• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Freedom Pilots Loading Bags

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You also have to wonder if those rampers really want pilots "helping out." Management might actually staff that base with enough workers to get planes out on time if the planes were all going out late.

If the odd pilot goes back there and starts throwing bags, it masks what is an obvious problem. Call your times as they are, and do your job the best you can, but do -your- job.

Also: stop it. It's not your job. You're doing someone else's job. Someone else who doesn't have a job because you're doing it... for free.

Golly gee, it also makes you wonder if this is FI BS.

WOW...... heaven forbid the uniform get dirty!!!! maybe you should work out a little it will reduce the risk of injury as well... peoples selfishness amazes me... liberal pansies.... i HATE pilots....

Hey, I'm a "liberal" and I still help straighten the cabin and occasionally move carry-ons when the situation requires it.

In case anyone hadn't noticed, we're all in a fight for our jobs. The glory days of Pan Am are gone, and they ain't coming back, so we can kiss the dream of people bowing and scraping because you wear the stripes goodbye. If taking two minutes of your precious time to cross seatbelts with the FA and improve the appearance of the cabin, or pull a few carry-ons through the jet bridge door on your way back from the post-flight is too demeaning, then so be it. You don't hear the Southwest guys complaining.

Us fractional peoples have no problem loading bags, and all sorts of crap, nor do we have any problem cleaning a cabin including vacuuming the floor or wiping the crap oozing from the engine cowls... but of course we do all get paid proper money for what we do.

There is more to being a professional pilot than pretending you are a demi god in your clapped out crj/erj you know! I commend the guys for helping load the bags, and a I sure bet the ground crew appreciated the help.

Us fractional peoples have no problem loading bags, and all sorts of crap, nor do we have any problem cleaning a cabin including vacuuming the floor or wiping the crap oozing from the engine cowls... but of course we do all get paid proper money for what we do.

There is more to being a professional pilot than pretending you are a demi god in your clapped out crj/erj you know! I commend the guys for helping load the bags, and a I sure bet the ground crew appreciated the help.

The key phrase here is "get paid proper money for what we do." I wouldn't throw bags at a regional EVER! Not because I have an attitude, but because I know that if I get hurt, management will then say it wasn't my job and deny me oji. I will then have to fight for oji. In the mean time I will not have the money to pay my bills. It does me no good to win the fight after I have lost my house. I too am at a frac, and I gladly go the extra mile because I know management won't throw me under the bus! But you are clueless to think a regional is anything like that.

This used to be a respectable career. Throwing bags is degrading to our profession just like cleaning the cabin is. I put pushing wheelchairs on the same level. If we want to get paid like professionals, we need to start acting like professionals. We wear suits to work. Our uniform is not appropriate to be throwing bags on the ramp. On top of that, there is the liability issue that was just brought up. These pilots work for Mesa though so I take it they do not care about degrading our profession (or sh!tty job that it's turned into).

I used to work the ramp for SWA. I cannot tell you how many times flight crews would help us out. They might not hop in the bin but they'd grab the gate checks or if it was just two rampers working the flight they'd toss a few bags. What's not professional about customer service? They are the ones responsible for your paycheck. The mentality of I don't have to lift a finger is wrong. I agree and respect the injury component and yes there are contractual issues. But if they are really swamped on the ramp, most won't mind. In fact they'll probably be grateful.

However, having worked the ramp I am not afraid to help the guys and gals - especially when they're busting their ass. It's not beneath me because unlike some - I care enough to keep the Customer coming back and have a job. It is okay to get out of the cockpit and help out. Bring up the stroller if they are busy or help the guys and gals with the belts if you're not busy. It only takes a second. But to say it's unprofessional? Please! It has nothing to do with dragging down the industry.

I used to work the ramp for SWA. I cannot tell you how many times flight crews would help us out. They might not hop in the bin but they'd grab the gate checks or if it was just two rampers working the flight they'd toss a few bags. What's not professional about customer service? They are the ones responsible for your paycheck. The mentality of I don't have to lift a finger is wrong. I agree and respect the injury component and yes there are contractual issues. But if they are really swamped on the ramp, most won't mind. In fact they'll probably be grateful.

However, having worked the ramp I am not afraid to help the guys and gals - especially when they're busting their ass. It's not beneath me because unlike some - I care enough to keep the Customer coming back and have a job. It is okay to get out of the cockpit and help out. Bring up the stroller if they are busy or help the guys and gals with the belts if you're not busy. It only takes a second. But to say it's unprofessional? Please! It has nothing to do with dragging down the industry.

Except for a city like Philly, where you would be shot dead for such an offense, before they all went back to taking naps and doing shots of Cheez Whiz.

Instead of loading bags they could have been thoroughly cleaning the cabin. That way they could prepare for future positions with Jet Blue... Practice makes perfect... Actually, that does show good initiative on their part.

Hockey Pilot: Did you tell everyone at your JetBlue interview that you were above cleaning and pushing wheelchairs? Hope NW is treating you well.

This may just be at my airline but we have swing ramps so passengers don't have to climb up the stairs to the Airplane. I was recently told in Recurrent Ground Training that if you walk up to the aircraft and the bottom of the swing ramp is up we are not to touch it. It is not that we are not capable of doing it but we have not been trained and if something were to happen to you or the aircraft you would be responsible for performing a job you are not trained to do.

Also and correct me if I am wrong (which on FI I am sure everyone will) during contract negotiations we were told that we had to enforce everything in the contract because if we let certain this slid because we thought they were no big deal that after a while they would become the understood definition of that part of the contract.

If the company wants us to help with aircraft cleaning and bags on quick turns then they need to negotiate in the contract and train us to do it. They will never do it because some will do it for free and the cost would not be worth it to the company.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back