• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Gemini Minimums

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think the most important question one needs to ask is why an airline that is slowly shrinking would be at same time running so many new hire classes.

Hey guys, just to keep everything from becoming "dated"... Gemini is requiring a training contract at this time. It requires full pay back of all training costs if you fail to make it through training, are terminated, or leave voluntarily prior to one year. Just thought I would keep everyone up to date. Good Luck!

Hey guys, just to keep everything from becoming "dated"... Gemini is requiring a training contract at this time. It requires full pay back of all training costs if you fail to make it through training, are terminated, or leave voluntarily prior to one year. Just thought I would keep everyone up to date. Good Luck!

...Well, now I think I am less interested. Thanks for the update.

ZP

Well, Z, I guess that shows a little bit of your true intentions if you are less interested now.
Gemini has been expending a great deal of money on training new hires, and a lot have left in six months or less. I can't blame them for doing something to get some of their money's worth. You should be able do do one year standing on your head! You've got to be pretty bad not to make it through Gemini's training, which is based on trying to get you though, not bust you out.
So all you guys who are planning to use Gemini as a "free type rating" stepping stone take heed!

BTW - I believe training pay is $50 a day, They put you up in nice long term stay apartment-type rooms with kitchenettes. A rental car per two person crew is included. Currently training for the 11 is in Long Beach, but I hear the sim might be moving to Miami. They were putting crews up at the Oakwood Apartments on the PCH next to Seal Beach. You can Google it if you want.
I, for one, am glad to see them doing something about these 3-6 month "wanna be's" using Gemini for a free ride. If you can't give us at least a year, move on and keep your hands out of our pockets.

I'll say it one more time for those who don't believe it. "Freight Dogging is not for everyone."
If you can't be away from your Mommy/Daddy/wife/kids/dog/cat or whatever for 18 days a month and the ocassional "back to back" 30 or more, than don't waste your time or ours.

Fedora-

I never stated that I am not interested....it just seems a little fishy that they would decide to now dump this contract on newhires. I have heard that the MD-11 is a difficult airplane, and I don't think that it is fair to enforce the contract if someone washes out. (As you can see, it potentially opens the contract to abuse: hire a pilot, have them sign a huge contract, wash them out, get the $$). On a side note, I have never busted a type ride or airline training.

However, I can see the company's position: pilots using Gemini to get a type rating and a job at UPS.

Ultimately I think the best solution would to become a more attractive employer (to retain pilots). First year pay is not the best, but it is on-par with your first year at most other majors/LCC. However, when you look at years 2-5, Gemini falls behind pretty quick. There really isn't a retirement program at Gemini. The biggest hesitation that I have is job security. Yes, I understand that it is always unsable at an ACMI because of the nature of the business, but Gemini seems to be returning aircraft (DC-10) and no official order for a replacement has been made.

I like the aircraft, scheduling, and destinations you guys fly to. I think I could make a career of it, but some things would have to be addressed.

And for the record, no, I was not looking at Gemini with the intention of getting the type and jumping to UPS.

ZP

Last edited:
BTW - I believe training pay is $50 a day, They put you up in nice long term stay apartment-type rooms with kitchenettes. A rental car per two person crew is included. Currently training for the 11 is in Long Beach, but I hear the sim might be moving to Miami. They were putting crews up at the Oakwood Apartments on the PCH next to Seal Beach. You can Google it if you want.
I, for one, am glad to see them doing something about these 3-6 month "wanna be's" using Gemini for a free ride. If you can't give us at least a year, move on and keep your hands out of our pockets.

I'll say it one more time for those who don't believe it. "Freight Dogging is not for everyone."
If you can't be away from your Mommy/Daddy/wife/kids/dog/cat or whatever for 18 days a month and the ocassional "back to back" 30 or more, than don't waste your time or ours.

...and thanks for the training info.

Yes, (don't laugh), but the Gemini lifestyle appeals to me. I'd like to go there and spend a career there, I just wish it was an easy decison....if the pay was a little better, and there was retirement.

ZP

fedora,

any details on how much the training contract is worth? is it pro-rated? i want to work at gemini once my current training agreement expires, hope you guys are still hiring then. are they still giving guys the full PIC type out of the gate?

Two of my home boys did not make it IOE. That can get expensive for GAC. Training as of June: 2 weeks in DC, 3 weeks Long Beach, 5 days at home, and 3 weeks in HELL. It is taking awhile for IOE I waited almost 2 months. I will hang and see what happens with the contract next year, they need to fix a lot.
And yes DOGG'N ain't easy but its even harder sitting coach for 16 hours to get to and from work

Latest resources

Back