• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Gemini Minimums

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Two of my home boys did not make it IOE. That can get expensive for GAC. Training as of June: 2 weeks in DC, 3 weeks Long Beach, 5 days at home, and 3 weeks in HELL. It is taking awhile for IOE I waited almost 2 months. I will hang and see what happens with the contract next year, they need to fix a lot.
And yes DOGG'N ain't easy but its even harder sitting coach for 16 hours to get to and from work

They did not make it to IOE or through IOE?

What's the wash-out rate?

How much do your buddies owe Gemini?

They left before IOE. Our class did not have a contract, so they owe 0$. All 6 of us made it with little problems.

Last edited:
Sorry, Z, it was not a personal attack. If you can fly a jet, you should be able to get through the program. Maybe DA-20 can shed more light on whether his "home boys" were having problems with training, or got their types and left before IOE because they had jobs waiting. (it has happened, and is one of the reasons I'm thinking it's time for a contract.)
We've had the guys who have said "the frieght dog life appeals to me" leave after 2 months on line because "they needed more time at home."
Hey, Fog! Maybe you can dig up some of the facts and numbers of how many didn't hack the program or left after less than one year.
And to all you guys who think UPS is hiring the Gemini FO's with 200 MD11 hours in their logbooks think again. Most have had 2-3 years on the line at Gemini before they were called. I don't blame those guys for leaving. We just can't match the UPS pay scale. The FO pay scale here sucks after the second year, and hopefully we can do something with the new contract to fix it. For now, it is what it is. Anyone who has read all 4 pages of this thread will see that I've tried to tell it like it is to folks thinking about coming here.
Then they get their first coach class ticket to Shanhai, China and say OMG! I didn't know!
Six months at Gemini trying to "build your resume" is six months you could have been increasing your seniority at JB, AT, SWA, or CA.
Choose wisely, Grasshoppers!

I thought that ALPA had something in their by-laws which prohibited any kind/type of 'training contract' at carriers which they represent? I know while I was there --at GAC-- they had a couple of guys sign contracts whom they felt were at risk/easy targets, etc. for contracting. I'm unsure where ALPA would fall on that issue.

That said, like most of us on here, I can understand the position(s) of both the Company and the Pilot alike with regards to signing a contract; not trying to start a contest of wits. I'm just curious what ALPA's official stance is, and whether this would apply to a Probationary Crewmember at GAC?

As far as the GAC to UPS guys, I think it currently stands at 12 who're currently out and flying the line. Of those, the first 6 hired had right around a year of employment at GAC before coming over; +/- 2-3 months. The last 6 each had several years on the line like Fedora mentioned. Right now, there are several guys in the pipeline/pool, etc. that are relatively junior once again. So, it's going both ways w/ regards to seniority. One commonality: they've all got an MD-11 type.

Last edited:
I am going over to be an instructor on the 11, so I will know more once I get in to the school house. I am not going in to great detail as I do not have all the facts. What I do know it is not a training contract in the sense of say what World has. I will try to find out more details soon.

This all came about because we have had a few people leave within the first six months....

I don't think it should stop people from applying or interviewing. If you do not like the terms then don't take the job... That also goes for the pay, QOL etc. etc.

Not everyone came from GAC with MD types. I couldn't even spell MD-11 before I came here.

Ah, yes. Sorry, you're the exception though!! I think you're the first one as of late that they put on the -11 from GAC who wasn't already typed...not sure, maybe more are coming?

Not everyone came from GAC with MD types. I couldn't even spell MD-11 before I came here.
And I doubt that you had less than one year here on the DC-10.
Many of our DC-10 guys are more than qualified to go to UPS on any type aircraft. My point is that 6 months here on any aircraft will probably not get you hired at Brown.
I've had PM's from a guy who had 6 months at World who didn't understand why he didn't get the job at UPS. Six months into a two year training contract didn't seem to be a disqualifyer to him. Where has all the integrity gone?

Guys are going to go where they can earn a fair wage with a good company that treats them well. What is going on at GAC is happening many other places also. Guys are leaving CAL after getting typed in the 737 and going to SWA. Regional pilots are leaving smaller, less desirable outfits for bigger, better paying ones. As long as you abide by the cancellation terms of the contract, its business, not a lack of integrity.

Do you guys get all of the air-miles for all of the dead-heading you do? ...That would be a great way to offset the lack of non-revenue \ zed-fare travel. How does Gemini go about picking which airline to dead-head you on? ZP

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back