Flying Pet Peeves!!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Redheadbro,

You think that is bad. Try coming out of TEB (my second home) doing .90 going to CLT and getting cut off by a USAIR bus coming out of Philly doing .76.........ATC: Can you slow as much as pratical?

I feel your pain brother.

My pet peeve is to the morons who automatically equate one political persuasion with intelligence and bring it up in the cockpit.

People who preach their religion to me in the cockpit and think I'm going to hell because I don't want to hear it from them.

FO's who think they're Captains.

Captain's who act like CFI's for the entire trip.

Controllers who issue taxi clearances for clearing the runway while we're deceleratng through 100kts.

The TSA.

Pasengers who take their seat then pull their cell phone out and talk as loud as possible about some really important business deal and think the rest of us are impressed.

Pet Peves?

I hate it when people bitch and moan about stupid, irrelevant sh!t because they like to moan and complain and whine.

Accepting 'good enough' instead of striving for excellence

It would bug me when copilots accepted 5050 or 4975 instead of constantly correcting to maintain the assigned 5000. Same thing with heading. 067 degrees is not 065 degrees.

Granted, in a helo or anything else there are times when +/- 100 ft or 10 degrees is outstanding flying... and who can continually hand fly 066 degrees with no error... but my point is that we were all taught to be continually be making the small corrections and I eventually had to say something if the corrections weren't being made.

empenage said:
Pet Peves? I hate it when people bitch and moan about stupid, irrelevant sh!t because they like to moan and complain and whine.
You're in the wrong industry, my friend! Maybe you should consider becoming a massage therapist. This...
hydroflyer said:
Excessive thrust to start moving or taxiing across a ramp.
...is not "stupid, irrelevant sh|t." It's not even a "pet peeve." It's careless and reckless.

And it's something I used to think the mainline guys had a monopoly on...until I started commuting and riding in back of a lot of our RJ's. It's more common than I thought. Nine times out of ten, if you just release the parking brake and wait, it'll roll. There's no need to go to takeoff power to leave the ramp!

Last edited:
empenage said:
Pet Peves?

I hate it when people bitch and moan about stupid, irrelevant sh!t because they like to moan and complain and whine.
Are you kidding me? All pilots exel in bitching and moaning about topics both relevant and irrelevant. Ever since Orville complained about the drafty cockpit, it's never changed. It's in the job description and always will be.

Oh, and Skywest EMB-120 crews:
We know you're faster than the Mighty Saab, so when ATC tells you to slow to 220 for spacing, save the crying. It gets old after awhile!

Whiney pilots

I can't stand whiney pilots who gripe about everyone and everything. Just deal with it! Do your job and shut your hole.

EagleRJ said:
...Skywest EMB-120 crews...when ATC tells you to slow to 220 for spacing, save the crying.
Why do you think Skywest guys are the only ones doing that? You should hear Southwest getting a speed reduction! (Granted, it doesn't happen that often...)

Why, even I've been known to reply, "[sigh] ooooooookay, slow to two-fifty, Candler Blah-blah-blah..." :rolleyes:

Following Southwest...ever hear of a glideslope?

Latest resources

Back