Flying Pet Peeves!!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
gkrangers said:
I don't understand why the person that does the ATIS feels the need to read the wind information so fast that its 100% unintelligible.
You should try and listen to the guy in VPS. Sheesh, I swear he works as an auctioneer on his days off.

As far as pet peeves, guys who like to put their hands on the flap levers when they think they should be called for. Same thing for the gear handle.

Asking for altitude and heading changes when it's not his leg to fly.

And the worst is farting in the cockpit and not warning you about it. Atleast tell me so I can put the eye ball vent directly into my face.

You want the whole list or just the top ten?

Oh yeah...

--Listening to ATIS more than once.

--Riding the brakes when pulling more than minimum thrust.

--Adjusting the volume on the radio when you have your own volume control on your own audio panel.

--You call for your clearance, "with Alpha," and clearance delivery gives you your clearance, "...Alpha is current." No sh!t sherlock.

--Giving your entire life story when requesting something, "Well, we're picking up some ice but we're pretty heavy so I don't think we'll make it to 15,000 can we have 10,000 instead, or let's see, how about a block 10 to 12 that way we can duck under the headwinds......"

--Not bringing a calculator.

--Not wearing a watch.

--Not using a pen.

--Telling me what an awesome pilot you are and then blowing an approach for no good reason.

--Capts who are *always* the 'flying pilot' even when the co-pilot is flying.

Thanks I feel better now.

mar said:
Listening to ATIS more than once.
Guilty...but only because of another pet peeve: AWOS's you can't pick up because there's some dorky little airpark right under you with the same AWOS frequency! (Am I the only one that gets pissed off by that?)

Another personal P.P.: people who say "on the hold" or "pause and hold" when cleared "into position and hold."

Last edited:
My boss: "Fresno ground Lear 123AB, clearance, atis, Signature, taxi." Drives me insane.

Landing the Learjet with power because he's afraid if he pulls it to idle, it's going to fall out of the sky. :rolleyes:

Crossing the fence at 140, even when ref's 120, 'cause he's afraid if he gets slower than 140 it's going to fall out of the sky. :rolleyes:

Being terrified of the airplane you fly.

CFI's that think you got the ATIS/AWOS on the first time around, failed to pick it up themselves, and start tuning in the next freq on the radios.

Excessive thrust to start moving or taxiing across a ramp.

Pilots who insist on waiting until reaching the hold short line to do their run-up and ALL after start items, meanwhile blocking access to the runway for the other 8 airplanes behind them.

-FOs who finished the preflight 15 minutes ago and are all buckled in and ready to go, and they turn and say, "oh, and I don't know if you want to do anything about it, but we have a light out/ worn tire/ oil leak etc." Great. Now we're going to take a delay! Grrrr...

-757s that use toga power to cross a runway, even when they know someone's behind them.

-Guys who tell the tower "we're ready in sequence" when we're #5 in line, or tell the tower we're ready when there's traffic on like 3/4 mile final. Guess what the tower is going to say?

-Taxiing with the strobes on.

-Guys who jealously guard the clearence printout and don't mention when there's a change from the usual route.

-Controllers who get b!tchy when you try to clarify a confusing or garbled clearance.

-Mechanics who feel they need to change the position of every friggin' switch and knob in the cockpit before they release it back into service.

-Passengers.

SWA pilots whining about being slowing down because they're behind an RJ doing .78 Mach. Cry me a river. I've never heard so much moaning in my life guys! Remember, before you guys got the 737 NG's, you were flying at M.75 or so in those 200's and 300's, slowing everybody else down. I don't remember people whining about having to slow for ol' SWA as often as you guys moan and complain. What's the big freakin' rush guys! Suck it up!

Hey EagleRJ,

I have my FO tell the tower we're ready when there's traffic "on like 3/4 mile final" even though we all know he'll say "Roger. Hold Short." Why? Because even though the AIM says that a tower controller is supposed to assume a turbine powered airplane is ready when it reaches the end, many of them will just let me sit there burning jet fuel until I tell them I'm ready. I've seen it a thousand times. I get to the end. There's not another airplane in the entire state inbound. I sit there waiting for the controller to give me a pos and hold clearance. Nothing. Finally, I think "f... it! I'll let 'im know I'm ready." Bingo. "Eagleflight XXX cleared for takeoff. Piper Pacer on a 100 mile final." Sheesh.

Ya know what's a pet peev of mine? An fo who says to me after I tell him to let the tower know we're ready, "Why? There's a guy on a half mile final. He'll just say Rog. Hold short." Hmmm. Ya think (I'm thinking)?! "Yea. I know. I just want to let him know so he'll let us go when he's got an opening instead of waiting till either I tell him I'm ready or I run outa fuel. So, give him a heads up, please. Thanks."

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back