Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah, your engines are upside down.

CLAMBAKE

Well played pkober... well played. I didn't see that one coming. I even got a chuckle out of it. Hindsight, I stand corrected... them some funny premadonnas! Fly safe boys!

O-r
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS BOTH NEED TO BE CHANGED, AND FOR THE SAME REASON

Thanks,

I don't think a Guard Herc pilot has ever been called a premadonna. We are usually the ones with ketchup stains on our bags.

CLAMBAKE

No, the primadonnas are the fighter guys who insist on the life support dudes carrying their helmets to the airplane. O-r, at least you're in the BOQ, with cable and telephone and per diem. I'll be giving Uncle Sam $7 a day back for the next six months to pay for the triangle fish and over-cooked spaghetti they feed me on the carrier. At least my under-roos get cleaned in fresh water instead of salt water.

Clambake, I got stuck at Little Rock AFB for a few days a couple of months ago. We somehow got assigned General's quarter at the Q for a night. Dem r sum nice digs down der in Arkansas!

I'll chime in on my experience; I am currently talking/schmoozing my way into an AF reserve unit. It is a total of 60 days a year to get a good year (counts toward retirement) but like most units they understand your priorities (family, civ job, then unit) and will excuse you from drill and what not if there are more important things going on in your life that weekend. It is an E-3 unit and they are very laid back and currency is not as back breaking as an eagle or viper unit, therefor much less required flying. Both reserve and guard units are golden nuggets...take it if it is offered. I am also planning on applying to the Air Force through OTS when the time comes and am in the process of applying for the Navy's bachelor degree completion program just to keep my options open. Hopefully after all the dust settles (CFI hours, UPT, spin up) I'll have a nice civilian job waiting for me at possibly airtran or jet blue....wink wink! The way I see it guard and reserve units are all the pros of the military without the cons. Bottom line is stay away from the military if you dont have that desire in your heart to do anything to protect your country; besides that always bring a good case of beer.

Almerick07 said:
I'll chime in on my experience; I am currently talking/schmoozing my way into an AF reserve unit. It is a total of 60 days a year to get a good year (counts toward retirement) but like most units they understand your priorities (family, civ job, then unit) and will excuse you from drill and what not if there are more important things going on in your life that weekend. It is an E-3 unit and they are very laid back and currency is not as back breaking as an eagle or viper unit, therefor much less required flying. Both reserve and guard units are golden nuggets...take it if it is offered. I am also planning on applying to the Air Force through OTS when the time comes and am in the process of applying for the Navy's bachelor degree completion program just to keep my options open. Hopefully after all the dust settles (CFI hours, UPT, spin up) I'll have a nice civilian job waiting for me at possibly airtran or jet blue....wink wink! The way I see it guard and reserve units are all the pros of the military without the cons. Bottom line is stay away from the military if you dont have that desire in your heart to do anything to protect your country; besides that always bring a good case of beer.

Almerick07,
You may have a desire to serve your country, but reading your post sounds like you are only willing to do the bare minimum. The military is about sacrifice my friend... active duty, ANG, or reserves. Do us a favor and go VFR direct to Airtran or jetBlue (wink, wink).

Last edited:
Almerick07 said:

And y'all stomped on me like a f$ckin' piñata on cinco de mayo? WTF
But, I digress. I'll take the advice of Mud Eagle to heart and go receive-only mode until I've actually done anything of consequence with my life ....like when (IF I meant IF!!) I'm FTU complete or the like....

Last edited:
Believe it or not, a lot of civilian pilots get crushed in UPT. It usually isn't flying skills that get them eliminated, its a culmination of a bad, self serving attitude burning up any green stamps they have looong before they might really need to cash one or two in after a bad day.

Highsight is learning. You obviously missed something. EVERY time I flew into some god-forsaken no-fly container there were some AWACS bros there doing their thing. They took off before me, landed after me, and ate in the same crappy chow halls and slept in the same crappy tents or Qs. An active duty Tinker guy in the 90s might be gone 220 + days a year. Those same guys are now your ADOs, DOs, and Commanders. If they pick up the vibe you sent out here on the internet, I'd say its a safe bet your time in UPT and/or your gaining unit won't be nearly as much fun as you think it will be. You are a phone call away from being sent to combat when you are in the ANG/Reserves, and you cannot forget that. When that call comes, there is no "geez, I've got plans, an upgrade at my airline, etc etc" that will change your life for the next 30 days to 2 years. Enjoy the good side of the reserves, but understand WHY you are there and what those obligations really mean. Last year 2 guys at FDX were killed in fighter mishaps--there is still a cost of doing business in the combat or combat training arena, even if you are not active duty.

Almerick07,
You may have a desire to serve your country, but reading your post sounds like you are only willing to do the bare minimum. The military is about sacrifice my friend... active duty, ANG, or reserves. Do us a favor and go VFR direct to Airtran or jetBlue (wink, wink).

I was stating the facts, the only reason I am doing the reserves opposed to AD was for the sake of loved ones, my fiance...whose dad flew AD (AWACS) and she hated the lifestyle growing up. Honestly I would love to go full time at the unit, that is my ultimate goal. Unfortunatly I cant plan on that so I need to plan on something else. I spent 2 years in AFROTC before I made this decision which as of 6 months ago I knew nothing about, all I was trying to do is give other kids like me out there the facts about it. Atleast I have this option and still get to serve my country. Not to mention,
I am also planning on applying to the Air Force through OTS when the time comes and am in the process of applying for the Navy's bachelor degree completion program just to keep my options open.

Maybe that has something to do with my girl??? I didnt know yall wanted a love story but bottom line is loosen up, we're all here for the same reason.

Almerick07 said:
I was stating the facts, the only reason I am doing the reserves opposed to AD was for the sake of loved ones, my fiance...whose dad flew AD (AWACS) and she hated the lifestyle growing up. Honestly I would love to go full time at the unit, that is my ultimate goal. Unfortunatly I cant plan on that so I need to plan on something else. I spent 2 years in AFROTC before I made this decision which as of 6 months ago I knew nothing about, all I was trying to do is give other kids like me out there the facts about it. Atleast I have this option and still get to serve my country. Not to mention,

Almerick07,
I hope the ANG or the Reserves turns out to be what you think it is, but having spent over 10 years (and still counting) on active duty I feel I am educated enough to warn you that it isn't. It may have been in years past, but nowadays, people, planes and parts are spread pretty thin. You may want to go back a re-read Albie's post about getting "the call" to serve (well said Albie) and prepare your fiance for the lifestyle of a someone in today's ANG/Reserves... or get a new fiance.

And another thing... I would wait til after you land from your first mission anywhere other than your local FBO before you start telling those who have "been there and done that" to "loosen up".

Alright... I am done with this soapbox. Anybody else need it?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back