• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flex's new bases

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I never said that. I said that KR is a master of the illusion of choice. There is no doubt that he is a very smart and charismatic leader, but you just keep paying attention to his right hand that holds the changes you want like added bases, while his left hand will be changing things like longer / extended tours, or shorter off times. That's the illusion... and it is just the beginning. Before you know it, a lot will have changed, and you will be asking yourself how the hell it all happened.

There you are wrong again. The change in schedules at secondary bases were explained and discussed at length. We were given the chance to accept it or not.

Don't forget that the system still favors seniority. If you're in the top third, you most likely will get a favorable schedule.

Every flex pilot here had a choice whether to accept what was offered or not to. What was offered was more than flex has ever offered in 18 years and most of us are happy with it.

Maybe if we had the IBT representing us, they could have negotiated this as well. I wonder what we would have had to give up for bases? 20% of our pay? 401k match? Is job security really worth these kind of sacrifices when you can just go somewhere else?

I never said that. I said that KR is a master of the illusion of choice. There is no doubt that he is a very smart and charismatic leader, but you just keep paying attention to his right hand that holds the changes you want like added bases, while his left hand will be changing things like longer / extended tours, or shorter off times. That's the illusion... and it is just the beginning. Before you know it, a lot will have changed, and you will be asking yourself how the hell it all happened.

The only unexpected thing was 4 day min off period. I and the people I discussed the possibilities with thought the min would be 5. Since green lines will remain at 14-16 days (you can't be forced to higher yields), it is possible during bid period (BP) to bid period transition to be awarded 8-4-8-4-8-4-8 on two consecutive green lines. In order for that perfect storm to occur, you will have had 8 off prior and you will have 8 off following. Again, the yield hasn't changed, but that is kind of an ugly spud of a schedule. My personal feeling (I bid junior) is that this won't happen very often. We have peak days that need coverage through out the busy season and they are spread out enough to prevent this type award becoming the norm. I'm pretty excited about this. It is a very good change!

el raton,
Yes we did give up alot in the first contract, but it still was a big improvement for us. Some of us got a 48% increase over the term of the contract. Yes, having the protections of the 1108 does come with a price. And yes, having job security is not free.
As far as "just go somewhere else", I'll stick around and try to make FO a better place for ALL.

The only unexpected thing was 4 day min off period. I and the people I discussed the possibilities with thought the min would be 5. Since green lines will remain at 14-16 days (you can't be forced to higher yields), it is possible during bid period (BP) to bid period transition to be awarded 8-4-8-4-8-4-8 on two consecutive green lines. In order for that perfect storm to occur, you will have had 8 off prior and you will have 8 off following. Again, the yield hasn't changed, but that is kind of an ugly spud of a schedule. My personal feeling (I bid junior) is that this won't happen very often. We have peak days that need coverage through out the busy season and they are spread out enough to prevent this type award becoming the norm. I'm pretty excited about this. It is a very good change!

Mostly this. Peak will suck. More than normal. You'll have to watch how you end your bid months now as the optimizer tries to front load each month for some reason I have forgotten. And 8-4-8-4 is possible, but keep in mind other things like 5-3-8 will now be a scheduling possibility. Fans of the 5-3-6 can now up their game.

The bases are a good thing. I think that jacking with the bid rules will have unintended consequences that seem minor now, but will create a lot of frustration down the road.

Maybe if we had the IBT representing us, they could have negotiated this as well. I wonder what we would have had to give up for bases? 20% of our pay? 401k match? Is job security really worth these kind of sacrifices when you can just go somewhere else?

OK, so I'm really getting tired of you taking pot-shots at my union.

This is what we have in writing in the CBA my union negotiated. Here are the79 crew bases we can move among - two times per year every year at our individual discretion - snow bird clause. All of this is a cut and paste from our CBA:

13.4 Identification of Crew Bases

The 79 Crew Bases are as follows:

Airport Identifier City, State

ABQ Albuquerque, NM
ALB Albany, NY
ATL Atlanta, GA
AUS Austin, TX
BDL Bradley/Windsor Locks, CT
BHM Birmingham, AL
BIL Billings, MT
BNA Nashville, TN
BOI Boise, ID
BOS Boston, MA
BTV Burlington, VT
BUF Buffalo, NY
BWI Baltimore/Washington Airport, MD
CHS Charleston, SC
CLE Cleveland, OH
CLT Charlotte, NC
CMH Columbus, OH
CVG Cincinnati, OH/Covington, KY
DAY Dayton, OH
DCA Washington (Reagan), DC
DEN Denver, CO
DFW Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
DSM Des Moines, IA
DTW Detroit, MI
ELP El Paso, TX
EWR Newark, NJ
FLL Ft. Lauderdale, FL
GEG Spokane, WA
GRR Grand Rapids, MI
HOU Houston (Hobby), TX
IAD Washington (Dulles)/Sterling, VA
IAH Houston (Intercontinental), TX
ICT Wichita, KS
IND Indianapolis, IN
JAN Jackson, MS
JAX Jacksonville, FL
JFK New York (Kennedy), NY
LAS Las Vegas, NV
LAX Los Angeles, CA
LGA New York (La Guardia), NY
LIT Little Rock, AR
MCI Kansas City, MO
MCO Orlando, FL
MDW Chicago (Midway), IL
MEM Memphis, TN
MHT Manchester, NH
MIA Miami, FL
MKE Milwaukee, WI
MSP Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN
MSY New Orleans, LA
OAK Oakland, CA
OKC Oklahoma City, OK
OMA Omaha, NE
ORD Chicago (O?Hare), IL
ORF Norfolk, VA
PBI West Palm Beach, FL
PDX Portland, OR
PHL Philadelphia, PA
PHX Phoenix, AZ
PIT Pittsburgh, PA
PNS Pensacola, FL
PVD Providence, RI
PWM Portland, ME
RDU Raleigh/Durham, NC
RIC Richmond, VA
RNO Reno, NV
ROC Rochester, NY
RSW Ft. Myers, FL
SAN San Diego, CA
SAT San Antonio, TX
SDF Louisville, KY
SEA Seattle, WA
SLC Salt Lake City, UT
SMF Sacramento, CA
STL St. Louis, MO
SYR Syracuse, NY
TPA Tampa, FL
TUS Tucson, AZ
TYS Knoxville, TN

Last edited:
Also: Contained in three LOAs, which were negotiated as part of our CBA, are the current, restricted and supplemental crew bases (Grandfathered Domiciles) - which our pilots can maintain or lose if they choose to move. These domiciles are also subject to rules, contained in the CBA, which restrict their use should airline service fall off a benchmark set when the CBA was ratified. To my knowledge know-one has lost (due to a reduction in airline service) a current, restricted or supplemental crew base since the CBA was ratified in 2010.
LOA 13-001 APPENDIX A
Current Domiciles

ABE Allentown, PA
ATW Appleton, WI
AVL Ashville, NC
AVP Wilkes-Barre, PA
BGM Binghamton, NY
BLI Bellingham, WA
BMI Bloomington, IL
BTR Baton Rouge, LA
CAK Akron/Canton, OH
CHA Chattanooga, TN
CHO Charlottesville, VA
CID Cedar Rapids, IA
COS Colorado Springs, CO
CRP Corpus Christi, TX
CRW Charleston, WV
CWA Mosinee, WI
DAL Dallas (Love), TX
ELM Elmira, NY
ERI Erie, PA
EUG Eugene, OR
FAR Fargo, ND
FNT Flint, MI
FSD Sioux Falls, SD
GJT Grand Junction, CO
GNV Gainesville, FL
GPI/FCA Kalispell, MT
GPT Gulfport, MS
GSO Greensboro, NC
GSP Greenville/Spartanburg, SC
GTF Great Falls, MT
HLN Helena, MT
HSV Huntsville, AL
ISP Islip, NY
LAN Lansing, MI
LEX Lexington, KY
LFT Lafayette, LA
LNK Lincoln, NE
LYH Lynchburg, VA
MDT Harrisburg/Middleton, PA
MGM Montgomery, AL
MOB Mobile, AL
MYR Myrtle Beach, SC
PFN Panama City, FL
PSP Palm Springs, CA
ROA Roanoke, VA
RST Rochester, MN
SAV Savannah, GA
SBN South Bend, IN
SFO San Francisco, CA
SGF Springfield, MO

SHV Shreveport, LA
SNA Santa Ana/Orange County, CA
SRQ Sarasota, FL
SWF Newburgh (Stewart), NY
TLH Tallahassee, FL
TOL Toledo, OH
TUL Tulsa, OK
UNV/SCE State College, PA
VPS Ft. Walton Beach/Valparaiso, FL
XNA Bentonville, AR

LOA 13-001 APPENDIX B
Restricted Domiciles

ABY Albany, GA
BFF Scottsbluff, NE
CYS Cheyenne, WY
DBQ Dubuque, IA
DHN Dothan, AL
DRO Durango, CO
EAU Eau Claire, WI
FWA Ft Wayne, IN
HXD/HHH Hilton Head Island, SC
LSE La Crosse, WI
MBS Midland/Bay City/Saginaw, MI
MCN Macon, GA
MLB Melbourne, FL
MLU Monroe, LA
MOT Minot, ND
MWA Marion, IL
PLN Pellston, MI
RDD Redding, CA
SUX Sioux City, IA
TUP Tupelo, MS
TWF Twin Falls, ID
TYR Tyler, TX

LOA 13-002 APPENDIX A
Supplemental Crew Bases

More Grandfathered Domociles

CAE Columbia, SC
CMI Champagne, IL
BUR Burbank, CA
MTJ Montrose, CO

Keep in mind every pilot using these domiciles is on a 8/7, 7/7 or 16/2 ( which is essentially a 8/7 flex schedule).

There are no 8/4 schedules.

And the best part is it's in a collectively bargained CBA subject the the National Mediation Bord's rules, not the whim of management.

Last edited:
Keep in mind with the list above that those airports ARE the domicle, not 4 or 5 airports in the surrounding area of a major airport that they can also make you go to.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back