• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flying Pet Peeves!!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Guys that say "sugar" and "pop". Sounds gay.

Also, instructors who discretely try to dislodge a booger out of thier right nostril thinking I didn't see them from under the hood. Then roll it up between their fingers and drop it on the floor. Classic!

People who shout into the mike when making radio calls.

flytheblue said:
Super wide traffic patterns in a bugsmasher, that cause everyone else behind to extend their pattern for the traffic.
Super wide patterns on the Expressway Visual @ LGA that make me go around....thanks Spirit. Square it off doesn't mean take it out to the Hamptons...:rolleyes:

annoying "KING" videos

a$$ kissing instructors who would sell their soul to fly a baron

a passenger who approaches the cockpit to inform you that one of your engines isnt "turned on yet" when your tryin to save some fuel

pretty much anyone who owns and flys a bonanza

People who say, "Are you old enough to fly planes"

ANYONE who has an aviation related license plate like, "IFLYJET" or "RJFO"

pilots who think its sooo unprofessional to not wear your goofy hat

Captains who have thier own way of solving problems....use the f'ing QRH

Nose pickers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jobear

F/O's who use the little alcohol wipes to sanitize the cockpit before each leg. I mean c'mon! I've been doing this for six years without sanitizing anything, and I'm fine! [tic] [tic] :D

Time for a controller to VENT

Little pistons in the runup area, TWR, Cessna 13Mike ready to go rwy 32 even though they are in the runup area...by the time i clear them for take off to the time they are actually rolling on the runway is usually 60 seconds.

Pilots who don't say the atis code and get pissed when I ask if they have the atis
Pilots that say they have the atis and I ask what the atis code is and they get pissed

Pilots that pull up to the hold short lines and say ready to go even when there is a plane on a 1/4 mile final

Pilots holding short of a runway to cross, and say hey ground, were holding short. No **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**, i have eyes I can see, do you see that plane on short final?

Pilots that B line to final when i ask to report 5 miles so they actually have to get established outside five, there is a reason for that, then they are actually 45 degrees off centerline and 3 out. I have RADAR, I can see you!!!

CFI's that turn the radio down in the pattern, I give them there touch and go clearence, get no response, then 30 seconds later, twr 13Mike is midfield. 13M how do you hear tower? Loud and clear... Okay, for the second or third time , you are cleared touch and go.

The jets who think they should always be number1 over the cessna thats been waiting for 2 mins to get out.

The pricks that turn on the radio and just step on me even though Ive been mid sentence and talking for a good 10 seconds, LISTEN UP YOU **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**ERS!

Pilots that take other clearences for other aircraft
Pilots that think, Your number two to follow traffic ahead is a landing clearance....IT isn't, i didn't say cleared to land

People that violate my airspace. Gotta be my biggest petpeeve, I had 3 do that today.....and most of these idiots aknowledge when i say, Whos the aircraft 3 west at 1,800 northwest bound, uh....Cessna 75Gulf.....Duh, don't answer you idiots!!!!

Planes that turn base when following a plane, but never ever saw the plane and end up cutting them off.

pilots that say, Tower, there is an aircraft below us like 500ft and you didn't call the traffic. Say your distance from the airport?...10nm, well, first off your out of my airspace and 2nd off, verify your VFR!?!?

Pilots that come into my airspace when we are busy as **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** and the radio is saturated and then im like, who the hell are you and why are you downwind, well it was too busy to get in on the radio.....well if its busy on the radio so is the sky, so stay the **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** out until i say you can come in.

When the approach controllers get pissed if they have another IFR plane about to cross the fix, the first IFR is a mile final and I wont call him an arrival. He isn't an arrival until his wheels touch down, Ive seen these jets go around for no apparent reason on my end and If i call an arrival and they go around or crash its my deal.

There are more but ill stop now

Lrjtcaptain,
I agree with all your peeves (those which also affect the pilots), although I have been guilty of some in the past, probably will commit more in the future (I'm human). However the ATIS thing is a 2-way street. I can't say how many times I've called with the ATIS or heard another plane call with the ATIS on initial call only to have the controller verify the pilot has the weather. Certain controllers have a habit of this and I've just gotten used to saying it twice, it's expected.
The calling ready with an airplane on short final sometimes is due to differences in the way controllers work, and most of the time it is just ignorance. Some controllers will clear planes for takeoff in the order they call ready, regardless of efficiency. If two planes are approaching hold short lines at different spots on the runway, it is usally the plane that calls first that gets out first.
One thing I think helps is for a controller to tell me what his plans are to get me out of his airspace or coming in, such as remaining at a certain altitude for traffic or distance before climbing, or expected speed reductions/vectors for traffic. I like to keep sudden changes to the higher power piston engines to a minimum and knowing what to expect really helps out a lot. Of course a busy frequency throws that totally out the window.

Latest resources

Back