• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Future pilot shortage...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm living proof that any tard can pass a commercial checkride.

The real challenge is getting your ATP, a type rating in something that requires one, and making a living in this brutal industry for 25 years.

Then you can have fun with a pent up, unsatisfied Mensa computer geek knocking your chosen career path.

All in fun Cynic, I can go all day this with debate.

Wow... it sounds like you guys are really upset that someone would point out that flying is easy and fun. I have flown professionally but I must confess, it was charter and freight. Not airline flying. Now that I think about it you guys are right. Seeing as how I have never flown an RJ I probably have no idea what I'm talking about.

In fact... lets just say ANY pilot that hasn't flown an RJ sucks.

Did you just change your profile to show you had an ATP? Hmmmmm.

I'm also a computer programmer with the NSA and the CIA and I'm awesome. I quit though because it was too damn easy. Any "tard" you know what I'm saying?

The real challenge is getting your ATP, a type rating in something that requires one, and making a living in this brutal industry for 25 years.

When I get the opportunity to upgrade I'll get back on here and let ya'll know if tards can get their ATP.

If I stay in this industry for 25 years, that will without a doubt be the most accurate proof that I am in fact, a tard and I'm too stupid to do anything else.

The real challenge is getting your ATP
ATP is a piece of cake, I did mine with a FAA inspector in a Grumman Tiger, fixed gear, single engine, fixed pitch prop. Took less than an hour. Did it so I would never have to take the written again and be able to put ATP on my resume.

Seems like the ATP was a bigger deal back then when we had to take our logbooks to the FSDO and have our flight hours verified before we could take the ATP written...But any tard could pencil whip a logbook.

When I get the opportunity to upgrade I'll get back on here and let ya'll know if tards can get their ATP.

If I stay in this industry for 25 years, that will without a doubt be the most accurate proof that I am in fact, a tard and I'm too stupid to do anything else.

Actually, no need to wait.........you already proved your a tard.

ATP is a piece of cake, I did mine with a FAA inspector in a Grumman Tiger, fixed gear, single engine, fixed pitch prop. Took less than an hour. Did it so I would never have to take the written again and be able to put ATP on my resume.

Getting an ATP is a single engine is like kissing your sister, and bragging to your friends you made out with a girl. YIP, I can see why you have spent your flying career at some run-down operator at Ypslianti, MI.

Last edited:
Getting an ATP is a single engine is like kissing your sister, and bragging to your friends you made out with a girl. YIP, I can see why you have spent your flying career at some run-down operator at Ypslianti, MI.
I am always high, high on my chosen profession, every day in this business a happy day. It goes back to the days of sitting in the Howard Johnson's in Belleville Michigan back in 1964. Listening to the Zantop pilots talk about their adventure in their C-46's. Having one of their pilots, 'Firecan Haddock" solo me in the C-172 at YIP in 1965. I am still living the dream, and cannot believe I have been so lucky to be where I am today. I guess there is not much of that anymore, particularly on this site. YIP is what you make of it, for a native Michigander who has lived all over the US I kinda like it. No hurricanes, no floods, a couple tornadoes once in while, and ice and snow. However, in Michigan ice and snow is not really a big deal like it is down south, they are equipped to handle it. The season change is something you really enjoy, unlike living in FL. where you go Ho Hum another beautiful day, so what. In Michigan, people call in sick on beautiful days. Flying out of YIP will make you one of the best instrument pilots in the country, YIP ranks up with SEA for the number of IFR days. In YIP you will learn the real meaning of clean airplane, deicing is a way of life you get really good at understanding holdover time. At YIP you will develop flying skills that allow you move onto your career destination, even if you do not care for the area like some guys. It gives them the resume fluff to move to their next job. We all pay our dues in some way; YIP is only one way, some do it in the military, some do it at the commuters. So some other people must have found YIP is an all right place to spend some time. How many major airports are there in the country where you can live 10 minutes from the parking lot on an acre of land for less than 100K? Where else can you still get one dollar fifty drafts at places like the Wedge? As I said at the start YIP is what you make of it, some people say it is OK, others do not like it here and do not apply. Simple choices. I have had a ball and think I am really lucky for the adventure I have had. BTW I suffer from the KYIP curse, my father was building B-24 bombers here 68 years ago when I was born, have worked in every building on the field, I have tried to escape many times, including 11 years in Uncle Sam's Navy, but it keeps calling me back.
You must work at Delta, right?
no that is where a couple of my buddies without college degrees and with no ATP's went.

Last edited:
Hey YIP, I've lived in Canton, to Ann Arbor. I flew out of DTW for the better part of 9 years. People don't believe me when I say I once had to de-ice 9 times in one day. Icing to thunderstorms. Low IFR is the norm. You don't have to sell me on the challenges of Midwest flying. (it's probably a piece of cake for Mensa president Cynic being a genius and all)

As far as KYIP goes, I spent a few hours milling around the Yankee Air Museum, and Connie's collection of then dilapidated flying museum aircraft (way old ratty looking dc-8s). The Zantop collection was even worse. Murray Air, ect...interesting group of operators there at KYIP. That place was stepping stone for many pilots, glad your happy you made it your final destination.

Latest resources

Back