• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flying Pet Peeves!!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wind checks on short final...can't you see the windsock, or at least, can't you tell what the winds are doing by FLYING the airplane?

It think it was Vector4fun who stated that any wind readout he'd give would just be an average of winds from several minutes earlier.

bigD said:
Guys that begin every radio call with "and". Usually they'll drag the word out a bit too:

"Aaaand XXX traffic, Cessna 123AB left downwind for 18."
"Aaaand XXX traffic, Cessna 123AB left base for 18."

This is what nightmares are made of. I flew with a guy that did this exact thing and it drove me CRAZY!!!!

I've found that guys who think that they know everything about flying are very annoying to those of us that do.

Approach, Flight XXX level at 4,000, information Hotel, request direct for visual.

Roger, expect vectors way out of the way for the ILS to Runway 8, Say call sign again and information Hotel is current.

WTF

And you can even leave the 'Houston Center' and 'level' out of it. I never know who I'm talking to anyway. You're on center, then approach, back to center, then departure...... Oh well, as long as someone responds when I say xxxx, 8000.

Probably my biggest pet peeve: people not turning on their transponder. Had a near miss (euhhh, near hit) with a big seaplane from the US' oldest airline over the ocean. I was IFR in broken clouds, he was VFR, no txpdr going through a hole. Could have cost 45 people their lives. My TCAS won't pick you up unless you turn on the transponder (it has saved my day already many times, it's the most important piece of equipment in my aircraft)

Super wide traffic patterns in a bugsmasher, that cause everyone else behind to extend their pattern for the traffic.

bigD said:
Guys that begin every radio call with "and". Usually they'll drag the word out a bit too:

Who the heck started this anyway? I hear military helo guys do it, as well. I just don't get it! It's like a cancerous accent or something.

A combinatoin of quite possibly all of the annoying center calls put into one conversation...feel free to add something I missed.

(Without listening to freq first) "aaaanddd xxx center, yyyy checking in with you 22.3 for FL270"
"Roger yyyy, xxx center, xyz altimeter 29.92. Reset transponder, squak 0328". "yyyy 2992 on the meter, 0328 on the flasher"

Jeez people, read the aim.

bigD said:

That too...

There is a C210 or C206 (don't recall which now) based at KRYY.........its been so long since I've flown. He flies every day and would come up behind me (or anyone else) in line for t/o and come over to the tower frequency and call "ready to go behind the trainer." :rolleyes: I was in a 172RG.

FO's that insist on waking me up before the FAF...

thos who call the twr when told to monitor...

AA 757/767 pilots who insist on leveling off on an ILS to slow to flap speed and then fly above it the rest of the way down...

pilots on the radio who sound like they have the mike boom shoved up their nose..

and finally those who insist on asking "whats our sequence" every two minutes at DFW...yeah, I'm talking about you AA

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back