• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Freedom Pilots Loading Bags

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
GUYS AT FREEDOM DO NOT LOAD ANY BAGS...YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED...WE had a pilot (Mike A) doing that a few years back on the BEECH and he hurt his back and has not been able to get a medical to fly since and has undergone countless operations!! Mesa has done everything they could to get out of paying this guy anything and he can not work anymore. They pointed out first thing in the GOM it is not a duty of the pilots and hence they are not responsible for what happens if you do this!! Do what you want but it is not the crews responsibility that the company or their codeshares are too damn cheap to have proper staffing!!!

I would be willing to bet that these would be the same guys who say they don't have time to read all the notams, or who don't have their charts out and are not completely familiar with their routing should the FMS fail, or who haven't completely reviewed the weather, etc.

Just a thought: are you doing your own job to the best of your ability first and foremost? That is the ultimate service you can give your passengers. I know when I'm a passenger, I know exactly what I want my pilots doing, and it sure ain't throwing bags!

I'm all for helping prepare an originating aircraft, or helping flight attendants in any way possible when help is needed. It's courteous and the right thing to do whether it's "your job" or not.

BUT, does it scare you a little bit to think that by helping regularly load 50-60 bags to be on time that you may be digging yourselves into something that was once the "courteous and right thing" , has now become an expectation and a duty so that management can get the most bang for their buck...ha...forget it!

If the company wants us to help with aircraft cleaning and bags on quick turns then they need to negotiate in the contract and train us to do it. They will never do it because some will do it for free and the cost would not be worth it to the company.

If you can fly an airplane you should be able to help with a little cleaning or handling bags without training.

So remember, if you injure yourself in the fitness center at the Amerisuites showing off for the new FA, you might be putting your job at risk. You're better off to run off and leave her to cross seat belts and maybe send the van back for her. She'll understand. You're a PROFESSIONAL.

If you can fly an airplane you should be able to help with a little cleaning or handling bags without training.

That might be the mantra from 30-40 years ago, he!! maybe even 15. But as pointed out earlier in the discussion, should and shall are way off in this legal world we live in. See a few posts back about the Mesa Beech guy that threw out his back and mgt claimed he wasn't performing correct duties which ultimately screwed him. I have no problem handling bags or getting duty; it's downright fun sometimes! But I won't do it, because I need to protect myself and my family. This is unfortunate but this is the mode of thinking nowdays.

Leading by example is part of the job! I actually enjoy talking with customers, handing them there bags, and even pushing a wheelchair up a steep jetway. I don't have to do it, but I enjoy it.

VV

Leading by example is part of the job! I actually enjoy talking with customers, handing them there bags, and even pushing a wheelchair up a steep jetway. I don't have to do it, but I enjoy it.

VV

Who's running the preflight checks? Maybe you missed your calling. Leading by example is part of the job! Most of your passengers would probably prefer to see their flight crew being diligent, disciplined, and professional--and in the flight deck!

I would have great concern as a passenger seeing a pilot loading the bags and then hopping in the cockpit to fly the flight. Who's minding the store?

What are you trying to prove? It sure isn't Leadership by Example as your example is not one most would want to follow.

I non-reved on Freedom Flt 6211 (JFK-CVG) a few days ago and during boarding BOTH the CPT & FO left the flight deck and started loading bags.

Is this now a required flight crew duty over at Freedom?
I say "good for them" for doing anything it takes...

This used to be a respectable career. Throwing bags is degrading to our profession just like cleaning the cabin is. I put pushing wheelchairs on the same level. If we want to get paid like professionals, we need to start acting like professionals. We wear suits to work. Our uniform is not appropriate to be throwing bags on the ramp. On top of that, there is the liability issue that was just brought up. These pilots work for Mesa though so I take it they do not care about degrading our profession (or sh!tty job that it's turned into).
You don't remember your history very well...
Ask a WN driver if he agrees...or how things were done "back in the day." Is a charter/frac guy "degrading" the profession when they load bags? Get over yourself...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back