• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Furloughs at Delta and Northwest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not that I want to start this debate, but you know of three. I can tell you of at least 20 guys that I know personally that are NWA drivers that live in ATL metro. Not to mention the 100's of pilots and FA's that live in FL and DFW that would like a shorter commute. You and I both know that there will be a greater movement to the Southern bases than to the Northern ones.The majority of DAL guys live in or near their bases(except NYC), is that really the case at NWA?
In reality it will not matter in five years. If there are fences it may take longer to realize the movement, but the fact remains that DTW and MSP DC-9 will probably remain the junior pieces of equipment no matter which way you slice this.
I myself will not bid MSP or DTW, unless it makes a commute from DFW very easy. From my friends who do it, it is about at difficult as DFW-ATL.

Dallas to MEM would be quick and easy. Also if some of the DC9s are moved to DAL bases wouldnt this argument be pointless? Or any of the NWA equipment for that matter. You guys act like planes arent going to get moved around thus moving people around the system whether you want to or not. DAL planes are sure to see NWA bases also.

I know of 3 DAL junior pilots on the 767, 2 in JFK and 1 in ATL that commute from MSP that would gladly trade the 767 line holder life style for a MSP dc-9 reserve schedule. QOL is more important than what plane you fly or what airline fly for

I AM A JUNIOR DELTA PILOT ON THE 767ER LIVING IN MSP AND BASED AT JFK. I WOULD NOT ACCEPT A POSITION AS A RESERVE DC9 PILOT IN MSP AND WOULD IN FACT CONSIDER LEAVING DELTA IF THAT WAS MY ONLY OPTION.
THE NEW YORK FLYING AND CREWS ARE AWESOME! I AM PLANNING ON MOVING TO THE NEW YORK AREA.
I JUST POLITELY TELL THE NORTHWEST PILOTS I HAVE NO ISSUES WITH THE MERGER BEING RESIDENT IN MSP. THAT WAY I COMMUTE IN PEACE. SO FAR THE NORTHWEST PEOPLE HAVE BEING DECENT TO ME AND I AM HAPPY TO SEE THEM GET PAY RAISES AND BETTER BENEFITS. I BELIEVE THAT THE EMPLOYEES OF THE NEW DELTA TO THE LAST MAN SHOULD BE HAPPY TO BE WITH DELTA OR THE MERGER IS NOT WORTHY OF ANY SUPPORT.
I PERSONALLY HAVE NOT SEEN ANY REASON TO BE HAPPY ABOUT THE MERGER. LOA19 IF I COULD HAVE VOTED I WOULD VOTE NO. THE NEW JOINT CONTRACT I HOPE IS BETTER. I BELIEVE WITHOUT A MERGER WE WOULD HAVE GOTTEN SOMETHING BETTER THAN THE CRAP LOA19 WHICH ONLY GIVES US 17%

The most junior Delta pilot today is happy to work for us. We hope it stays the same after the merger for everyone.

WE CAN THEN SAY THIS HAS WORKED OUT OKEY!

Last edited:
Come on! We all know that the delta debt is just a "paper" debt. :laugh:

Well at least 6.7 ba ba BILLION of it.

See ya!

Hi Steven:

Its no more of a paper loss than your calling your furlough, RETIREMENT!:laugh:

I was dead set on keeping ALPA on the property. That is until you began to chime in. Thanks for changing my mind and voting ALPA out. You deserve a medal.
Never said I take it for granted. As you pointed out I'm "training PSA pilots since I'm a J4J Capt." Looks like I'm taking advantage of it.
Who cares about these bids? All I know is I'll have a sweet line once I come over via J4J. Don't like it TUFF!
See ya!

See ya!

Hi Steven:

Its no more of a paper loss than your calling your furlough, RETIREMENT!:laugh:

I was dead set on keeping ALPA on the property. That is until you began to chime in. Thanks for changing my mind and voting ALPA out. You deserve a medal.
Never said I take it for granted. As you pointed out I'm "training PSA pilots since I'm a J4J Capt." Looks like I'm taking advantage of it.
Who cares about these bids? All I know is I'll have a sweet line once I come over via J4J. Don't like it TUFF!
See ya!

Oh no, there will be a lot of your planes moved around to our bases. DAL sees your domestic feed as dead. They are buying you for the Firth Freedom rights in the Far East. You domestic feed will be used to patch up holes in our system. What buying you allows our route guys to do is this. It allows them to go ahead with the five/ten year plan today. They will have the airframes to do the lift now, and not add to the debt. NWA's debt is cheap for what they are getting. Now granted your airframes will be replaced over time, but it is a good fix for the near term. We will not destroy MSP, DTW or MEM, but rather shift RJ's and narrow body lift around to fill in the gaps.
I see the number of RJ's in NYC, and ATL decreasing, but remember this. There is only so much DAL can bring to ATL. We are basically maxed out on ramp space as is. So in essence your argument holds some water, but not all that you think. Now LAX, that is a different story all together. My bet is to see a decent amount of expansion out there in the next few years. Both in to Mexico, the Western US, the far East and to the Southern Pacific. It is DAL's intent to remake that hub. When those guys spoke to us over a year ago they stated that there were big plans out there, but we just did not have the lift or lift on order to do it in the near term. Now with this merger we do.
You will probably see 767's in MSP and DTW, and 330 and 744's in LAX, ATL and NYC within six months of DCC. I would expect a sizable aircraft order shortly after this is all finalized, but it truly depends on the credit market. If DAL's widely held rating is any indication, the market is beginning to realize that this airline will have some serious teeth. People are buying in to DAL now that this plan is seeing the light of day. Many believe that in the next few years our value will rise. I agree with that. If anyone has a chance to weather this economic storm it is DAL/NWA.

See ya!

Hi Steven.
Its the same thing as you calling your furluogh, retirement!:laugh:

Don't worry though Steven, some day you might be able to get that long sought after education.
Til then, keep on J4J'ing!
Sing it Steven, sing it loud......
S - S - S - S - Staple!

See ya.

BTW, did you ever get your letterman ring back from Marty?

Last edited:
It is funny to hear a junior guy thinks he deserves and is entitled to the world... To say that you would leave DAL if you have to fly a DC9 is disingenuous at best. Are you a pilot? Do you REALLY like flying? Your comments show differently....

I AM A JUNIOR DELTA PILOT ON THE 767ER LIVING IN MSP AND BASED AT JFK. I WOULD NOT ACCEPT A POSITION AS A RESERVE DC9 PILOT IN MSP AND WOULD IN FACT CONSIDER LEAVING DELTA IF THAT WAS MY ONLY OPTION.
THE NEW YORK FLYING AND CREWS ARE AWESOME! I AM PLANNING ON MOVING TO THE NEW YORK AREA.
I JUST POLITELY TELL THE NORTHWEST PILOTS I HAVE NO ISSUES WITH THE MERGER BEING RESIDENT IN MSP. THAT WAY I COMMUTE IN PEACE. SO FAR THE NORTHWEST PEOPLE HAVE BEING DECENT TO ME AND I AM HAPPY TO SEE THEM GET PAY RAISES AND BETTER BENEFITS. I BELIEVE THAT THE EMPLOYEES OF THE NEW DELTA TO THE LAST MAN SHOULD BE HAPPY TO BE WITH DELTA OR THE MERGER IS NOT WORTHY OF ANY SUPPORT.
I PERSONALLY HAVE NOT SEEN ANY REASON TO BE HAPPY ABOUT THE MERGER. LOA19 IF I COULD HAVE VOTED I WOULD VOTE NO. THE NEW JOINT CONTRACT I HOPE IS BETTER. I BELIEVE WITHOUT A MERGER WE WOULD HAVE GOTTEN SOMETHING BETTER THAN THE CRAP LOA19 WHICH ONLY GIVES US 17%

The most junior Delta pilot today is happy to work for us. We hope it stays the same after the merger for everyone.

It is funny to hear how a junior guy think he deserves and is entitled to the world... To say that you would leave DAL if you have to fly a DC9 is disingenuous at best. Are you a pilot? Do you REALLY like flying planes? Your comments show different..

Latest resources

Back