• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And allow me to retort:

Originally Posted by vindiesel
Creature comforts?

We have plush, electric seats with recline and 20-35 years of butt-sweat collected in them!

Granted on the 10 but the 11 is no where near 30 years old, may be closer 12. Plus the 11s have bunks.

-------------1991 is the date stamp I remember on the MD, I was in HS when that plane was flying around, its OLD! I was referring to the 10 though, I never understood why the yoke was always so GREASY!

Catering, pick your local dish, Indian, African cusine at its nastiest, occasionally we get some mystery meat, could be dog, could be horse!

This is absolute rubbish, at least on the SAA contract. First class setups, with first class meals. Let me see my last leg the selection was Veal, Lamb or Chicken. Also included was a large sandwich and fruit tray.

----------I somewhat disagree; I have had mystery meat more than I care to acknowlege, i will concede that I am a bit picky with my food, I like american cusine best!

What is this scheduling of which you speak??

The bid pack comes out the 12th of every month, you can choose if you want to work the first half or the second half of the month,

True

still 18 day lines always a carry in or carry out pairing(through the next month)

Not true. The majority are 17 day lines.

---------I say 18, it really averages out to 17.6!

Bidding is essentially reserve,

Partially true. Depends on the A/C the DC10 has some hard lines as does the 11.

--------hard lines do exist, but they are RARELY held to the schedule, nature of this business.

you may bid on known flying, assuming they publish known flying,

True

but realistically, you are always bidding reserve,

Not true.
--------I say true, because you are really bidding for availability during a bid cycle,(trips will change) its either first half or second half of the month- unless they created a split line (rare)

RARELY will you ever see over 65 hours, so complain all you want, if you bid China lines and they send you to India, assuming no difference in guarantee, you are screwed!

True. We are starting to to see lines over 65 hours both on the 11 and 10. Premium pay for one of the AMC trips now. Wont say which one but the Gemini guys know. Also extra insurance.
Rmember we don't go to Cleveland three times a day.

Training- we will train you to become the most maligned, underpaid FO in the history of modern heavy jet transport,

This absolute rubbish. Granted our pay could be a lot better but we are not the lowest paid or most maligned.

----That was a reference to the MD11, I don't believe you will find many other MD11(modern) heavy jet transport operations that pay as little as we do in either seat- even World makes us look bad these days. Maligned- who else got their payscales reduced after a 4 year payfreeze in the industry? I cant think of any..

you will find our training department and their attitudes fair, not impossible.

True. The majority are bunch of great guys who want to see people succeed.

Deadhead travel, I have traveled in airplanes as a pax as often as a pilot and trust me, it has gotten old FAST! NY to Johannesburg is @ 27 hours with lost luggage to boot...

How is having your luggage lost Gemini's fault. I have airlined all the way to Joburg from the east coast and yes it is over 24 hours. Because it was over 20 hours I took crew rest in FRA and it was all business class. Also you get to keep all your FF miles.

-------Not Gemini's fault at all, but part of life here. I can personally assure you Fedora had his luggage "misplaced" enroute to India, many people do because we are likely to be required to check bags in certain situations. Business class is only for 2 places- Africa and India right now, while it is nice to ride up in the elegance, it still means X amount of double digit hours commuting every month, sometimes every week, like you did in May when you airlined more than you operated flights. I HATE being in a flying tube for longer than I can sleep!

Hotels, my favorite gripe...
Right now we have a company issued AMEX card we pay for our rooms 90% of the time then submit an expense report at the end of your pairing to hopefully recoup your money in time to pay your bill, my last months hotels were @$4300. USD and I am still waiting for the reimbursment, check due to come from Gemini on the 10th...

I agree. I hate the AMEX setup. The hotels we stay at, for the most part are outstanding. Mostly 4 and 5 star hotels. The company is prompt and never missed a payment.

-----What???? I'll admit I have stayed in some nicer hotels on occasion, but I will poll anyone on any thread and ask them ablou the 5 clowns in NY or any hotel we EVER stayed at in the US. I can assure you that if you are honest with yourself, we stay at 2 and 3 star hotels more than 4 or 5 star hotels. I think everyones experience will vary, but Amerisuites, Holiday inn, NH, best eastern Tajikistan(back me up Jeff!) and whatever the latest facility in use in Lagos, Nigeria is! In Ghana 4 times- never seen the Tulip!!

BTW, we go to Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, Nigeria, Turkey, Kyrgyzstan, Bangladesh and about 10 more of the 25 most danerous places in the WORLD, for a white guy!!!

All true. I have overnighted in the majority of places with no issues. I even used to bid Lagos. Remember we don't go to Cleveland three times a day. I also remember not being able to land at the Detroit downtown airport because the tower was taking gunfire.
-----I miss Cleveland!! HAHA! I would like to say I wont miss the flying, but I do I really miss the people- ALL GOOD FOLKS!

Hope you get your shots!

True, get your shots, but after you get hired because the company will pay for it.

YOU NEED SHOTS!!!!!!!

This type of flying is not for everyone. Some people hate it so think long and hard before you come. If you are married and your wife is not self sufficent or wants you home every few days then this is not for you.

-------I think that this job is perfect for anyone who needs to go into the witness protection program! no one will ever go to Afghanistan to find you, no one will stalk you in Nigeria!!!!!!!!!!!

Over and out from South Africa. Wildlife park tomorrow.
-----over and out from FL, I spilt some koolaid on myself today!

Okay I want to address some of the points that VIN has mentioned. Granted this is my own opinion. We do have issues but a lot of the time it was you make of it.
If you want to fly domestic, Gemini (insert any ACMI carrier) is not for you. If you want to be home every three or four days Gemini is not for you. If you don't want to commercial more than 6+ hours Gemini is not for you.

True, get your shots, but after you get hired because the company will pay for it.

This type of flying is not for everyone. Some people hate it so think long and hard before you come. If you are married and your wife is not self sufficent or wants you home every few days then this is not for you.

Over and out from South Africa. Wildlife park tomorrow.

Now boys! Don't make me come back there! LOL!
You both make very valid points and it shows the difference in the individual attitudes required to cope with the situations we face at Gemini. I've flown with Vin, and he's a particularly picky eater, so while understanding his particular tastes, the rest of us can pretty much digest the dishes offered on the road. (Vin, I hope that you find enough hot soups on the road at JB!)
Freight doggin' ain't for everyone, folks. That's it in a nutshell. It is particularly bad as an FO here at Gemini. They are not paid enough for the job that they do. Simply said.
Captains here, while underpaid, have enough to sustain a reasonable lifestyle. I feel bad for the FO's who are using their per diem to supplement their income and can't afford a meal at a restaurant while on the road.
For those who don't know, Vin and Fog have been close friends at another carrier before they came to Gemini. The difference I'd say, is in the "breaking point". Vin will be newly married living in NJ and flying for JB. Makes perfect sense to me. Don't start a new relationship with any woman as a freight dog!
Fog is established with a family who understands what he does to put food on the table. I hope that he upgrades soon, because it is long overdue.
So all you grasshoppers out there choose wisely. Freight Dogging is not for everyone.

So all you grasshoppers out there choose wisely. Freight Dogging is not for everyone.

After being backed-to-backed so soon out of the starting blocks, I'd have to agree with Fedora's statement. But I was probably more upset at the availability (or lack thereof) of beer while enjoying the 'Beautiful panoramic view'...of sand in every direction.

Fog and Fedora didn't sugar coat anything about this place when I did my initial inquiry, and for that I'm thankful. The Captains and other F/O's I've flown with after IOE have been so helpful with getting me acclimated to int'l ops.

Fedora, nice to finally put a name with the face. Thanks for the grub and H2O the other day. Fog, I still owe you a beer. But you won't get it in RUH!:bawling:

Rook

hmm 2.35x24=$56.40 US per day. thats about 1 meal in a EU hotel, wont take long to roll through that.

Riyadh = 3.65 Riyals/USD.
Meals are 23 Riyals (6.30 USD) No Problem.
UK pound=2.20 /USD
One hamburger w/fries 15.50 or 34.10 USD. One beer at 4.60 LB = 10.12 USD. Ouch! (no beer in Riyadh)

From the DO's office last week (not "dated" info):
He always calls us "folks". (We're so chummy here). He failed to mention that we are parking another DC-10 next month. We also lose a lot of mchanics here because of the 26 days on schedule. Ever wonder why an airline that's not buying aircraft is hiring new people? Go figure!

Folks, I would like to bring you all up to speed on some items you might find of interest:
* We had a New Hire class of 4 MD-11 F/Os start on 10 Sept.
* We are in the process of interviewing for New Hire Classes of 6 MD-11 F/Os and 4 DC-10 F/Os, both of which will start on 15 Oct.
* I anticipate we will have another MD-11 New Hire class in November, so if you have friends/buddies who you know well and would recommend/stand behind becoming Gemini pilots, please get their resume`s to me ASAP.
* We currently have two MD-11 Captain candidates in upgrade training here at Dulles.
* We currently have a class of 4 New Hire Mechanics in training here at Dulles, as well as 2 new Maintenance Planners.
* We have had another very good month with our AMC flying on the DC-10s.
* The Electronic Flight Bag is now installed and functional in DC-10 604. Additional aircraft will follow.
* Our new satellite phones are now aboard all our aircraft. The initial reports I am getting on them is that they are working well and are a solid enhancement to our ability to communicate with HQ from the distant stations where we operate in the world.

Last edited:
Funny.
I've emailed, faxed, & mailed my resume to them twice within the last month.
...guess I'll keep trying.

Got another 4 hour layover at IAD?
It's a ten minute walk to HQ.
Out the departure doors, left turn past the taxi stand (easier if you cross the road).
About 100 yards to the short term parking garage and a right turn.
About another 100 yards to the end of the garage building and you will come to a road with a parking lot across the street. That is the back lot to the building where Gemini HQ is. Through that lot to the brown building, back door in, elevator to level 3 and Suite 300 for the G spot puzzle palace. You may have to ring for access.
Good luck.

Training.

Where is groundschool? (Indoc? Systems?)

Where do you go for the sim typically (on the -10? -11?)

Do you pay for your own hotel while in training?

Do you get paid while in training? How much?

Thanks

Latest resources

Back