• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flying Pet Peeves!!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Some of the homebuilt pilots who fly at the Georgetown Texas airport make me wanna scream. GTU is a very busy uncontrolled airport in central Texas.

I'm there trying to land on a Saturday (big mistake I know). The pattern is saturated with everything from C-150s to King Airs to Citations. And of course the Citations and King Airs are flying much tighter patterns and shorter finals than the C150s.

Every few minutes a Pitts pilot does an overhead for no good reason other than causing even more chaos.

I wind up behind a Kitfox. I'm S-turning on final, no big deal, I allowed for him as much as I could. He can't help being slow.

Kitfox touches down on brick one at about 20knots ground speed. His tailwheel touches about 30 feet latter. He then begins to taxi at walking pace for the next 2500 feet to the midfield turn off!

I go around into another pattern of death cursing the fool.

Why are you asking a VFR guy to fly through a localizer? Just curious.
I suppose the keyword here is 'localizer' and your assuming very few VFR guys have an idea what that is. Perhaps a better word would of been "extended centerline of the runway".

Anyway, if that was not what you ment, then here goes more - If he were still on downwind, he would of been told to "extend downwind, i'll call your base" or similar. But since he was on base, best thing to do was to switch him from a LEFT hand pattern to a RIGHT hand pattern & join the right hand pattern downwind. This is basically the same as extending downwind - just on the other side. :)

As long as this has become a uncontrolled field pet peeve discussion, what about all of the people who lie about their position on the unicom. If you are on a 3 mile base for XX runway, why would you tell everybody that you are joining the downwind for XX runway on a 45??? And another thing, why does it seem that Mooney drivers fly the biggest pattern known to man. For God's sake you have speedbrakes...........learn to use them and stay in the same area code as the place you are going to land.........

About calling tower ready when there is traffic on short final, how else are you supposed to "get in line" for takeoff?

If there's a plane in line behind me, I'm sure they'll call ready for takeoff as soon as they are, regardless of traffic. If they call in before me, well, I guess they're going to be cleared for takeoff before me, right? In other words, I get the shaft if I sit there and wait for traffic on short final to land before calling ready, why the guy behind me who called in first gets to taxi around me (if he can) and fly away first.....

I know I've related this before, but it bears repeating...how about the precious character who checked onto the frequence by stating:

"Center, Delta Sixteen-Twenty-One, descending to one-one thousand, outta sixteen-five on my mark. Mark! Good morning."

:rolleyes:

Student's who take all day to clear runways!!! Pilots who taxi all the way to the ramp with the flaps still down!!!

Pilots when approaching an uncontrolled field, call in for aiport advisories; meanwhile had they just listened for a second or two would have figured it out by the dozen or so aircraft in the pattern making their respective postion calls.
But no they still have to call in and ask which runway is in use.

Alchemy said:
About calling tower ready when there is traffic on short final, how else are you supposed to "get in line" for takeoff?

If there's a plane in line behind me, I'm sure they'll call ready for takeoff as soon as they are, regardless of traffic. If they call in before me, well, I guess they're going to be cleared for takeoff before me, right? In other words, I get the shaft if I sit there and wait for traffic on short final to land before calling ready, why the guy behind me who called in first gets to taxi around me (if he can) and fly away first.....
Maybe I misunderstand what you're trying to say, but if you're number one at the hold bars waiting for traffic and the guy behind you calls ready to go-- he might get cleared, but in most cases he's not going to be able to go around you to get to the runway. That's a pretty good way to piss off a controller I would imagine. Of course, this is all a moot point if everyone just waited until they were number one before they called ready to depart.

Cool pilot voices! You guys must stay home at nights with a tape recorder practicing. Do us all a favor, speak up, speak clearly and for gods sakes put a sock on your mike!!!

Latest resources

Back