• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Freedom Pilots Loading Bags

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You guys are going about it all wrong, hell, where else can you work and starve your fat ass larded bodies into lean powerful and fit physiques based on throwing 50lb bags into the cargo hold and lack of $money that this company pays.

I am not trained on how to throw bags, push wheel chairs, nor clean the airplane. It is not part of my job description, and I don't get paid more money to do it. Therefore I never do it, if the flight leaves late because of bags, than I call ops and tell them the reason, that way perhaps they can fix the problem.

I am not trained on how to throw bags, push wheel chairs, nor clean the airplane. It is not part of my job description, and I don't get paid more money to do it. Therefore I never do it, if the flight leaves late because of bags, than I call ops and tell them the reason, that way perhaps they can fix the problem.

And yet, if you ever get an interview at a better company, you'll fall all over yourself telling a prospective employer how much you love customers and how you "went the extra mile" to go above and beyond your basic job description . . .

:rolleyes:

If you can fly an airplane you should be able to help with a little cleaning or handling bags without training.

NO. Let's just expand on that thought for a second. There are a LOT of flight attendants that will tell you outright here at XJT that they don't want your help cleaning because they know what they're doing. Take it one step farther: if you just go "Set up the galley" for them, do you not think they'd object? You don't know where they want stuff to go.

How about bags? You don't know what order they want stuff in - maybe you put the gate-checks in first but the crews want them to go in last. Were you counting the bags properly for the count whne you put them in? What about the ones already in there? How do you know the final total bag count?

Push a wheelchair? In this day of liability? What happens if you don't know how to use the wheel brake locks or what if they fail?

So why not just allow people to "help out" your job? Reminds me of the FO's who want to start APU's, fill out logbooks, call Mx, order fuel, commence boarding, etc, just to "help out the captain." Thanks but no thanks.

People who want to "help out" other people's jobs is like mowing your neighbor's yard. "Hey it's getting long and I just want to help out." You're not helping - this is my yard - don't mow my ********************."

NO. Let's just expand on that thought for a second. There are a LOT of flight attendants that will tell you outright here at XJT that they don't want your help cleaning because they know what they're doing. Take it one step farther: if you just go "Set up the galley" for them, do you not think they'd object? You don't know where they want stuff to go.

How about bags? You don't know what order they want stuff in - maybe you put the gate-checks in first but the crews want them to go in last. Were you counting the bags properly for the count whne you put them in? What about the ones already in there? How do you know the final total bag count?

Push a wheelchair? In this day of liability? What happens if you don't know how to use the wheel brake locks or what if they fail?

So why not just allow people to "help out" your job? Reminds me of the FO's who want to start APU's, fill out logbooks, call Mx, order fuel, commence boarding, etc, just to "help out the captain." Thanks but no thanks.

People who want to "help out" other people's jobs is like mowing your neighbor's yard. "Hey it's getting long and I just want to help out." You're not helping - this is my yard - don't mow my ********************."

Dammit, I hate it when you make sense. Point taken.

And yet, if you ever get an interview at a better company, you'll fall all over yourself telling a prospective employer how much you love customers and how you "went the extra mile" to go above and beyond your basic job description . . .

:rolleyes:

Actually, no, I've never done that in an interview. If the job is contingent on me doing someone else's job, then I don't want it.

I agree with most of your post, but what exactly is wrong with the FO starting up the APU? When I was a CRJ CA, I hated it when I got to the airplane and the FO had been sitting there for 10 minutes in the sweltering heat with no air hooked up and hadn't started the APU. Is it because he was scared of guys like you yelling at him for it? The kid knows how to push a couple of buttons to start the APU, you know.

I cannot believe some of you people are either too good or too proud to provide good customer service to your passengers when others have failed them...and are hiding behind the weak veils of "I wasn't trained for that" or "Its too much of a liability".

You shouldn't be expected to do somebody else's job all the time...but doing a good thing for somebody every once in a while? Most people trip over themselves to do those things if it makes the difference between them making their commute home or not...

Then again I was one of those FOs that separated the release, programmed the FMS, started the APU, did the acceptance checks, told the fueler to slightly lower our order when I knew they chronically overfueled us and we were expecting a jumpseater, bought the crew coffee the first morning of those early shows and yes, occasionally tossed a gate-checked bag or pushed an old woman up a jetway in a wheelchair.

Funny...nobody ever told me I was demeaning the airline pilot profession, stepping beyond my responsibility, or doing my peers a disservice.

I cannot believe some of you people are either too good or too proud to provide good customer service to your passengers when others have failed them...and are hiding behind the weak veils of "I wasn't trained for that" or "Its too much of a liability".

You shouldn't be expected to do somebody else's job all the time...but doing a good thing for somebody every once in a while? Most people trip over themselves to do those things if it makes the difference between them making their commute home or not...

Then again I was one of those FOs that separated the release, programmed the FMS, started the APU, did the acceptance checks, told the fueler to slightly lower our order when I knew they chronically overfueled us and we were expecting a jumpseater, bought the crew coffee the first morning of those early shows and yes, occasionally tossed a gate-checked bag or pushed an old woman up a jetway in a wheelchair.

Funny...nobody ever told me I was demeaning the airline pilot profession, stepping beyond my responsibility, or doing my peers a disservice.

And where does it stop? Do you fuel your own airplane? Do you generate the releases? Do you provide your own ATC clearances and separation? Do you help do the payroll? Do you take and make reservations? Maybe you can really be cool and dump the lavs!

Maybe your are practicing that 3 year old kid behavior of "Hey Mom and everone else, LOOK AT ME!"

Carry on Dude! J.O. needs a whole army of guys like you! Meanwhile, the ramper is laughing his arse off when he sees that you will do his job--you have been well trained but misguided! Maybe you should stay away from the expresso at Starbucks!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back