• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flying Pet Peeves!!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not using a radio at an uncontrolled field just because you don't have to.

Private pilot students.

on a uncontrolled field somewhere in the bahamas: this is xxxx airlines, a beech 1900 D airliner, 30 mile final, decending through 9000' for landing runway 9 at yyyy, traffic in the area in the area please advise, and what is the wind doing?

a: I don't care about D airliner, Beech 1900 is enough, as a matter of fact I don't even care what airline or flight number. Beech 1900 is all I need to know to plan my arrival or departure. 30 miles out and distance, fine. Traffic in.......... if you listened up there are 5 planes inbound, 3 waiting on the ground. the frequency is already congested enough with everybody in the Bahamas and adjacent Florida talking on 122.8. The wind: a look down at the ocean shows perfectly calm water, meaning calm wind at the airport.

People 'checking in' or 'with you' when talking to the next controller. He knows you're coming. When you open your mouth, he knows you are there

Guys that begin every radio call with "and". Usually they'll drag the word out a bit too:

"Aaaand XXX traffic, Cessna 123AB left downwind for 18."
"Aaaand XXX traffic, Cessna 123AB left base for 18."

Golden Eagle

Wow, Golden Eagle is checking in!!!
Your the Air Force, right??
What Kind of jet is it??? Do you have anyone important on board???
Watch out Here comes Maverick!!!

No, You're a friggin Twin Cessna. You dont ever hear Chancellor of Titan or Businessliner or god forbid Utililiner do you???
Shut up Golden Eagle.

metrodriver said:
People 'checking in' or 'with you' when talking to the next controller. He knows you're coming. When you open your mouth, he knows you are there
Serious question: How are you supposed to let them know that you are on freq?

RipCurl said:
Serious question: How are you supposed to let them know that you are on freq?
I think metrodriver was talking about the usage of "with you" or "checking in" - not the fact that you're checking in to begin with.

"Houston Center, Cessna 123AB level eight thousand." is all you need per the AIM.

Oh it's just the extra phrase that he was talking about. I thought he meant that it bothered him when people called up initially, period... :p

Latest resources

Back