• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Future pilot shortage...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey, at least they borrowed the money, you got it for free from me and everyone else who pays taxes.
And I have to say, with exceptions here and there, I haven't been impressed with most military pilots I have flown with. Some of the least disciplined pilots I have flown with were Air Force or Army pilots.
How come if it was for free, you did not take advantage of it? BTW Then you have not flown with many of the civy background pilots I have flown with, talk about not disciplined.

I started in the Air Force. We we're the best at what we had to do. But civilian flying is a different animal.

The best pilots i ever seen we're in the air force, the worst pilots i ever seen we're air force pilots flying civilian.

It will give politicians the perfect excuse to "offshore jobs" via cabotage. The MPL is the biggest threat since Ab Initio. Not only could there be foreign crews flying US domestic routes, the F/O will have a few hundred hours without a real pilot's license.
They will use Chinese pilots...wait, forgot that China is MASSIVELY understaffed and hiring foreigners.
They will use Indian pilots...wait, forgot that India is MASSIVELY understaffed and hiring foreigners.
They will use African pilots...wait, forgot that the Africa is MASSIVELY understaffed and hiring foreigners.
They will use Latin Amerivcan pilots...wait, forgot that Latin America is MASSIVELY understaffed and hiring foreigners.
So, where will these foreign pilots come from???

Furloughed American, United, NetJets, Midway, ATA, Aloha, Midwest, Independence
American will have all their pilots recalled and be hiring off the street this year.
UAL will have all their pilots recalled (they would have already if it wasn't for the merger) as soon as the merger details are finalized.
NetJets DOES have guys furloughed, and some will return (most will probably not return, as they will have another job they like better).
Many of the rest of the furloughees mentioned have other jobs, and many of them are in other aviation jobs and therefore already in the system. Some will return from overseas flying to fly back here (further increasing the MASSIVE overseas pilot shortage that is now occuring).

Yes, the 1500hr and atp rule which doesn't even go into effect for another 2 years, is nothing more then smoke and mirrors to appease the public. There will be tons of exceptions in there, I believe 4 year colleges are exempt. If fact, the pilot factories are already setting up programs to qualify their the students for rule exemption.
NO one is exempt from the ATP LAW! Could the LAW be changed? Theoretically, but it is NOT as easy as the FAA changing one of their rules.

Hahahahahaha. Wow.

If the airlines paid for training, they could be just as selective.
No, they could not, as there are not enough US residents at a high enough intelligence/physical level who would be willing to enter and complete flight training. They would have to lower the mental and physical qualification quite a bit below what the military is getting, to get enough bodies to fill the future seats.

And yet interviews are scheduled and classes are full...go figure.
Many recent regional classes were 1/2 full or less.

Near-term, the Flight/Duty/Rest rules that will be in effect prior to 1 Aug, will make a difference, especially at the Regionals who abuse their pilots.

cliff
GRB

And by free you mean they willingly offered to lay their lives on the line to protect yours...you ungrateful ass

Never asked them to...and if that is truly what they want to do, then stay in the military. That is the biggest guilt trip in the books. Military guys choose their careers like the rest of us chose ours. I will never feel like I owe them anything.

How come if it was for free, you did not take advantage of it? BTW Then you have not flown with many of the civy background pilots I have flown with, talk about not disciplined.

How about because I didn't care much for dropping bombs or playing war games? Just because it's free it doesn't mean it has to appeal to me.

I started in the Air Force. We we're the best at what we had to do. But civilian flying is a different animal.

The best pilots i ever seen we're in the air force, the worst pilots i ever seen we're air force pilots flying civilian.

I Agree 100%.

They will use Chinese pilots...wait, forgot that China is MASSIVELY understaffed and hiring foreigners.
They will use Indian pilots...wait, forgot that India is MASSIVELY understaffed and hiring foreigners.
They will use African pilots...wait, forgot that the Africa is MASSIVELY understaffed and hiring foreigners.
They will use Latin Amerivcan pilots...wait, forgot that Latin America is MASSIVELY understaffed and hiring foreigners.
So, where will these foreign pilots come from???

cliff
GRB

They will probably open up the doors first to Canadian and Mexican pilots due to the provisions in NAFTA that allow the movement of skilled workers if there is a demand. There is already a list that includes nurses, engineers etc... The US government would just have to add pilots to the list.

The new license conversion agreement between the FAA and Transport Canada now only takes 30 to 60 days waiting time and costs you $100 to convert your FAA ATP to a Canadian ATP or from a Canadian ATP to an FAA ATP. (very easy and inexpensive)

There are lots of young Canadian Pilots with ATP minimums flying up north in -30C temps who would just love to come down here to fly even for a regional.

Prior to Mexicana going under, they were making more than US pilots. And now, most of the Mexicana guys that still want to fly are already in the system.

As for the Canadians, there ARE a number of Canadian airlines, and there are the same number of foreign jobs available to them as there are to us. And, the Canadians are less scared to move or commute overseas, so there are less of them available to domestic flying. Currently, you must be a citizen or a legal resident to fly in the US. If the change it to allow Canadians and Mexicans, which I doubt they would do, there are no big numbers there to fly our planes. The big numbers WERE in the US, until the aviation industry priced themselves (using a combination of rising training/airplane ownership costs, and lowered pay for pilots) out of pilot candidates. The former pilot-trainees are mostly in non-aviation jobs and/or UAV jobs.

Latest resources

Back