Flying Pet Peeves!!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bos Ground/Tower

when KBOS tells me to pull up closer to the A340 or B757 when my Navajo only weighs 7400lbs fully loaded. Nothing like being hovering 2 feet off the ground on Taxi way November.

And slowing down for anything with jet engines on it when im in my Navaslow

IAD controllers.

More specifically, IAD controllers that need a physics lesson. Two airplanes doing 250kts stay the EXACT same distance apart from eachother as do two airplanes doing 170KTS. (Go to ORD, watch and learn)

bigD said:
Guys that begin every radio call with "and". Usually they'll drag the word out a bit too:

"Aaaand XXX traffic, Cessna 123AB left downwind for 18."
"Aaaand XXX traffic, Cessna 123AB left base for 18."

Useless trivia for the day:

Early radios that had vacuum tubes took a second or two between when you mashed the mic button and when your words went out on the air. Some pilots started off with the extra words to make sure their calls were being transmitted completely. People who do it today probably heard an old-timer do it and figured it sounded cool or something.

I agree- knock it off!

52Vincent said:
Pilots when approaching an uncontrolled field, call in for aiport advisories; meanwhile had they just listened for a second or two would have figured it out by the dozen or so aircraft in the pattern making their respective postion calls.
But no they still have to call in and ask which runway is in use.
Dont be so quick to judge. CFI's have to teach their students how to request an airport asdvisory. When your student flys once a week on saturday when every uncontrolled airports pattern in the area is busy as $h!t, you cant only have him/her listen to the radio to figure out whats going on in the pattern. Sure, thats what they should do. But, because of primacy, if thats all they do, thats alll they WILL EVER do. They will never ask for a traffic advisory unless you make sure they do it every once in a while. This scenario often happens to be the case more often than not.

Airport Advisories are used when there is a FSS on the field (as per AC 90-42F). I assume that you are using the term as it is normally used (if not - disregard the rest of this post).

You have to learn how to request an airport advisory? News to me and I have flown into airports where I have never seen another aircraft in motion when I was a student. I have also had it be me and an aircraft w/o an electrical system in the pattern and thus asking for airport advisories does jack.

If you want to know what I am talking about: http://www.avweb.com/news/news/183049-1.html (AC 90-42F)

Ok, my pet peeve...calling a non-towered airport "uncontrolled". Makes it sound like we are all out doing loopty-loops in the pattern.

mooser said:
Student's who take all day to clear runways!!! Pilots who taxi all the way to the ramp with the flaps still down!!!
Dash 8 pilots who use 9000' on rollout so they can turn off in front of the commuter concourse.

ARTCCs who start your descents 250nm out.
ARTCCs who climb/descend you 1000' at a time.
500kt aircraft vectored behind 300 kt aircraft
Aircraft capable of 5000+ fpm stuck behind a plane struggling at 1000 fpm.
Any airliner above FL370.:D

Best clearance....Fly runway heading, climb and maintain FL410. Oh if we could only get that at TEB:p

mooser said:
Pilots who taxi all the way to the ramp with the flaps still down!!!
Our procedures require us to set the flaps for the next takeoff after landing (unless it's the last flight of the day). Get over it.

Jedi:

Jedi_Cheese said:
Airport Advisories are used when there is a FSS on the field (as per AC 90-42F). I assume that you are using the term as it is normally used (if not - disregard the rest of this post).

You have to learn how to request an airport advisory? News to me and I have flown into airports where I have never seen another aircraft in motion when I was a student. I have also had it be me and an aircraft w/o an electrical system in the pattern and thus asking for airport advisories does jack.

If you want to know what I am talking about: http://www.avweb.com/news/news/183049-1.html (AC 90-42F)
No I am not talking about the local airport advisory provided by an FSS (AIM 4-1-9-d) Im talking about the the airport "advisory" provided by UNICOM. Check out AIM 4-1-9-h. I'll sumarize for you: UNICOM communication procedures; Report approximately 10 miles from the airport....and request wind information and runway in use (ie. airport advisory...kinda like saying "looking" instead of the official terminoligy: negative contact) And yes, you do need to know how to request an advisory on UNICOM frequency as well as know the difference between UNICOM and CTAF. Otherwise an examiner might fail you. As far as practical uses Id file it under the "good to know" category especially if you'd like to become a CFI oneday. Keep in mind I never said not to use the see and avoid method as well.

New Pet Peeve:
Low-time pilots who think they have been "studying" and know more than the pilot who flys something a little bigger than a warrior just cause he/she is not flying little planes anymore.

zeroline said:
Dont be so quick to judge. CFI's have to teach their students how to request an airport asdvisory. When your student flys once a week on saturday when every uncontrolled airports pattern in the area is busy as $h!t, you cant only have him/her listen to the radio to figure out whats going on in the pattern. Sure, thats what they should do. But, because of primacy, if thats all they do, thats alll they WILL EVER do. They will never ask for a traffic advisory unless you make sure they do it every once in a while. This scenario often happens to be the case more often than not.
My CFI does not do this. At least he hasn't done it yet. Radio's busy as hell, and we can hear all the way to Joliet from pattern altitude (from Peoria), but he just has me look out the window and make sure I'm not going to hit anyone before entering the pattern. (Granted there is only one runway so it's not very difficult. Maybe he'll ask me to do it later when we go somewhere busier. I'll probably say "I have eyes" or something and see if he insists, but he doesn't seem the lazy-shortcut type.)

Latest resources

Back