• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Furloughs at Delta and Northwest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It basically comes down to this. Too little pay for too long a time. Throw in the possibility of going backwards in seniority, and it looks even less appealing.

I completely understand the NW enthusiasm, but I would like to see them vote it down, too. I have no problem with parity, and no problem w/ a relative seniority list.

Yes, times are tough and oil is high. But I'm not going to vote for what I believe is a sub standard contract just because it is the easy thing to do or because there is no better offer right now. Just because it is the best offer, doesn't make it right.

I am still undecided, just trying to offer up a different view. Yes, the pay is better under the JPWA, but overall, it still isn't good. Not expecting contract 2000 (right now), but if there are not significant improvements soon, then this line of work is not worth it to me. Waiting until 2012 for the hope that the next offer will be reasonable is concerning.

Waiting until I'm 50 and too tired/bitter to walk is not an option either.

Just one opinion, and I may still vote yes. Just thinking out loud.

All valid points, however you wont and cant be displaced the way our MECs set this up. As far as pay goes neither company was set to get pay raises this year anyway and i know DAL would have been starting negotiations soon (i think next year, correct me if i am wrong) but in all honesty its probably good you arent trying to negotiate next year with the economy and industry heading the way it is. Oil over $145 today WTF :eek: . This agreement allows us to join up, get some gains and start building our warchest while the company digs in, reaches the efficiencies it thinks it can get. That way when the time comes to get a new contract the company is set and we can get the industry leading contract. The best chance we have at EVER seeing an industry leading contract is to combine as a pilot group and start working together now. Pushing this off will get us the same SLI but further divide us as a pilot group.

thanks for your views its nice to have a decent debate instead of the common flames we often see on here.

No, I would rather be on the street than be commuting to reserve on the 9 in Detroit. It only doesn't make sense if you equate any employment with good employment.

I know lots of guys are just "happy to have a job", but I'm not one of them. I will go do something else before I start looking for crash pads at one of the NW bases.

Not trying to throw darts, just stating fact. Everyont has different priorities.

You need to understand that under the JPWA and LOAs it wont be possible for you to get displaced. Read the documentation it should answer all your questions. Again you wont be Displaced. You will never see a NWA DC9 unless you choose to do so.

The DAL training section stinks, and there are a few other stinkers in there as well, like only a $400 allowance for new uniforms.

Nu
That's $400 more than the Delta pilots got. We get no uniform allowance and you get a free year of travel that we had to pay $50 to enjoy, FWIW. Those who came from ASA & CMR got to pay $100 for travel bennies.

Anyone know when buddy pass riders can standby for each other's airline? Trying to get a friend here from MNL.

Last edited:
That's $400 more than the Delta pilots got. We get no uniform allowance and you get a free year of travel that we had to pay $50 to enjoy, FWIW. Those who came from ASA & CMR got to pay $100 for travel bennies.

Anyone know when buddy pass riders can standby for each other's airline? Trying to get a friend here from MNL.

The only reason why we are getting 400 is because we have all already paid for our uniforms. We dont get free uniforms as newhires here either. So that 400 is replacement costs for the expenses we had to pay for our NWA uniforms.

Those who came from ASA & CMR got to pay $100 for travel bennies.

You had to pay again?:rolleyes: Why do we accept this starting all over again including paying a fee that was already paid? I guarantee you that an executive that goes from ASA or CMR to DAL doesn't pay again...We have really shot ourselves in the foot...

This might have been answered in one of the previous post (19 pages...) but what did NWA come away with as far as furlough protections? Did they get the same deal as DAL --- no furloughs as a result of a merger for 24 months after DOCC?? Do NWA guys have any protections PRIOR to the merger being completed?

This might have been answered in one of the previous post (19 pages...) but what did NWA come away with as far as furlough protections? Did they get the same deal as DAL --- no furloughs as a result of a merger for 24 months after DOCC?? Do NWA guys have any protections PRIOR to the merger being completed?

Are you NWA or DAL? If NWA go to the Mergerwebsite via the alpa page it has EVERY document for the merger. NWA pilots have the No furlough clause "based on the merger" as well as a LOA signed recently with Mgmt that says no layoffs as a result of the announced cutbacks. Both DAL and NWA have adopted early out programs i believe. NWA has a number of plans available and a number of incentives to get the over 50 guys to bail.

You had to pay again?:rolleyes: Why do we accept this starting all over again including paying a fee that was already paid? I guarantee you that an executive that goes from ASA or CMR to DAL doesn't pay again...We have really shot ourselves in the foot...
You don't have to accept it. Nobody put a gun to anybody's head and forced them to apply to Delta. Though, the ASA and Comair guys I know would gladly pay the extra $50 rather than spend the rest of their careers as subcontractors.

Latest resources

Back