Flying for the Air National Guard

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
hindsight2020 said:
it isn't because I don't know what I'm talking about, it's because it's futile to try and have a productive exchange with all this Type A 'if you don't fly the F-16' stench on this board.

No, that's not the point. If you want to fly a fighter in the USAF, then you're going to have to play by the rules. One rule is that #2 shuts his pie-hole and listens to #1 -- even if he all ready knows, and even if he all ready knows *better*.

A lesson that you ought to be taking from this whole deal is that there's more to the fighter game than good hands (and even that, at your stage, is an unknown). There is also a 'good attitude' that goes along with it, and playing by the rules is one important aspect of having that good attitude.

I see a lot of different types of pilots come through IFF, with a wide range of skills. The ones who have a tough time are the ones who can't seem to grasp their position as "twop!", regardless of how much time they have in their logbook and in what type of aircraft.

As someone who seems intent on flying a fighter, I'd recommend being in receive-only mode for a while until you've actually accomplished something -- like at least being mission qualified in a MWS aircraft.

Hindsight,

Good luck in what ever you end up flying. Get a thicker skin and use some of the advise posted in this forum.

With that said, I'm out.

CLAMBAKE

pkober,

Zoid would have had a field day with this dude. I'm still laughing just thinking about it. Peace!

Korgs,

They broke the mold with Zoid.

Clambake

Pilot on the rise...

My name should actually be "pilot on the mend...", but when back in action I fly in the active duty F15 schoolhouse at Tyndall. The F16s at Luke and the F15s at Tyndall both have part-time guys who fly and support the mission. The Luke guys are Reservists, the Tyndall guys are Florida Guardsmen, and there are some organizational differences...but basically the same job. I am blessed to be here and enjoy in very much. There are also a very small number of reservists at Eglin and Langley...I won't reveal their names here but if they choose to pipe in they can offer their perspective on that gig.

AlbieF15 said:
Pilot on the rise...

My name should actually be "pilot on the mend...", but when back in action I fly in the active duty F15 schoolhouse at Tyndall. The F16s at Luke and the F15s at Tyndall both have part-time guys who fly and support the mission. The Luke guys are Reservists, the Tyndall guys are Florida Guardsmen, and there are some organizational differences...but basically the same job. I am blessed to be here and enjoy in very much. There are also a very small number of reservists at Eglin and Langley...I won't reveal their names here but if they choose to pipe in they can offer their perspective on that gig.

I just joined the Guard; 159th FW in New Orleans, which is an F-15 unit, so I am hoping to be flying the Eagle eventually. I officially signed up last Friday, and will not be leaving for basic training or tech. school until January, but I am excited. I will be an F-15 Crew Chief, so part of my tech. school will be at Tyndall. How is it at Tyndall?

Like the "Never pass up an opportunity..." quote. In the navy, I was taught as a nugget that, for the first six months, don't talk. For the next six months, speak only when spoken too. If you read between the lines, it's good advice to a FNG who's still got a lot to learn, good and bad, from the salty dogs.

I have averaged about 15 hours a month flying mostly the Tomcat over 9 years of active duty flying, with more recently. The flying can be hot and cold. On deployment, it's fairly common to see 30-40+ hrs/month or even more in combat, but there is usually a lull after a squadron returns. It also fluctuates depending on what you do for shore tour, and tactical jets definitely have some of the lowest flying times of any community in the Navy -- but I sign for the jet every time I go fly.

Supa

Hindsight,

Fly Navy my friend... Fly Navy! Sure our planes are old and we only have basic cable in our BOQ rooms (if we're lucky), but we have a very low quota of premadonnas.

flame on!

Let me get you guys started... yes, I fly P-3's... yes they suck... let's see... oh yeah... my mom... I miss anything fellas?

O-r
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS BOTH NEED TO BE CHANGED, AND FOR THE SAME REASON

Latest resources

Back