• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flying for the Air National Guard

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bottom line is we are all here doing the same thing, you are doing it full time. I will be doing it part time. There are pros and cons with either side, its just what makes the better fit. Will I be less of a man because the only way I can do it is part time? This is stupid to argue who is right and who is wrong; I dont think reserves are better than active duty and I hope you dont look down upon everyone who is involved in the reserves. War is a nasty thing but I am willing to do whatever I can to make sure my kids and your kids grow up and live life with complete freedom.

Last edited:
hindsight2020 said:
And y'all stomped on me like a f$ckin' piñata on cinco de mayo? WTF
But, I digress. I'll take the advice of Mud Eagle to heart and go receive-only mode until I've actually done anything of consequence with my life ....like when (IF I meant IF!!) I'm FTU complete or the like....

Just a minor point from a former FTU instructor: FTU complete might be a tad early to come out of receive only mode. It will take you at least a year after FTU to have developed into a fighter pilot worthy of "transmitting". ;) Other than that - sounds like a good plan.

Almerick07 said:
I love the military and everything it is about, but I do also love my fiance and respect the fact she doesnt want to marry me if i am AD.

What about the active duty time you spend jumping through the hoops for three years while you are on your way to the reserve job? Is she not going to marry you because of that?

Is she going to travel with you while you're on active duty? Or is she going to stay home, so you can come back to her in a few years to find her as you left her...freshly f#@*#$.

Is she going to divorce you if/when your unit gets activated, because you are then on active duty?

Sounds like the military doesn't fit into her gameplan at all.

What if later on you get on with Airtran or JetBlue and then get furloughed, and the only job you can get is on the other side of the country? What if that job isn't an airline job, so no jumpseat bennies, but a corporate or charter job? No commuting from a home that is close to the Reserve unit...nope, you're moving, buddy. Of course, instead of moving, you could bum at the unit and flip burgers at Wendy's the rest of the time.

If you want to be successful in aviation, you better come to the realization that whether it's military or civilian, you better be mobile. I've moved 15 times in the last 10 years, and a lot of that was for civilian jobs!

Here's a plan for you: dump the broad, go active duty Marine Corps with the guaranteed aviation option. Whatever you do in the Corps, you'll be working with some of the best individuals you'll ever know in your life. You will experience a transformation at OCS. TBS will give you a new insight into the life of a grunt. You will learn to fly in the grand traditional of all those naval and Marine aviators who have come before you. Additionally, women will go insta-moist when you are in your dress blues, you'll get to kill lotsa bad guys, see the world, convert your bloodstream into an alcoholstream, and pay homage every 10 November. The Marines' Hymn will give you goosebumps, and you will be part of a brotherhood that really means something, especially when it hits the fan.

And if you bump into the ex-fiance 10 years later, you'll be proud to show her your girlfriend who is ten years younger than her, bisexual, a complete hammer, and is a nymphomaniac.

Here's another hint for you: embrace the suck.

Thanks for all the advice, but.....she is willing to make some sacrifices as well. If I have to move across the country we will just cross that bridge when it gets here, why speculate on stuff like that? As far as AD goes both I know and she knows there will be a move every 3 years.
Now I apologize if I am wrong for loving my fiance more than a career, but that wont change.
Did you miss that somewhere in the last post?

Latest resources

Back