• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Freedom Pilots Loading Bags

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If the company wants us to help with aircraft cleaning and bags on quick turns then they need to negotiate in the contract and train us to do it.
You need "training" to pull trash or cross a seatbelt? And FA's are the stupid ones?

So FA's shouldn't get your trash bag for the flight deck, get you a soda, snack, etc b/c that's not in THEIR job description?

Get over yourself...you're not that important. Trust me...

So aside from the injury/OSHA issues, who is minding the store with a running APU and plane full of people? Who are they gonna hang when something catches fire and both pilots are out throwing bags?

A little surprised no one has mentioned this yet.

With most everyone trying to apply to be on the NetJets/Options/Flexjet (insert fractional here) kick, perhaps you realize they do it all as well. Cleaning, catering, cleaning up after the 4 year old snot that dumped grape juice all over the carpet because the parents can afford to charter an airplane so they dont have to. Sure the pay might be slightly higher, after being in the 135 world as some of you have been, and listening to some of their pilots, grass ain't always greener.

Point is, throwing bags, probably not the most advisablet thing to do. I'll run a valet down if it gets past our crack delta agents in atl, but that's about it. Cleaning the cabin and tidying up? Just because we sit up front, doesnt mean we're above helping our flight attendant(s).

This thread has gotten slightly out of control. Yes, we need uphold our profession, but if it boils down to cleaning the cabin? We have MUCH bigger fish to fry in the "how we uphold our profession" fight. Let those that get paid to work outside the plane, work outside the plane. that can be done while boarding.

Don't get injured on the job, use some common sense, but lose the elitest attitude. Makes me f**** sick.

You need "training" to pull trash or cross a seatbelt? And FA's are the stupid ones?

So FA's shouldn't get your trash bag for the flight deck, get you a soda, snack, etc b/c that's not in THEIR job description?

Get over yourself...you're not that important. Trust me...

First off who said FA's are stupid? Second our FA's don't clean the cabin. We have cabin services for that. Do what you want but I am busy enough up front making sure everything is ready for a safe on time departure.

That being said if I am leaving the airplane and a passenger is waiting for a pink tag that is about to be sent to baggage claim I will go grab it for him.

Beyond that ask one of your chief pilot's if they want you loading bags. I am sure you will here the same reasons from them as to why this is a bad idea.

and on your way out if you see a opossum try and kill it. It's not a pet.

Jackie Moon

With most everyone trying to apply to be on the NetJets/Options/Flexjet (insert fractional here) kick, perhaps you realize they do it all as well. Cleaning, catering, cleaning up after the 4 year old snot that dumped grape juice all over the carpet because the parents can afford to charter an airplane so they dont have to. Sure the pay might be slightly higher, after being in the 135 world as some of you have been, and listening to some of their pilots, grass ain't always greener.

Point is, throwing bags, probably not the most advisablet thing to do. I'll run a valet down if it gets past our crack delta agents in atl, but that's about it. Cleaning the cabin and tidying up? Just because we sit up front, doesnt mean we're above helping our flight attendant(s).

This thread has gotten slightly out of control. Yes, we need uphold our profession, but if it boils down to cleaning the cabin? We have MUCH bigger fish to fry in the "how we uphold our profession" fight. Let those that get paid to work outside the plane, work outside the plane. that can be done while boarding.

Don't get injured on the job, use some common sense, but lose the elitest attitude. Makes me f**** sick.

I was just about to bring that up. I understand the liability/injury issue and think that's the correct reason for not loading bags in general. However, helping cross the belts and what have you during tight turns is something I often do if I have time. I don't see what the problem is there.

I used to work the ramp for SWA. I cannot tell you how many times flight crews would help us out. They might not hop in the bin but they'd grab the gate checks or if it was just two rampers working the flight they'd toss a few bags. What's not professional about customer service? They are the ones responsible for your paycheck. The mentality of I don't have to lift a finger is wrong. I agree and respect the injury component and yes there are contractual issues. But if they are really swamped on the ramp, most won't mind. In fact they'll probably be grateful.

However, having worked the ramp I am not afraid to help the guys and gals - especially when they're busting their ass. It's not beneath me because unlike some - I care enough to keep the Customer coming back and have a job. It is okay to get out of the cockpit and help out. Bring up the stroller if they are busy or help the guys and gals with the belts if you're not busy. It only takes a second. But to say it's unprofessional? Please! It has nothing to do with dragging down the industry.
I've been very impressed with SWA crews as well. I've also seen them bring down gate checked strollers and car seats (not heavy lifting, but hey, you just saved one of your rampees 3 minutes).

SWA runs one of the tightest schedules in the industry, and they have a happy, motivated work force that's willing to go the extra mile. Are they "whores"? Quite the opposite. They're providing an example to the rest of the industry of what taking care of your employees will do for your company.

I don't know about where you work, but it's in the FA's job description at my company. And the last company I worked for also. You may not like it, but it's part of the job.

Oh, and it'd be a cold day in hell before I would throw any bags.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back