• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Future pilot shortage...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
as per Avbug, there will never be a pilot shortage, only redefined competitive hiring minums, foggy mirror anyone? But there will be hiring booms and busts, and changing jobs is like musucal chairs, you never know where you will be when the music stops.

Last I heard less then 800 CPL issued to US pilots in 2010

Yes, you will see an outcry for more pilots to train and to get to the flight deck of an airliner faster than before. Congress will be pushed to act quickly, and we will see more international carriers in the US, but you're not going to see Aer Lingus flying the DC-NYC shuttle.
On the other hand, look at some of these international carriers who use. An ab initio training program, is there really enough data to say that it doesn't work. Look at Qantas, or Singapore, are they that much more unsafe than Delta or United?

I heard around 300 commercial certificates issued last year to US pilots. Foreign takes the rest of the number.

Are you interested in ocean front property in AZ? I'll give you a greatr deal! Your saying you heard only 6 US Citizens per state earned a Comm cert last year? The large aviation programs alone produce more than that in a given year.

I accepted recall because:

1) I hadn't had a flight student in 4 months

2) The corporate outfit I worked for (read: had JUST been hired to work for) had three bad accidents within 3 days that knocked out all three of their airplanes.

Obviously #1 means students are dwindling.

It's easy to say they'll just lower the standards but didn't Congress just enact legislation that requires ALL airline pilots to have an ATP?

When the airlines start screaming they can't get pilots (for what they want to pay), will there be a "provisional" ATP, MPL, cabotage, single-pilot or even pilot-less aircraft?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back