger with this Delta slot swap they've been trying to knock out for the past two years.

I don't think you gotta worry about DCA. It's not going anywhere. In fact, there trying to make it bigger with this Delta slot swap they've been trying to knock out for the past two years.
I agree DCA isn't going anywhere, if anything it is going to get bigger with this slot swap deal and possibly the perimeter rule being lifted. From what I have heard is they want to fly to an additional 4-5 cities on west coast (not including PHX and LAS) if approved. We already have adequate frequency to these two. It would be really difficult to fly the amount of block hours out of there without it being a base.

As far as rumors, the one I heard a couple days ago was interesting. The company has been saying that we either need more 190's or get rid of the 15 we have as a subfleet of 15 doesn't work long term. The rumor was that we are getting rid of all 737's and replacing them with 50 e190/195's and they are going to pay group 2 pay to keep the training cycles down.

Part of me calls BS but I could actually see this happening, especially if this slot swap at DCA happens. The shuttle would be all 190, which is what they want. They would free up additional aircraft to fly to west coast by doing this. We shall soon see.....

As far as rumors, the one I heard a couple days ago was interesting. The company has been saying that we either need more 190's or get rid of the 15 we have as a subfleet of 15 doesn't work long term. The rumor was that we are getting rid of all 737's and replacing them with 50 e190/195's and they are going to pay group 2 pay to keep the training cycles down.

The feeling I got from CLT last week was leaning more to the remaining 190's going bye bye. We don't have enough money to put deposits on new aircraft - new credit rules say 20% down per aircraft.

And apparently our credit isn't good:

NEW YORK (AP) -- Fitch Ratings on Friday affirmed its speculative debt ratings on US Airways Group Inc. and said the outlook for those ratings is stable.
They include an issuer default rating of "CCC," a senior secured term loan due in 2014 at "B+" and senior unsecured convertible notes at "C." The last rating is the weakest of the group, and Fitch says it means US Airways' notes carry "exceptionally high levels of credit risk" and "default is imminent or inevitable."
The ratings cover $1.1 billion in term loan debt and $179 million in convertible notes.
Fitch said the ratings reflect US Airways' high debt, weak but improving access to cash, and volatile cash generation.
It said the airline's operating performance improved last year as the economy recovered, but it faces a more challenging environment this year, with fuel costs forecasted to rise more than $1 billion compared to 2010.
Fitch said the airline's cash commitments in upcoming years are manageable, with debt maturities of about $400 million this year and $455 million next year.
Shares of Tempe, Ariz.-based US Airways fell 15 cents to close at $10.17

Last edited:
In the mod 80's I went to Eastern, a company that was obviously in trouble. Everyone of my freinds that I went there with now has a job at a legacy carrier. The mentality then was it's better to be one of them looking for a job than competing with them looking for a job. I would go to USAir in a heart beat. Good luck. Anyone that gets hired there will have fun.

Since you quoted my post.....

Did you see anything in my post that said anything about a regional being better than USAirways?

Do you consider Mesaba to be a Major Airline?

Do you have problems with reading comprehension?

Are you a ********************-tard?

Wow - your really tough on the poor guy who is trying to do better for himself and his family.

Let me guess - your furloughed Westie?

Metrojet

Just an update:

Straight from the PHL Chief Pilot (J.C)...

Interviews will start next week... I didn't ask if letters or calls went out already, but the bottom line is that we will be interviewing off the street pilot's starting next week... I asked if off the street new hires would get the 190 or group II (AB/737), he said many new hires would get group II to start.. He also said the company realizes there is a problem with the 190 first year pay difference and that something needs be done about that to reduce training costs. The company doesnt want the 190 to be everyones first choice because of the higher pay just to bid off of it the following year after the seat-lock is over. He didn't offer any other information other than it was an issue with the company...

Within the first three weeks of opening the application window, well over 2,000 applications were received... They are going through those now... A very large percentage of the apps were from pilots at the regionals like Air Wisconsin and Republic... Company names he dropped, not prompted by me...

Anyway, good luck to those that want to work here, obviousily there are many that do, regardless of what you read on here...

One last thing, the company realizes the the upcoming retirements will have a huge impact on this airline... Movement is coming... very soon...

Ignore the haters on here!

US Airways is actually a pretty good gig. Eventually, the pay will get fixed and a contract will be in place. Great crews, excellent training, new airplanes coming, international expansion, retirements getting ready to start, company is in better finanical shape, if you live in base and bid reserve life is good!

Latest resources

Back