• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Furloughs at Delta and Northwest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oh I think that the next few years are going to be painful with or with out this JPWA. With it we will be taking NWA guys on over here before the SOC. If there is no JPWA things will get ugly.

Remember when the CMR MEC wanted the DAL guys to give up their numbers to come over there. Look at it this way. If the JPWA is voted down, there is no effective way to get the displaced NWA guys over to our certificate. Their only option is a flow down to Compass or a street. Knowing that if we vote this in they could come over to our Operating Certificate and keep their main line jobs, is a big plus. (Read good juju for all) If any one of them gets furloughed by us voting this down, I am sure that the 25 year olds will still have ill will towards each other in 30 years.
Suffice to say, even if you do not think that the JPWA is a great deal, there are many good parts of the deal. You must take the good with the bad. Wait until the financials start pouring out in a few weeks. WE are getting PAY RAISES and a an equity stake when others are loosing their jobs. Get some perspective of what world economic environment this was negotiated in.
Actions that you make today as a pilot group will effect the rest of your career here. Make sure you vote yes or no for the correct reasons. There is a lot in pay here that many have not even considered.

Last edited:
It's about senior F/Os upgrades indefinitely delayed. Junior Capt lineholders suddenly being on reserve etc. There is not going to be a mass movement to MSP or DTW. It'll be DL people that pay the price. 3-5 year fences should be the minimum requirement. Period.

If we have fences then MGMT cant move around equipment to best utilize them and become more efficient. It would negate the merger and make this almost pointless.

You may be getting more of our equipment in your bases anyway.

Last edited:
Without the JPWA Delta probably hires while NWA furloughs. That makes no sense and there is no reason be vindictive because the NWA guys got more. We need the standard to improve, for everyone.

Eventually new hires and flow through pilots come on board below all of us.

As long as we get a fair SLI and the NWA guys take what they can fairly hold ... good.

Putting off the inevitable for 6 to 18 months is not going to give anyone an edge in SLI.

We are a union.

P.S. Clippy - your point is what I wrote months ago based on load factors, revenue trends and demographics. The NWA pilots castrated me and called me a liar. Now it looks like again, the numbers tell the story.

ALPA acts like the RJ's are vanquished, but that isn't true. The numbers tell the story. We need to get as many of these guys as we can on the list & capture that flying. Otherwise our 30% raise will be a 100% pay cut as they grow into our DC9 and MD88 flying.

I'm going to keep raising this alarm until someone takes notice and executes the appropriate action items.

Last edited:
If the SLI is going to go through and look the same no matter what the vote is, then I have even LESS reason to vote for it. We already have LOA 19. There is essentially nothing added by the JPWA. Do we somehow lose LOA 19 if the JPWA doesn't pass?

LOA 19 was acceptable because it meant small raises and separate lists. The JPWA is not acceptable. If I now have to accept the risk of an unfavorable SLI, then I need to be compensated more for that risk. Minimal raises locked in until the next down turn is not enough. I could very well be stuck with it anyway, but I don't have to vote for it.

I'm going to think it over some more over my next trip, but I am finding it less and less likely that I will vote in favor. If I could be assured of keeping my relative seniority, I'd most likely be in. But short of that, it's gonna take more than increasing overtime pay.

Frankly, I would rather be put on the street than lose seniority and face a displacement.

I've read it, talked with reps and in a nutshell, I'm more concerned than ever we're giving the company free reign to F up our lives.

If we dont get the efficiencies and synergies of the merger the state of the economy+oil will F up our lives more. According to BOTH MECs we need this merger to ensure our lives dont get F'ed up. This is the lesser of the 2 evils. At least this way we have the opportunity of success and allowing the company to dig in. This will get done eventually and pushing it off will only waste valuable cash WE need.

Just because NWA and DAL aircraft get shuffled around doesnt necessarily mean anything is getting messed up. If anything it might give you more options. There is a reason why BOTH MECs Unanimously ratified this based on the Facts they were given. Could it have been better? Yes IF the entire industry wasnt on the verge of COLLAPSE.

If the SLI is going to go through and look the same no matter what the vote is, then I have even LESS reason to vote for it. We already have LOA 19. There is essentially nothing added by the JPWA. Do we somehow lose LOA 19 if the JPWA doesn't pass?

LOA 19 was acceptable because it meant small raises and separate lists. The JPWA is not acceptable. If I now have to accept the risk of an unfavorable SLI, then I need to be compensated more for that risk. Minimal raises locked in until the next down turn is not enough. I could very well be stuck with it anyway, but I don't have to vote for it.

I'm going to think it over some more over my next trip, but I am finding it less and less likely that I will vote in favor. If I could be assured of keeping my relative seniority, I'd most likely be in. But short of that, it's gonna take more than increasing overtime pay.

Frankly, I would rather be put on the street than lose seniority and face a displacement.

You obviously havent read anything :cool:

Tracom:

Your vote is your vote and you are thinking it over. I'm not trying to convince you.

But consider the framework of the SLI and the non prejudicial agreements. If you don't have them, PM me and I'll walk you through finding them. It should be a fair SLI, which should preserve your status quo.

Displacements are unlikely unless the 767/757 fleet shrinks.

Last edited:
Without the JPWA Delta probably hires while NWA furloughs. IF NWA had a surplus of pilots and the F-Bomb was dropped the numerous programs we have in place now would Easily take care of any surplus. I suspect many will leave as is anyway to get grandfathered in with the current NWA medical coverage in retirement as opposed to paying DOUBLE after DCC.;) That makes no sense and there is no reason be vindictive because the NWA guys got more. We need the standard to improve, for everyone.

Eventually new hires and flow through pilots come on board below all of us.

As long as we get a fair SLI and the NWA guys take what they can fairly hold ... good.

Putting off the inevitable for 6 to 18 months is not going to give anyone an edge in SLI.

We are a union.

P.S. Clippy - your point is what I wrote months ago based on load factors, revenue trends and demographics. The NWA pilots castrated me and called me a liar. Now it looks like again, the numbers tell the story.

ALPA acts like the RJ's are vanquished, but that isn't true. The numbers tell the story. We need to get as many of these guys as we can on the list & capture that flying. Otherwise our 30% raise will be a 100% pay cut as they grow into our DC9 and MD88 flying.

I'm going to keep raising this alarm until someone takes notice and executes the appropriate action items.

Great post !! :beer:

Latest resources

Back