• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

G4dude wants to scab thread.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm trying to help you. I also believe in the market. If it were free. It's not. The game is rigged against our side.

Exactly. The Railway labor act is HEAVILY slanted against employees. We have very few tools in our toolbox, making it critically important that we use them to their fullest.

I think now with the pilot shortage, the game is gonna be rigged for our side.

There IS no pilot shortage, nor will there be for the foreseeable future. Kit Darby made a fortune peddling that lie for decades. It still hasn't happened.

There IS no pilot shortage, nor will there be for the foreseeable future. Kit Darby made a fortune peddling that lie for decades. It still hasn't happened.
There is a shortage of pilots willing to work for what regionals are paying, in addition to the coming shortage from having few aspiring pilots in the pipeline.

NJA may very well find itself in the same position as regionals are in now. It's not only about the money, but also about QOL and job security, both of which are in question with the current EMT.

There are at least two possible failure scenarios I see. The first is that Harry Handjob obliterates more relationships with remaining vendors and makes it impossible for NJA to do business. We can't have our own FBO at every airport in the country, and when Signature, Landmark, Atlantic, etc has had enough of his shenanigans, we'll find ourselves without the ability to do business.

Second, pilot staffing. We all saw the article about NJA having 1000 applications on file and the interview / quote from the pilot who hasn't worked there since 2009. Compare that to the draw of any of the Boeing or Airbus operators. At some point the quality of newhire coming in will drop. This will inevitably lead to a lower quality experience for our owners, and at some point may very well contribute to an accident when we've had to lower our minimums to attract the quality pilot our company requires.

G4, your fear of the union is unfounded. The EMT has set forth a course that will put NJA out of business. Our negotiations are more complicated than any in recent aviation history because we are tasked not only with preserving the profession, but also preserving the company. This is close to Eastern Airlines Part II, except instead of a labor hating intelligent business man at the helm, we have a labor hating attorney at the helm who isn't qualified to run a 7/11.

Exactly. The Railway labor act is HEAVILY slanted against employees. We have very few tools in our toolbox, making it critically important that we use them to their fullest.

Well then, you must know something the FAA and the major airlines don't know.

http://news.erau.edu/top-news/airli...her-at-embry-riddle-to-discuss-pilot-shortage

Are we hoping we can force changes to the EMT during the contract negotiations, or is that a separate issue for another time?

Are we hoping we can force changes to the EMT during the contract negotiations, or is that a separate issue for another time?

It's happened at other carriers.

If THEY get to the point where they really really really want a contract (which is, in fact, the ultimate goal of our tactics) it's possible to include the caveat that we'll only sign a deal if the EMT is replaced.

I'm not sure how that will work with BH. Maybe it won't. But as I said, it's been done.

It's happened at other carriers.

If THEY get to the point where they really really really want a contract (which is, in fact, the ultimate goal of our tactics) it's possible to include the caveat that we'll only sign a deal if the EMT is replaced.

I'm not sure how that will work with BH. Maybe it won't. But as I said, it's been done.

The situation with NJs seem peculiar to me. First, do you guys have an amendable contract or has it expired and you're working on an extension? If amendable, does it ever expire?

Second, I'm not sure how this works in terms of the owners/card holders. You guys are employees of NJ I take it, but NJ does not own or lease the aircraft you operate. They are owned on a fractional basis by individuals who pay NJ to operate and maintain the airframes. At least that's what I believe the arrangement to be. I don't believe the owners are shareholders in NJ, as that entity is wholly owned by BH with it's own population of shareholders.

So, if you strike, the owners of the aircraft are directly impacted but they do not have a contract with the union, do they? Given that you are striking NJ and not the owners (or are you actually striking both?) why would they (the individual owners - not NJ) not find other crews to fly their airplanes, without the replacement pilots being considered to have crossed your line, given that the replacements are working for the individual owners and not NJ, the entity with whom you have the contract and the entity that is being struck.

Just seems to be more confusing a situation than with an entity having a labor contract who owns/leases equipment being operated by the labor under contract. Not to equate plumbers to pilots, but if a plumbing contractor hires union plumbers to work a building and the plumbers strike the contractor for higher wages, do they picket the building owner who hired the contractor or the contractor themselves? Seems like the building owner would move on to another contractor to get the work done.

I also don't know exactly what the owner's rights might be in the deal with NJ. I don't suppose they are at all involved in contract negotiations, are they?

My experience is with coal miners striking a mine. Ball bats, brass knuckles and shotgun kinds of activity but it seemed to be more clear. The owner of the mine actually held the union contract.

Anyway, just curious.

Contracts don't expire under the RLA, just become amendable. Both parties must maintain the status quo while in negotiations.

I believe it will take the first to conclude the second. It's all part of the same issue...

Latest resources

Back