• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Freedom Pilots Loading Bags

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You also have to wonder if those rampers really want pilots "helping out." Management might actually staff that base with enough workers to get planes out on time if the planes were all going out late.

If the odd pilot goes back there and starts throwing bags, it masks what is an obvious problem. Call your times as they are, and do your job the best you can, but do -your- job.

Also: stop it. It's not your job. You're doing someone else's job. Someone else who doesn't have a job because you're doing it... for free.

Wisky pilots used to throw bags to stay on time till management sent a letter out IE injury lack of training in throwing bags.

This used to be a respectable career. Throwing bags is degrading to our profession just like cleaning the cabin is. I put pushing wheelchairs on the same level. If we want to get paid like professionals, we need to start acting like professionals. We wear suits to work. Our uniform is not appropriate to be throwing bags on the ramp. On top of that, there is the liability issue that was just brought up. These pilots work for Mesa though so I take it they do not care about degrading our profession (or sh!tty job that it's turned into).
It's not the same job it used to be and refusing to push a wheelchair or grab a bag isn't going to bring it back. It's permanently changed and those remaining either adapt or get out.

There is no other profession in the history of labor that has been able to recapture the scale of losses that the piloting profession has endured. You have seen the high water mark of airline pilot wages and they aren't coming back. You work in an industry that has no shame in bankruptcy and could care less whether workers or customers stay or go. The baggage of being a legacy airline makes scuttling the whole thing and starting afresh with all new-hires and a bunch of easy-credit Airbuses very enticing.

I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, but may not be willing to accept.

Last edited:
I non-reved on Freedom Flt 6211 (JFK-CVG) a few days ago and during boarding BOTH the CPT & FO left the flight deck and started loading bags.

So did you get out on time?

Last edited:
This used to be a respectable career. Throwing bags is degrading to our profession just like cleaning the cabin is. I put pushing wheelchairs on the same level. If we want to get paid like professionals, we need to start acting like professionals. We wear suits to work. Our uniform is not appropriate to be throwing bags on the ramp. On top of that, there is the liability issue that was just brought up. These pilots work for Mesa though so I take it they do not care about degrading our profession (or sh!tty job that it's turned into).

YGBSM!

You do realize you work in a service industry, don't you?

Doing it all the time is one thing...but helping the FA clean the cabin on a tight turn, or tossing a few bags to make your commute home, or helping get passengers their carry-on bags after they've been waiting 10 minutes for the rampers to show up doesn't "demean the profession" in any way.

Damn I hate the phrase "that's not my job"...:uzi:

YGBSM!

You do realize you work in a service industry, don't you?

Doing it all the time is one thing...but helping the FA clean the cabin on a tight turn, or tossing a few bags to make your commute home, or helping get passengers their carry-on bags after they've been waiting 10 minutes for the rampers to show up doesn't "demean the profession" in any way.

Damn I hate the phrase "that's not my job"...:uzi:

I don't know how your airline works, but my airline only pays me "block out" to "block in". If I push a wheelchair, help clean the cabin, or load bags, I am doing it on my own time. Not only that, I am at risk of getting injured or getting my uniform dirty that the company will not pay to have cleaned. If the company wants me working between flights, they can pay me between flights. That's not my job because I am getting paid $0.00/hour between flights.

Last edited:
The F8 Pilots really can careless about what happiness with this whole Delta mess.

So if they can careless, they can, which means they aren't at the limit of caring less for this whole Delta mess. Which makes no sense. Maybe you meant they couldn't care less...

I don't know how your airline works, but my airline only pays me "block out" to "block in". If I push a wheelchair, help clean the cabin, or load bags, I am doing it on my own time. Not only that, I am at risk of getting injured or getting my uniform dirty that the company will not pay to have cleaned. If the company wants me working between flights, they can pay me between flights. That's not my job because I am getting paid $0.00/hour between flights.

I don't work for an airline anymore, but when I was at AWAC I got paid the same way, not counting trip and duty rigs which rarely were worth more than a nickel or two per day.

It never stopped me from throwing a few bags when we were late or rampers nowhere to be found, never stopped me from unloading bags in the same circumstance, never stopped me from pushing the occasional wheelchair and never stopped me from helping the FAs clean the cabin. Guess as a former ramper I wasn't too good or proud as a pilot to do those things to help myself and my passengers out. Most folks even looked me in the eye and said "Thank you" because they KNEW it "wasn't my job" to do those things yet I did them anyway.

As I indicated before, I don't think you fully realize you work in a service industry...

I don't work for an airline anymore, but when I was at AWAC I got paid the same way, not counting trip and duty rigs which rarely were worth more than a nickel or two per day.

It never stopped me from throwing a few bags when we were late or rampers nowhere to be found, never stopped me from unloading bags in the same circumstance, never stopped me from pushing the occasional wheelchair and never stopped me from helping the FAs clean the cabin. Guess as a former ramper I wasn't too good or proud as a pilot to do those things to help myself and my passengers out. Most folks even looked me in the eye and said "Thank you" because they KNEW it "wasn't my job" to do those things yet I did them anyway.

As I indicated before, I don't think you fully realize you work in a service industry...

Agree to disagree. That being said, I believe I work in the transportation industry. I do not get discounts at restaurants when they have their "service industry" nights therefore I don't believe I am in the service industry.

WOW...... heaven forbid the uniform get dirty!!!! maybe you should work out a little it will reduce the risk of injury as well... peoples selfishness amazes me... liberal pansies.... i HATE pilots....

Latest resources

Back